Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Why are Paul's writings in the Bible?
Why are Paul's writings in the Bible?
What does the presence of Paul's writings in the Bible imply? Does that mean that Paul was channeling Jesus in his writings, and thus, his words in the Bible are actually Jesus's words? Or are his epistles just his opinion about Christianity? -- but, if so, why would theological mushins of some guy be in a book that was supposedly written by God?
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Why are Paul's writings in the Bible?
(August 31, 2023 at 6:25 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: What does the presence of Paul's writings in the Bible imply? Does that mean that Paul was channeling Jesus in his writings, and thus, his words in the Bible are actually Jesus's words? Or are his epistles just his opinion about Christianity? -- but, if so, why would theological mushins of some guy be in a book that was supposedly written by God?

By all accounts (including his own), Paul was a religious fanatic, even before his conversion.  This made him and his writings useful to the budding church.

His works are a combination of his claimed revelation and his interpretations of it, so it’s kind of a mishmash. The epistles were generally aimed at the Christian churches he organized, making them pretty important to the nascent Jesus sect of Judaism.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I'm not an expert, but the canon was formulated (messily, over time) around those texts which were considered to be authoritative:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Developmen...ment_canon

Paul was held to be an apostle, commissioned directly by the risen Christ, and so was a figure of authority within the early church. The other leaders of the early church, notably Paul and James, accepted him and his authority as valid. He was a forceful and prolific figure who established churches and was affirmed by miracles. His writings, treasured by the early church, came to be seen as having divine inspiration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorship...e_epistles

Basically, then, the Pauline texts would be considered by most traditional Christians to be a mix of Paul's opinions and recollections and things passed to him directly by revelation, but all are divinely inspired and suitable in a special way for use by the church.
The only surviving form of Christianity is Paulism, which is attributed to the aftermath of the Jewish-Roman war of 66-70.  Apologists try to explain why James and Matthew contradict Paul, not why Paul contradicts James and Matthew.
(August 31, 2023 at 9:31 am)LinuxGal Wrote: The only surviving form of Christianity is Paulism, which is attributed to the aftermath of the Jewish-Roman war of 66-70.  Apologists try to explain why James and Matthew contradict Paul, not why Paul contradicts James and Matthew.

I call it Paulianity. 
The letters of Paul were not collected until the very end of the First Century. Until they were collected, the authentic letters were merely in the possession of local communities. 
When the call for "collection" went out, some communities sent in combo jobs, fakes, forgeries and whatever. There are (at least) 3 identifiable philosophies in the letters. 
It's a giant fricking mess. 

Paul was an Apocalyptic Jew, who is said to have "converted". He claimed and named himself as having apostolic status. His views actually remained the same.
He is also said to have "sat" at the feet of Gamaliel (a Hebrew expert of the time). Yet not one Jewish historian at the time mentions that a student of Gamaliel the Great (a hugely prestigious position) had "converted". Paul remained an Apocalyptic Jew, with one exception, .. he "came to see" that his (mythological Jesus), who lived in the heavens, was the messiah.

The Greek word used in Luke which says "this child shall be responsible for the *rise* and fall of many in Israel" is the same as Paul uses in talking about the resurrection, which is a "status" change not a physical resurrection. The Apocalyptic Jews thought Jewish heroes were "exalted" (not raised from the dead). "Exaltation" was a feature of Jewish Apocalypticism.
I haven't read it, but Ehrman wrote a book on the subject : "How Jesus became a god, the exaltation of a Jewish preacher from Galilee". There's also another good book on the subject, by a ("progressive") Christian seminary profesor of New Testament, Dr. Bernard Brandon Scott, entitled "The Trouble With Resurrection".
Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble. - Joseph Campbell  Popcorn

Militant Atheist Commie Evolutionist 
Poorly framed q. Its not "Why are Paul's writings -in- the bible" it's "Why are Pauls writings the bible.".

Same reason we all know how to do the macarena.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Because Paul was a literate fanatic while others were illiterate yokels, and somewhere inside even illiterate yokels there were embarrassment for other illiterate yokels?
(September 1, 2023 at 1:08 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Poorly framed q.  Its not "Why are Paul's writings -in- the bible" it's "Why are Pauls writings the bible.".

Same reason we all know how to do the macarena.

[Image: 10012.jpg]
Too many historical factors to take into consideration, but roughly speaking it partly has to do with Paul being one of the prominent leaders among the mid-first century Christians, and had quite a number of epistles written in his name - some of which he himself didn't write but nevertheless were accepted/believed as such by later Christians.
A little something called the Council of Nicaea, was it not?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44126 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Saints writings on Jews Fake Messiah 14 2480 December 21, 2019 at 8:46 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Paul's Writings Underpin Western Thought SteveII 232 17433 August 6, 2018 at 2:29 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Dating Paul's Writings JairCrawford 33 3017 July 30, 2018 at 7:19 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Why believe the bible? Angrboda 286 37389 July 22, 2018 at 10:00 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Paul's "persecution" of the early Christians? Jehanne 134 14918 February 22, 2018 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Paul's 500 witnesses. Jehanne 131 38562 May 14, 2017 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Saint Paul and temporal lobe epilepsy. Jehanne 1 1282 July 17, 2016 at 2:52 pm
Last Post: RobertE
Question Paul reshaping the church Aractus 58 10317 April 2, 2016 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: Aractus
  Paul the Apostle, seems kind of a liar. Authentic letters of Paul Coreni 10 4609 June 26, 2015 at 4:03 am
Last Post: Coreni