Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 26, 2024, 4:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion and rituality
RE: Religion and rituality
Just because you think church should be every day doesn't take the ritual out of Sunday Mass/Sermon/Revival. Going once a week to do the same thing you did the time before is the exact definition of ritual. Why do you argue against something with which your religion apparently sees nothing wrong, GC?
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]
(July 22, 2013 at 3:10 pm)oukoida Wrote:
(July 22, 2013 at 2:51 pm)Rationalman Wrote: Still didn't get an answer GC. Do you really hear God talking back to you?

Apparently, he does...

I did this too, back when I was a believer; I actually used to strongly concentrate on a single thing and to listen to what I thought I could hear in my mind regarding the subject. And since I could *hear* this voice inside my head telling me what to do, I thought it was god, the omniscient, omnibenevolent kinda guy. The one with the big hand that raises you up when you are down etc.

I think this is what GC does, even though we come from completely different Christian backgrounds.

Yet something like a year and a half ago I realized it was just me speaking to myself and there was no need for a god behind my own conscience. Nor there is a need for a god to strengthen a community, as long as there is simple survival instinct and love for each other.

When I pray I do not expect God to answer immediately, most of prayer is answered through scripture, for me this is the best way to confirm God's answers, what better than through His word. I have on occasion heard God, in my head so to speak, answer very specific prayer. No long sentences just a word or two that is always supported through scripture. I've always wondered why people don't understand God's word, but the longer i'm here the more I see that people think the Bible is nothing but stories and rules. The Bible is so much more, it is truly the way we come to know God and confirm His actions in and for our lives.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Why pray at all if you are finding your answers in the Bible? You are practicing redundancy.
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]
(July 23, 2013 at 1:19 am)BadWriterSparty Wrote: Why pray at all if you are finding your answers in the Bible? You are practicing redundancy.

What kinda brain came up with that, if I did not ask questions God could not guide me to the answers in scripture, many answers come from scripture where one would not expect to find an answer. Why do you think I said it helps us to confirm God's relationship with us, finding answers where you would not look shows God's guidance.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Or he could just tell you with a voice in your head. What do all those people who don't own Bibles do? How do they get their guidance from God?

If you were to ask God what he thought about Divorce, then read the Bible and found the verses that speak out against it, why do you attribute that to God's guidance? I can find those same verses without any help through prayer, plus I've shaved off a few minutes by heading straight to the book instead of making a pit stop at God first.
(July 23, 2013 at 1:06 am)Godschild Wrote: When I pray I do not expect God to answer immediately, most of prayer is answered through scripture, for me this is the best way to confirm God's answers, what better than through His word. I have on occasion heard God, in my head so to speak, answer very specific prayer. No long sentences just a word or two that is always supported through scripture. I've always wondered why people don't understand God's word, but the longer i'm here the more I see that people think the Bible is nothing but stories and rules. The Bible is so much more, it is truly the way we come to know God and confirm His actions in and for our lives.
^this

You are basically finding sentences in the Bible that can ease your pain.
But then, what is the difference between doing this and, say, listening to a song that is particularly meaningful to you? I mean, anyone can listen to "Yesterday" and find it soothing for pain, but that does not mean that McCartney and Lennon are gods.

Oh yeah I was forgetting: you've been taught to believe what the bible says, thus you fear god and his punishment after your death. That must be why the bible has such a meaning to you, your own life after death depends from your adherence to it!

Wouldn't it be so much simpler just to think by yourself and decide what to do independently as a human deserves?
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
Oh, if only it were that simple for GC...
(July 22, 2013 at 5:58 am)Godschild Wrote:
(July 22, 2013 at 2:22 am)oukoida Wrote: Maybe there isn't "one" reason for rituals and prayers, and actually all of the possibilities we have brought about are not mutually exclusive and can be combined to form a sort of "genealogic" theory of rituality.
Of course to "experience the supernatural" we have to alter our perceptions.

But, I think, we are all looking at this from a rational and scientific point of view. I would really like to know how religious people see the issue.

I do not alter my perception to experience God, in prayer I talk to Him like I would with a friend or family member, because God is my friend and I belong to His family.

[Image: tumblr_m931hg3el21qeh91po1_400.gif]
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(July 23, 2013 at 12:38 am)BadWriterSparty Wrote: Just because you think church should be every day doesn't take the ritual out of Sunday Mass/Sermon/Revival. Going once a week to do the same thing you did the time before is the exact definition of ritual. Why do you argue against something with which your religion apparently sees nothing wrong, GC?

I said worship, people worship God with and without the church, gees can't you read what's printed. I've not gone to church and done the exact same thing from one week to the next ever.

(July 23, 2013 at 9:39 am)BadWriterSparty Wrote: Or he could just tell you with a voice in your head. What do all those people who don't own Bibles do? How do they get their guidance from God?

If you were to ask God what he thought about Divorce, then read the Bible and found the verses that speak out against it, why do you attribute that to God's guidance? I can find those same verses without any help through prayer, plus I've shaved off a few minutes by heading straight to the book instead of making a pit stop at God first.

I do not know anyone who does not have access to a Bible. I do not need to ask God about divorce, I learned about that when I was in middle school. The questions I might have would concern what God would have me to do in my life to serve others for one, spiritual questions about growing closer to Him, questions about the scriptures He's given us, just to name a few.
(July 23, 2013 at 11:32 am)Godschild Wrote: I do not know anyone who does not have access to a Bible.

Confused Fall

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 11238 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 5049 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 20189 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 51485 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5287 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused