Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 28, 2024, 6:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North Korea - smear on atheism?
RE: North Korea - smear on atheism?
I meant a dirtying of the term by a state that is obviously not atheist but uses the word 'atheist' to refer to the atrocities done by them - had North Korea really been atheist they couldn't use the term 'heavenly leader' (that's what you implied?)
Kudos given by (1): Dawud
They absolutely could use that term and still be an atheist state in description. "Heavenly" does not equal "a god" - that's your own baggage in equating the two terms (and the baggage of others). Divine though, that one is a no-no (but only in a couple contexts of the word). Nevertheless, as before, it doesn't really matter(because they could just as easily call their leader a god and still describe themselves as an atheist state..again, political past that they feel compelled to maintain.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(April 20, 2013 at 9:12 am)Dawud Wrote: I meant a dirtying of the term by a state that is obviously not atheist but uses the word 'atheist' to refer to the atrocities done by them - had North Korea really been atheist they couldn't use the term 'heavenly leader' (that's what you implied?)

Well, I'd suggest that the term "Heavenly Leader," is just one symptom of the deification of the leaders of North Korea; even if they aren't using the term in a strictly religious manner it still denotes divinity. All that's really happened is that they've built up a man to the status of a god; there's worship there, even if it doesn't happen in a church. Add in all the magical claims the propaganda mill spews out there, and it begins to look awfully religious, in the same way that cults venerate their earthly leaders.

And you'd hardly claim cults are atheistic. Tongue
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(April 20, 2013 at 9:17 am)Rhythm Wrote: They absolutely could use that term and still be an atheist state in description. "Heavenly" does not equal "a god" - that's your own baggage in equating the two terms (and the baggage of others).

Sorry - thought this too but then it appeared it was being given as evidence NK was not atheist... No?

So atheists can't be religious then? Or in a cult?

This seems a little far fetched - no?
Given that the sole criteria for being an atheist is not believing in god or the religious claims of theists, how could an atheist be religious?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
PS you don't need to assume that I have little understanding of atheism - philosophy works best with the principle of charity that makes you engage with the persons argument in the best possible interpretation.

So your definition of religion is theism?

Religion is believing in God?
To be completely blunt, there is no such thing as an "atheist state" - no more so than a "christian state" or "muslim state". The people or the powers that be may be predominantly one or the other, but states themselves have no beliefs...and so descriptors like this usually serve a political or propaganda purpose first and foremost. In the case of N. Korea this is very plainly the case, as the whole "atheist state" song and dance is just a remnant of cold war drama. They no longer care about that- it's kept like a vestigial organ. Continuity of authority. Depending on the context of divine or heavenly (and on that I am unqualified to answer...the only N. Koreans I've ever known were civilian defectors working in electronics manufacturing- i can't tell you what N. Koreans take those two words to mean and neither directly, in every case, are equivalent to "god") the descriptor may or may not be accurate depending upon the vantage point of the observer. It certainly doesn't seem to be accurate to us (the inclusive us - we, you and I) - clearly, but that might have something to do with what we've invested the words divine and heavenly with, eh?

Now, the point in agonizing over whether or not N. Korea is an atheist state eludes me, supposing that they were (and that the term really applies) what then?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I agree with you - I don't think they are...

I think they are just pretending when they claim that the state ideology is an atheist one

I do say that they are then misrepresenting atheism as something that allows for belief in God.

I also agree that atheism is not an ideology or a moral system

But I don't agree that you can't be religious and an atheist.

Unless you have an insufficient definition of religion...

I think that people pick and choose if something is religious or not...

Is this not the case??
(April 20, 2013 at 9:36 am)Dawud Wrote: So your definition of religion is theism?

Religion is believing in God?

Pretty much. I mean, obviously there's more to it than that, but to be religious obviously implies you have a religion, and since atheism is a rejection of religious claims they're kind of mutually exclusive.

Of course, the waters do get muddy at points, and some theists like the old "atheism is a religion!" canard, but I feel like that just complicates things unnecessarily.

There are plenty of religions that allow for atheism.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 29150 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 13378 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12648 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10813 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12439 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 39606 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack