Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 10:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theists, some questions
RE: Theists, some questions
(October 22, 2013 at 7:45 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote: You can have reasoned argument for it.

I am quite familiar with all the so called evidence for the resurrection of Jesus.

None of it holds up to actual scrutiny.

Quote:But you can't know whether it happened or not so you will have to take it on trust AKA faith. I wouldn't base all your belief on God on just this event alone however but for Christianity it's central, if he wasn't raised then it ain't true. But the Muslims or whoever could still be right as they don't believe this happened either, a different faith there.

Faith is not the path to truth. And you just pointed out the flaw with using faith, every religion has faith in mutually exclusive claims. And there is no way to discern the difference between the ones you believe are true and the ones Muslims, Zoroasrians, Hindus, etc believe are true.

Quote:Same way you would as you the difference between right and wrong thanks to Gods Moral Law and you're sane. If you weren't sane and heard voices then you may well kill and claim God told you.

There is zero reason to invoke a god in order to explain morality. Natural and cultural explanations work fine.

Quote:We're subject to Gods Moral Law so what we have is a conscious, we feel guilt about harming others, feel compassion for others and so on. That's a good guide as to Gods morality there the one written in your heart.

You still haven't answered whether you'd kill someone if God ordered you to.

I'll put it to you again.

If you received a command that you knew came from God to kill someone, that as far as you could tell, is a good person, would you do it?

If your faith is as strong as you claim, you should have no more problems carrying this command than you would if you received a command to help the needy.

Why are you avoiding the question? It seems simple enough.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
What am I, chopped liver?
[Image: giphy.gif]
He said he would need to know who he would and kill and why. I would like to know if this means he would first question his god and then do it, or possibly questions, disagree, and not do it.
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
(October 22, 2013 at 6:50 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote: There wouldn't be any possible natural physical explanation for the RESURRECTION OF OUR LORD ATTENDED WITH GLORY!
[Image: zombie-jesus.jpg]
Quote:Better to assume that whatever is telling you to kill is not God.
Really? Shame about the Caananites then Big Grin
(October 22, 2013 at 6:50 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote: There wouldn't be any possible natural physical explanation for the RESURRECTION OF OUR LORD ATTENDED WITH GLORY!
Those are really big letters. So it must be true.
(October 22, 2013 at 7:45 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote: You can have reasoned argument for it.

[Image: book_5036.jpg&w=300&h=451]

Please, please stop citing William Lane Craig in your argumentation. It doesn't give you any additional credibility, because the guy is working from the same presupposition you are, in addition to playing fast and loose with logic to get there.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(October 22, 2013 at 8:37 pm)TheBeardedDude Wrote: What am I, chopped liver?

Well - possibly a bit Jewish with an answer like that - oi vey.

As regards taking the resurrection on faith this is an odd thing to do.

The only people that were around at the time that could have witnessed it were the Jews - and they didn't buy it - so why would you?

Obviously Jesus' followers say it happened - but they have a faith to sell so you would expect that.

Its not even as if resurrection was a new idea. Many religions incorporate it in one form or another.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
But seriously Sword, would you care to address my follow-up to your dodge of the questions at hand?

(October 22, 2013 at 7:10 pm)TheBeardedDude Wrote: God just told you to trust him and kill them. You're certain it's God telling you.

Also, we resurrect people all the time with technology. How can you claim someone who was thought to be dead and not actually being dead, can only be a miracle?
[Image: giphy.gif]
(October 22, 2013 at 7:45 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote: But you can't know whether it happened or not so you will have to take it on trust AKA faith.
Unless it's a disembodied voice telling you to kill someone?

Mind you, I think yours is a good approach to take when the example from the OP is offered. There have been examples of people who claimed that god told them to kill, and then they did so (or in the case of David Berkowitz, dog told him to kill and he did so). I think that most people, certainly most rational people, would respond as you are responding, and deciding that making sure is better than shrugging your shoulders and deciding that god commanded it and you must do it.

Otherwise you'd be no better than Abraham.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Since no evidence is being offered for the resurrection claim, I'm invoking Hitchen's Razor.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I have some questions for the posters here. Frank Apisa 348 22067 June 28, 2021 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Are some theists afraid of atheists? Der/die AtheistIn 146 49248 June 21, 2018 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Some questions about heaven and hell (for any believer) Dystopia 26 6217 June 17, 2015 at 4:15 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Some theists are just to far gone dyresand 36 7682 June 7, 2015 at 11:35 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Some questions that need to be answered therationalist 19 4853 April 8, 2014 at 9:21 am
Last Post: RobbyPants
  some questions gufis253 31 10300 November 30, 2012 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: genkaus
  Why do some theists bring up Adolf Hitler when discussing atheism? happyukatheist 18 5580 September 26, 2010 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye