Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 28, 2024, 12:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just Curious
RE: Just Curious
(August 8, 2013 at 3:46 am)Just-A-Curious-Girl Wrote: So guys I just want to know...

I'm glad you're into guys and curious. (But you get bonus points if you'll do a threesome with another girl.) One of things I like best about Christian girls is the opportunity to be naughty .. very, very naughty.

(August 8, 2013 at 6:16 am)Stimbo Wrote: If I had to pick just one trait I find the most annoying, .. : the religious insistence that I as an atheist will find their pet god one day - I just haven't heard enough about it yet.

^ That is for me the most annoying too. (Trying to foist their bible values into law and school policy goes beyond annoying.)

(August 8, 2013 at 10:21 am)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote: No, I'm not actually mad at anyone, your religion just happens to be one of the things I think many will be happier if it didn't exist.

Of course something that seems to make a lot of people happy is self determination.
(August 8, 2013 at 6:16 am)Stimbo Wrote: the religious insistence that I as an atheist will find their pet god one day - I just haven't heard enough about it yet.

Then there's the gem that all atheists actually know that 'God' really does exist, and that we claim not to believe so we can 'sin'.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
Oh yes; the old "atheists run from God like a thief runs from a policeman" schtick.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.

-Mahatma Gandhi

That being said. What bothers me about the Christians I encounter is their lack of education pertaining to the uses and definitions of the following words, concepts, fallacies and/or terms:

Burden of Proof
Circular Logic/Begging the question
Atheism
Fact
Agnostic
Creation Ex Nihilo
Theory
Possibility/Plausibility/Probability/Potentiality (Seem to be the 4 most confusing P-words for Theists in general)
Evolution
Time
Opinion
Rational
Relativity
Free Will
Morality
Subjective
Objective
Fact
Absolute
Logic

...To name a few, and they are by no means in any particular order.
Welcome, JACG! Christianity I have no particular problem with except I think it's incorrect about a lot of things, but I think that about most philosophies and religions...and most Christians do, too. I do have a problem with ChristianISTS (like Islamists) because they want the government to endorse, promote, recognize, and finance their religion. I think strict secularism benefits religion and non-religion alike and that Christianists getting their way would not only be terrible for atheists and minority religions, in the long run it would be terrible for Christianity, too. Christians who aren't Christianists...generally I get along with them like I do anyone else, based on their individual attitudes and personalities.

I DO dislike bad arguments, or, if you prefer, I like bad arguments only for the pleasure it gives me to destroy them. It doesn't matter whether the argument comes from a Christisn, atheist, Hindu, or whatever...but we get more Christians than Hindus here so sometimes some of them get the impression that it's their religion I have a problem with rather than the arguments they're using to support it.
The thing I really resent about Christians, particularly a lot of fundamentalists within the faith, is the fact that parents in the faith raise their kids Christian. It makes perfect sense for them to want that for their kids, but as someone who was raised that way, I wish parents would let their kids grow old enough to make an educated decision first. (Like Richard Dawkins, I wish parents wouldn't refer to their kids as their "Christian children" when the kids are too young to decide whether they're theists or atheists or not.) I recoil in horror to see how many fundamentalist Christian parents I know are purposefully raising their children to be isolated from the wider world: homeschooling (including teaching them that evolution is silly and creation science is legit), no interacting with anyone outside the church, and heavily monitored media exposure for the child even when the child gets to be in his/her teens. Fostering ignorance and limiting a child like that... well, I'm so glad my Christian parents weren't QUITE that fundamentalist. I'm so glad that the majority of Christians aren't like that, but in certain communities it's (unfortunately) a different story. Anyway, yep, that's my biggest complaint about Christianity.
(August 8, 2013 at 4:30 pm)apricot-and-a-coffee Wrote: The thing I really resent about Christians, particularly a lot of fundamentalists within the faith, is the fact that parents in the faith raise their kids Christian. It makes perfect sense for them to want that for their kids, but as someone who was raised that way, I wish parents would let their kids grow old enough to make an educated decision first. (Like Richard Dawkins, I wish parents wouldn't refer to their kids as their "Christian children" when the kids are too young to decide whether they're theists or atheists or not.) I recoil in horror to see how many fundamentalist Christian parents I know are purposefully raising their children to be isolated from the wider world: homeschooling (including teaching them that evolution is silly and creation science is legit), no interacting with anyone outside the church, and heavily monitored media exposure for the child even when the child gets to be in his/her teens. Fostering ignorance and limiting a child like that... well, I'm so glad my Christian parents weren't QUITE that fundamentalist. I'm so glad that the majority of Christians aren't like that, but in certain communities it's (unfortunately) a different story. Anyway, yep, that's my biggest complaint about Christianity.

Yep, when you have an outrageous story to sell it's best to get them young, when they lack sophisticated reasoning skills and are too young to understand just how manipulative and full of shit Mom and Dad can be.

Welcome, by the way!
For me, it's a close race - my biggest problem with (some) Christians is their annoying habit of assuming that everyone in earshot needs to hear about their imaginary friend. Either that or the desire of (some) Christians to inflict their beliefs on everyone else in matters of public policy.

(August 8, 2013 at 3:46 am)Just-A-Curious-Girl Wrote: So guys I just want to know...
What is the biggest thing that drives you mad about Christianity?
I am trying to get a feel for how people think and feel about Christianity so the more descriptive you can be-the better.

Religion doesn't matter to me enough to get mad about it. Personally I have no need of a religion or a god, science is my system of belief.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The curious case of Sarah Salviander. Jehanne 24 6884 December 27, 2016 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Curious to know Little Rik 249 28084 July 3, 2016 at 6:13 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Curious about sneezing lol mlmooney89 29 5094 June 23, 2016 at 9:59 pm
Last Post: dom.donald
  Curious question of curiosity. Spooky 44 6219 November 14, 2015 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: Spooky