Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 21, 2024, 4:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lighter Skin = Better?
RE: Lighter Skin = Better?
(July 12, 2013 at 3:11 pm)Chuck Wrote:
(July 12, 2013 at 2:57 pm)paulpablo Wrote: Chinese had Honk Kong took off them by the British.

And they took it back.

In 1982, Margrite Thatcher, flush with victory at Falklands, went to china to say Hong Kong belongs to Britain just like Falkland. Appearently the Chinese response was so harsh the Iron Lady almost fainted, and stumbled down stairs on the way out of the meeting. Shortly thereafter the british agree to give Hong Kong back in 15 years. That happened in 1997.

I know, so they accomplished getting their own island back, the point is that the British managed to take it in the first place.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Yes, the point is the Chinese had it before, has it now, the British burned briefly, not all that brightly except in their own minds, and is now just a whisp of smoke.
(July 12, 2013 at 3:19 pm)Chuck Wrote: Yes, the point is the Chinese had it before, has it now, the British burned briefly, not all that brightly except in their own minds, and is now just a whisp of smoke.

Of course the Chinese had it first, it's right next to China, that's what makes it such a big accomplishment that the little Island of Britain was so powerful it managed to sail to china and take a territory away from them.

It's fair enough if you don't think the British empire was the most powerful of all time but to say it wasn't even that powerful is plain ridiculous by any standards.

Try typing as I have into google, "was the British empire powerful" Google will auto change your question to " Why was the British empire so powerful" Because that is a more sensible question, everyone knows the British empire was very powerful, that's why you're speaking the English language now.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

(July 12, 2013 at 3:19 pm)Chuck Wrote: Yes, the point is the Chinese had it before, has it now, the British burned briefly, not all that brightly except in their own minds, and is now just a whisp of smoke.

I was going to interject to plead with you people to stop bickering over a nonsense point and get back to the truly important issue at hand... the stupidity of Koolay... but this comment needs addressing.

Hong Kong was always on lease. It was rented, not owned by Britain. Ergo the handing back of the island wasn't a major concern (other than to the select few nationalists who are still shedding a tear about the loss of the British Empire, and the ability to go around teaching brown people how to play cricket before killing them).

But, Chuck, that "in their own mind" comment... STFU. The British Empire was the largest (and shortest-lived) empire that this planet has so far seen. In that respect (and as a layman historian) it is a very interesting subject. However, to burst that stereotype bubble, I have never in my life met anyone who wished that it still existed. They might exist. The world is full of all sorts of strange people. But for the love of fuck, don't paint the whole of Britain as some sort of empire-worshipers reminiscing about bygone halcyonic days. The empire was an astonishing accomplishment which managed some great things... along with some really really non-great things. I am very much not alone in having zero regrets about those days having ended... and remain thankful that it wasn't done in my name.
[Image: ascent_descent422.jpg]
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
This entire conversation about empires puts me in mind of a nonsense argument my girlfriends and I might have about which nation of boys might have bigger dicks based on how pretty their accents are.

(My money's on "Irish")
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
It isn't, and really wasn't that powerful at all. Not compared to Rome, or the other really great empires.

The minimum threshold of great empire is that it has cleared the world of peer competitors that could threaten its own core security.

Britain was never able to achieve that.

For a while Europe enjoyed a big technological advantage over the rest of the world and it was easy for any European power to stomp on the natives. No big deal for the British can be able to go stomping on India if little netherland can go stomping on Indonesia, or Belgium can go stomping on Congo, or if Spain can go stomping on all of South and Centeral America.

Britain was more successful than most in later years, although Spanish colonial empire arguable left an even more likely enduring cultural and demographic legacy.

But at the core of British empire, Britain was never enduringly secure from other European powers. Even when it was at the height of its power, it was arguable not capable of really facing down and defeating its primary peer competitors. Britain could not acheive security without a continental alliance, whether it was against France or Germany.

In the rank of really great world power centers, Britain was second rate.
(July 12, 2013 at 3:35 pm)Chuck Wrote: It isn't, and really wasn't that powerful at all. Not compared to Rome, or the other really great empires.

The minimum threshold of great empire is that it has cleared the world of peer competitors that could threaten its own core security.

For a while Europe enjoyed a big technological advantage over the rest of the world and it was easy for any European power to stomp on the natives. No big deal if the British can go stomping on India if little netherland can go stomping on Indonesia, or Belgium can go stomping on Congo, or if Spain can go stomping on all of South and Centeral America. But at the core of British empire, Britain was never enduringly secure from other European powers. Even when it was at the height of its power, it was arguable not capable of really facing down and defeating its primary peer competitors.

Ah, I see now. Well, at least that's been cleared up. You're a moron.

Red Celt's Blog
(July 12, 2013 at 3:32 pm)Red Celt Wrote: Hong Kong was always on lease. It was rented, not owned by Britain. Ergo the handing back of the island wasn't a major concern (other than to the select few nationalists who are still shedding a tear about the loss of the British Empire, and the ability to go around teaching brown people how to play cricket before killing them).

No, it wasn't. Hong Kong was ceded to the British. An adjacent part of mainland China was leased to the British on a 99 year lease. When the lease was nearing up, China told the British the lease won't be renews and BTW they wanted Hong Kong back as well, and by force is necessary. Thatcher capitualated.

(July 12, 2013 at 3:39 pm)Red Celt Wrote: Ah, I see now. Well, at least that's been cleared up. You're a moron.

And fuck you too.
(July 12, 2013 at 3:41 pm)Chuck Wrote: Fuck you too.

Said the person in English, claiming the lack of impact of the British Empire.

Red Celt's Blog
(July 12, 2013 at 3:35 pm)Chuck Wrote: It isn't, and really wasn't that powerful at all. Not compared to Rome, or the other really great empires.

For a while Europe enjoyed a big technological advantage over the rest of the world and it was easy for any European power to stomp on the natives. No big deal for the British can be able to go stomping on India if little netherland can go stomping on Indonesia, or Belgium can go stomping on Congo, or if Spain can go stomping on all of South and Centeral America. But at the core of British empire, Britain was never enduringly secure from other European powers. Even when it was at the height of its power, it was arguable not capable of really facing down and defeating its primary peer competitors.

Rome had plenty of competitors, Rome was sacked by rival civilizations and Rome didn't have as much territory as Britain, neither did the Egyptians so which empires are you talking about which had no rivals and always faced down peer competitors.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is republic better than monarchy? FlatAssembler 18 1310 September 13, 2022 at 12:03 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Christianity as religious institution in politics over islamic is sadly almost better Kimba02 3 402 April 11, 2019 at 6:55 am
Last Post: Succubus
  Ivanka insulting the mothers of all immigrants, or better: all immigrants. WinterHold 22 2674 May 31, 2018 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Laws Are No Better Than The Fuckheads Who Enforce Them Minimalist 2 695 April 3, 2018 at 12:39 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  We'd Be Better Off With The Taliban In Charge Minimalist 2 1525 April 20, 2017 at 4:55 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Top 10 Reasons Why Palin Would Make a Better President Than Trump YahwehIsTheWay 3 1076 April 18, 2017 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Who is the better first lady? Michelle Obama or Melania Trump ErGingerbreadMandude 62 9717 January 24, 2017 at 12:03 am
Last Post: Cecelia
  Better Hurry Up With That Wall, Drumpfucks. Minimalist 1 713 November 12, 2016 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: abaris
  What can you tell me to make it feel better? Whateverist 44 7063 November 10, 2016 at 12:44 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  I Guess This Makes It All Better Minimalist 8 1619 August 10, 2016 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0