Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 6, 2024, 1:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Hell Really a Bad Place?
RE: Is Hell Really a Bad Place?
One gets a full grasp of GC's reasoning capabilities when he claims an omnipotent god doesn't want to send people to hell but does so anyway.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(August 12, 2013 at 9:07 am)Maelstrom Wrote:
(August 12, 2013 at 1:38 am)Godschild Wrote: The Holy Spirit is my sight when it comes to scripture and other spiritual matters.

Smile GC

What if the Holy Spirit is really a demon of satan, fooling you?

Oooh ohh..I know I know! Pick me, pick ME!!!

[Image: boy-300x300.jpg]
(August 12, 2013 at 10:23 am)Faith No More Wrote: One gets a full grasp of GC's reasoning capabilities when he claims an omnipotent god doesn't want to send people to hell but does so anyway.

Only the foolishness of ignorance could produce a statement like that. A compassionate judge given a verdict of guilty from a jury may not want to sentence a person to life in prison, but the law of justice requires him to do so. Does this concept also go over your head.

Smile GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
That Sam Harris video (which I have watched and re-watched before - I love it - by the way) has put my viewpoint on Free Will, that I had already had for years and years beforehand, since I was pretty young actually, to a T. No one has explained my position better.
Yeah, it's pretty awesome. I got the book on my kindle, he pretty much covers most of the book in that lecture. Good book. Sam Harris is awesome. Kinda looks like Ben Stiller too. Lol
(August 12, 2013 at 2:44 pm)Godschild Wrote: Only the foolishness of ignorance could produce a statement like that. A compassionate judge given a verdict of guilty from a jury may not want to sentence a person to life in prison, but the law of justice requires him to do so. Does this concept also go over your head.
1: The judge, in practice, is bound by the laws of the state, laws that are above his position.

2: The judge did not create the judicial system or the prison in which the guilty will be held.

God created both the system by which to judge people, and the place of eternal torture in which to keep them.

When I was a JW, we believed the Christian concept of hell was against a loving god, and that the punish for sin was what he said at the beginning to Adam and Eve.... death, eternal non-existence, nothing more nothing less.
Quote:Only the foolishness of ignorance could produce a statement like that. A compassionate judge given a verdict of guilty from a jury may not want to sentence a person to life in prison, but the law of justice requires him to do so. Does this concept also go over your head.

So your "omnipotent" god is bound by legal precedent?

The god you worship sounds like a useless twit saying "dear me, dear me" over and over.

Zeus and Odin were just as unreal and not such fucking pussies.
(August 12, 2013 at 9:07 am)Maelstrom Wrote:
(August 12, 2013 at 1:38 am)Godschild Wrote: The Holy Spirit is my sight when it comes to scripture and other spiritual matters.

Smile GC

What if the Holy Spirit is really a demon of satan, fooling you?

You believe the enemy of God and myself would actually reveal the truths of scripture, wouldn't that be damaging to his cause, you know what's said," a house divided against itself can't stand."
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(August 12, 2013 at 2:44 pm)Godschild Wrote: Only the foolishness of ignorance could produce a statement like that. A compassionate judge given a verdict of guilty from a jury may not want to sentence a person to life in prison, but the law of justice requires him to do so. Does this concept also go over your head.

Others have already covered this, but I will reiterate and will try to keep it simple. A judge is bound by the laws of the land. An omnipotent god is bound by nothing. Surely even someone as feeble-minded as yourself can grasp this.

By the way, I'm dying to know, what does Jesus think of your arrogance?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
The only thing about Hell which seems unpalatable to me is that all the Christians will be there with us, according to the requirements of getting into heaven. An eternity with GC sounds like hell to me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HELL or not HELL? Little Rik 91 13915 November 10, 2018 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Bad News For Fundie Assholes Minimalist 11 2289 August 9, 2018 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Bad Religion: How Trump is warping Christianity for his own gain. Silver 4 1148 February 6, 2017 at 4:47 am
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Some kind words from the usual place FebruaryOfReason 6 1643 March 3, 2016 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: FebruaryOfReason
Video First Church of Cannabis (Good or Bad?) Mental Outlaw 10 2158 June 6, 2015 at 8:09 am
Last Post: Nope
  Salon link about bad religious ideas. Brian37 1 1053 January 26, 2015 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Why is religion bad? CapnAwesome 22 4044 August 18, 2014 at 3:23 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Heaven - An awful place for Christians? FreeTony 16 4033 July 21, 2014 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Is killing a Pastor always a bad thing? Mystical 85 24463 November 9, 2013 at 8:51 am
Last Post: T.J.
  If God is all mighty,why doesn't he change bad people/seiners into good ones? Phish 54 21163 March 19, 2013 at 8:35 am
Last Post: EGross