Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 18, 2024, 9:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you believe in the God of the Bible, why try to prove it logically?
RE: If you believe in the God of the Bible, why try to prove it logically?
(June 16, 2013 at 10:29 pm)catfish Wrote:
(June 16, 2013 at 10:23 pm)orogenicman Wrote: What part of my reply did you not understand?

Well, I don't understand why you ignored my scripture that refutes your scripture.... Undecided
(actually I do know why, I just wanted to rub it in your face a bit)

Because your scriptures didn't refute anything. Everyone on the planet knows that the god of the OT was a sociopathic prick, while the god of the new testament knocked up a virgin and killed his own son. Worship that? Are you insane?
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
(June 16, 2013 at 11:12 pm)orogenicman Wrote:
(June 16, 2013 at 10:29 pm)catfish Wrote: Well, I don't understand why you ignored my scripture that refutes your scripture.... Undecided
(actually I do know why, I just wanted to rub it in your face a bit)

Because your scriptures didn't refute anything. Everyone on the planet knows that the god of the OT was a sociopathic prick, while the god of the new testament knocked up a virgin and killed his own son. Worship that? Are you insane?

So, in other words, even though I posted verses from the OT (like yours), you're just going to cherrypick the verses that supports your literalist fundy view regardless of the fact that the verses I posted came "after" your verses. Gotcha, at least I can be sure you're a fundy now.
(June 16, 2013 at 10:23 pm)orogenicman Wrote:
(June 16, 2013 at 6:37 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Yet children just get it.

C'mon dude answer the question

What part of my reply did you not understand?

I understood your reply fully. Hence my answer. I posed a separate question which you didn't respond to.
(June 16, 2013 at 11:16 pm)catfish Wrote: So, in other words, even though I posted verses from the OT (like yours), you're just going to cherrypick the verses that supports your literalist fundy view regardless of the fact that the verses I posted came "after" your verses. Gotcha, at least I can be sure you're a fundy now.

So is it that all the previous verses that mention god's orders are false, or just the ones that make your religion look bad, catfish?

Because it'd be really funny if you were arguing for a position where even basic stuff like the ten commandments were lies.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(June 17, 2013 at 1:19 am)Esquilax Wrote:
(June 16, 2013 at 11:16 pm)catfish Wrote: So, in other words, even though I posted verses from the OT (like yours), you're just going to cherrypick the verses that supports your literalist fundy view regardless of the fact that the verses I posted came "after" your verses. Gotcha, at least I can be sure you're a fundy now.

So is it that all the previous verses that mention god's orders are false, or just the ones that make your religion look bad, catfish?

Because it'd be really funny if you were arguing for a position where even basic stuff like the ten commandments were lies.

No what's funny is you are about to tell me how I'm supposed to interpret it.
(June 16, 2013 at 11:16 pm)catfish Wrote:
(June 16, 2013 at 11:12 pm)orogenicman Wrote: Because your scriptures didn't refute anything. Everyone on the planet knows that the god of the OT was a sociopathic prick, while the god of the new testament knocked up a virgin and killed his own son. Worship that? Are you insane?

So, in other words, even though I posted verses from the OT (like yours), you're just going to cherrypick the verses that supports your literalist fundy view regardless of the fact that the verses I posted came "after" your verses. Gotcha, at least I can be sure you're a fundy now.

Let's revisit one of those verses I posted, just for example, shall we?

Quote:Moses, Eleazar the priest, and all the leaders of the people went to meet them outside the camp. But Moses was furious with all the military commanders who had returned from the battle. "Why have you let all the women live?" he demanded. "These are the very ones who followed Balaam's advice and caused the people of Israel to rebel against the LORD at Mount Peor. They are the ones who caused the plague to strike the LORD's people. Now kill all the boys and all the women who have slept with a man. Only the young girls who are virgins may live; you may keep them for yourselves.

Now, I don't know how you interpret that paragraph - apparently it is against your religion to ask questions in Sunday school - but it is clear to me that Moses ordered women and children to be murdered , and virgins to be given to his men to do with as they like. You apparently don't have a problem with any of this. Imagine the outrage had it been Obama that made the order.

Yes, I fully understand that we are talking about a different time, and a different culture from today. And dude, that's exactly the friggin point, isn't it? The god of the Bible was a genicidal sociopath. Most normal people don't subscribe to that sort of thing these days. YOU can't cherry pick the bible by only accepting only what you believe to be the good parts and ignoring the rest. It's the same friggin attitude that got pedophile Catholic priests in trouble the world over. It's the problem with the entire Judeo-Christian religion. Your entire history is one of repeated atrocities followed by unabashed denial. It took Rome 400 years to apologize for what it did to Galileo. 400 friggin years. And it has never apologized for the genocide that occurred during the Crusades.

Shall I continue?
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
(June 17, 2013 at 6:46 am)orogenicman Wrote: Shall I continue?

If you can provide one scrap of evidence that this was unjust killing and rape. So far there is none. Apparently we should take your word for that.

Would Obama be speaking for God? Would we know that retrospectively? Would we know if Moses here was actually speaking for God or if the Israelites, as God's people fighting in his name, were actually doing God's will? Are we sure that our exegesis is comensurate with our claims?
(June 17, 2013 at 7:42 am)fr0d0 Wrote: If you can provide one scrap of evidence that this was unjust killing and rape. So far there is none.

You are like the amoral defense attorneys who defend an obviously known criminal, allowing the individual to escape justice for his crimes.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
But my defendant is innocent until proven guilty. Or is that Christian baggage we should be torching?? Wink
(June 14, 2013 at 4:49 pm)Zarith Wrote: Common arguments for the existence of God (such as the ontological argument, the teleological argument, first cause, cosmology, etc), only get you as far as an abstract notion of some sort of god -- the kind that philosophers talk about (if you accept the arguments, that is).

If you believe that the God of the Bible really exists and has the properties ascribed to him by this book, then other means are required to justify belief in this specific God. Typically this comes down to either scriptural authority, or divine revelation, or some combination of the two (for example, belief in the truth of the message of the biblical prophets is belief in both of these things). Am I omitting anything here? Note that I am including 'personal experience with God' under the umbrella of revelation, as God revealing himself to you.

But if you are willing to accept revelation / scripture as vehicles for determining truth from falsehood, then what is the point in attempting to construct a logical argument for the existence of God in the abstract? You already have what you consider proof of his existence, and a logical argument won't prove that your particular God exists. If you are trying to convince someone, they will still have to accept scriptural authority or divine revelation, will they not?

If belief in revelation / scripture is both necessary and sufficient, and logic alone is insufficient -- why bother?

Because they can no longer kill or torture those who disbelieve.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why are Paul's writings in the Bible? Fake Messiah 122 7225 October 8, 2023 at 11:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Jerry Falwell Jnr "not a christian" and wanted to prove himself to not be like Snr GUBU 18 2062 November 1, 2022 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Why you can't find God MilesAbbott81 109 10237 September 19, 2022 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 45120 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  GOD's Mercy While It Is Still Today - Believe! Mercyvessel 102 9231 January 9, 2022 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Rainbow Why I believe in Jesus Christ Ai Somoto 20 2893 June 30, 2021 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Bible Study: The God who Lies and Deceives Rhondazvous 50 5813 May 24, 2019 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  How can you prove that the gospel of Mark is not the "word of god"? Lincoln05 100 12526 October 16, 2018 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  In the end, there's just what you personally believe Foxaèr 31 5077 August 12, 2018 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? vorlon13 92 9435 July 23, 2018 at 8:20 am
Last Post: SteveII