Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 6:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Curious question of curiosity.
Curious question of curiosity.
Is it poor form to remind people of Christmas' pagan roots or is that the "war on Christmas" I keep hearing so much about?

Angel
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
RE: Curious question of curiosity.
In view of the actual pagan origins of Christmas, celebrating Christmas 12/25 IS actually warring against Christ.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Didn't a pope pick that date? If yes, then there is no way it can be wrong.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Educate away, as far as I'm concerned.

Informing people about reality is more important than for them to wallow in their ignorance.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
Go for it. 
They'll just ignore it, because they fuckin' LOVE them some goddamn Christmas. Casually mention a solstice celebration and watch the same motherfuckers look as if they're smelling dog shit. 

Fortunately, made-up God sanctions Paganism and idolatry for Christians.
Ahhh.....smell the convenience.
Some people think Pagan means Satanic or something.

Better tell them that, "The bible is jaded, and most of it Pagan, so get educated... with Hugo and Jake!"

This episode is god damned hilarious if you find twisted sick shit funny.

http://youtu.be/aVgRiAzGGLA
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Fuck 'em.  They need to hear it.
that sounds like a great idea spooky you should actually i dont know any christians irl but thatll get me in the christmas spirit to inform christians online on different christian websites about where the christmas traditions came from exactly thanks for the inspiration Smile
Imagine there's no heaven It's easy if you try No hell below us Above us only sky Imagine all the people Living for today   FSM Grin   Imagine there's no countries It isn't hard to do Nothing to kill or die for And no religion too Imagine all the people Living life in peace You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you will join us And the world will be as one  - John Lennon

The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also  - Mark Twain
(November 10, 2015 at 7:57 pm)Spooky Wrote: Is it poor form to remind people of Christmas' pagan roots or is that the "war on Christmas" I keep hearing so much about?

Angel

I did once jokingly tell my sister Happy Winter Solstice Day, and she didn't like that too much. Though seriously the only people I know celebrate the winter solstice as Christmas, so that may as well be what I say. My family doesn't consider "Happy Holidays" as inclusive. They see it as somehow excluding christians, even though it includes christians as much as any other group.

Of course when I was little, I thought of it as including New Years along with Christmas, because they both happen in the same week.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I remind them at every opportunity.
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The curious case of Sarah Salviander. Jehanne 24 6240 December 27, 2016 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Curious to know Little Rik 249 23816 July 3, 2016 at 6:13 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Curious about sneezing lol mlmooney89 29 4736 June 23, 2016 at 9:59 pm
Last Post: dom.donald
Lightbulb Just Curious Just-A-Curious-Girl 84 17428 August 10, 2013 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: Cyberman