Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 21, 2024, 1:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
And Hells come back to haunt me
RE: And Hells come back to haunt me
(November 8, 2013 at 2:40 pm)Godschild Wrote:
(November 8, 2013 at 6:50 am)ToriJ Wrote: You're condemning slavery while God condones it.

God allowed man to form such a society, He does not condone slavery.

In 1844, the national Baptist General Convention for Foreign Missions refused to license slaveowning missionaries. One year later, that refusal led to the split between the northern and southern Baptists. The southern Baptists were absolutely convinced that the Bible taught that God had divinely sanctioned slavery. As early as 1823, Richard Furman, a leader of the South Carolina Baptist Convention, a slaveholder, and for whom Furman University is named, stated in a famous address to the Governor of South Carolina, "The right of holding slaves is clearly established by the Holy Scriptures, both by precept and example." [See Exposition of The Views of the Baptists, Relative To The Coloured Population In The United States]. The next year, in 1845, those firmly convicted defenders of slavery formed their own separate Baptist denomination, the Southern Baptist Convention.

http://etb-history-theology.blogspot.com...y-101.html

Now what does it say beside your Avatar GC?
Find the cure for Fundementia!
(November 8, 2013 at 2:40 pm)Godschild Wrote: God allowed man to form such a society, He does not condone slavery.

So why does the old testament have rules for slavery in it? Why does the new testament involve a ruling for slaves to obey their masters, and why does Jesus himself employ a parable approving of the beating of slaves?

Why is your god so happy for the book that represents his word on earth to allow and outline things that he doesn't approve of? And why doesn't he outright outlaw slavery anyway? I mean, we're talking about the same god that murdered the world bar eight people because everyone else was doing things he didn't approve of.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(October 2, 2013 at 10:31 pm)Godschild Wrote: Do you really believe that solidifying your atheism it will keep you out of hell, I mean really?

Smile GC

Do you believe your god's omnipotent nonexistence can be overwhelmed by your blind and pitiful faith to the contrary?

Smile
(November 8, 2013 at 10:44 pm)Brakeman Wrote:
(November 8, 2013 at 2:40 pm)Godschild Wrote: God allowed man to form such a society, He does not condone slavery.

In 1844, the national Baptist General Convention for Foreign Missions refused to license slaveowning missionaries. One year later, that refusal led to the split between the northern and southern Baptists. The southern Baptists were absolutely convinced that the Bible taught that God had divinely sanctioned slavery. As early as 1823, Richard Furman, a leader of the South Carolina Baptist Convention, a slaveholder, and for whom Furman University is named, stated in a famous address to the Governor of South Carolina, "The right of holding slaves is clearly established by the Holy Scriptures, both by precept and example." [See Exposition of The Views of the Baptists, Relative To The Coloured Population In The United States]. The next year, in 1845, those firmly convicted defenders of slavery formed their own separate Baptist denomination, the Southern Baptist Convention.

http://etb-history-theology.blogspot.com...y-101.html

Now what does it say beside your Avatar GC?

I see nothing there where God condoned slavery, I do see where man wants to take advantage of another people. Southern Baptist or not they were wrong, period. I'm not going to argue slavery with you because it can not be traced back to a single nation. Africans were actually enslaving their own people long before America was discovered, they actually took and sold their own people into slavery to peoples of all different nationalities.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(November 9, 2013 at 3:41 am)Godschild Wrote: I see nothing there where God condoned slavery, I do see where man wants to take advantage of another people.

" However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)"

" Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. (Ephesians 6:5 NLT)"

" The servant will be severely punished, for though he knew his duty, he refused to do it. "But people who are not aware that they are doing wrong will be punished only lightly. Much is required from those to whom much is given, and much more is required from those to whom much more is given." (Luke 12:47-48 NLT)"
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(November 8, 2013 at 3:53 pm)ToriJ Wrote:
(November 8, 2013 at 2:40 pm)Godschild Wrote:

Funny, it was once lawful for parents to kill their children for disobedience going back to the fifth commandment about honoring your father and mother. What's changed?

No it never was lawful to kill young children.

(November 7, 2013 at 7:49 pm)Godschild Wrote:

Quote:A moot point since it says in the bible God and Jesus are the same person.

Yahweh (God) is the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, worshiped in the temple where God was on earth, the church is the body of Christ which worships the Father, Son and Holy Spirit and where the Holy Spirit resides.

(November 7, 2013 at 7:49 pm)Godschild Wrote:

Quote:No you didn't. I looked back through this thread and saw no sources and I'm not questioning the human trafficking, I'm questioning the claim that it's atheists as it'd be hard to know the personal beliefs of the people involved and/or if their motives have anything to do with atheism.

Christians and any other religious people are not going to be involved in such horrible activity, this kind of slave trafficking is organized crime and the religious are not going to organize such horror. There are more slaves today than anytime in history. With the religious eliminated that leaves the non religious, which are the atheist.

(November 7, 2013 at 7:49 pm)Godschild Wrote: God allowed man to form such a society, He does not condone slavery.

Quote:God allowed a society that condones slavery? That's some serious neglect there.

God's not neglecting, if everyone followed the Ten Commandments there would have never been a need for slavery.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(November 8, 2013 at 7:25 am)Optimistic Mysanthrope Wrote:
(November 7, 2013 at 11:32 pm)Godschild Wrote: The statement was a child.
My bad. I took it to mean progeny rather than a literal child

GC Wrote:What?
If you wouldn't throw your child on fire, why would you burn them for all eternity?

(November 7, 2013 at 7:49 pm)Godschild Wrote: Ah, here we go with semantics again, the original meaning of church is a body of Christian believers. They had no buildings at first, you need to study scripture.

Close, but no cigar. The word you're thinking of is "ecclesia" stemming from the greek word "ekklesia", which refers to an assembly or congregation. Church is derived from "kuriakos" and a rough translation of which is "belonging to the lord". The word was applied to christian temples. It's an easy mistake to make though, most modern bibles incorrectly translate "ekklesia" as "church", because the words have become conflated over time.

Tori's answer was perfectly acceptable. You're the one that's playing semantics. And you lost.

Not to be too picky, but over here, in Greece, Ekklesia means Church. You learn the word pretty quickly the moment you ask anyone for directions. They use churches over here like they use pubs in England (go straight down the road - turn left at St. Nikolas head down to St. Tryfonas and its 2 roads past that on the left hand side kind of thing.)
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
(November 9, 2013 at 4:09 am)Godschild Wrote: No it never was lawful to kill young children.

Quote:All who curse their father or mother must be put to death. They are guilty of a capital offense.
Leviticus 20:9

Quote:Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death.
Exodus 21:15

(November 9, 2013 at 4:09 am)Godschild Wrote: Yahweh (God) is the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, worshiped in the temple where God was on earth, the church is the body of Christ which worships the Father, Son and Holy Spirit and where the Holy Spirit resides.

(November 6, 2013 at 3:28 pm)Godschild Wrote: I knew you did not learn much when you were in church or you would know the Father and Son are of one mind.

(November 9, 2013 at 4:09 am)Godschild Wrote: Christians and any other religious people are not going to be involved in such horrible activity, this kind of slave trafficking is organized crime and the religious are not going to organize such horror. There are more slaves today than anytime in history. With the religious eliminated that leaves the non religious, which are the atheist.

Religious people already have.

Quote:When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment.
Exodus 21:7-11

(November 9, 2013 at 4:09 am)Godschild Wrote: God's not neglecting, if everyone followed the Ten Commandments there would have never been a need for slavery.

What does put no other gods before me, do not praise false idols, do not use the Lord's name in vain, keep the Sabbath holy, honor your parents, do not kill, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not bare false witness and do not covet have to do with slavery specifically?
Tori, GC's probably going to say next that old testament stuff doesn't count anymore. I'd remind him that he made recourse to the ten commandments earlier, which are also in the old testament.

(November 9, 2013 at 4:37 am)Esquilax Wrote: Tori, GC's probably going to say next that old testament stuff doesn't count anymore. I'd remind him that he made recourse to the ten commandments earlier, which are also in the old testament.

I'd also ask why the old testament hasn't been omitted.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from? FlatAssembler 17 1713 August 3, 2023 at 10:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink vorlon13 11 2953 August 1, 2017 at 12:25 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Chris Brown should be come a Christian Tarasoft11 15 2838 September 7, 2016 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Christian Hell vs. Other Hells? TrueChristian 17 5187 January 13, 2016 at 12:59 am
Last Post: green.joel2
  Where did the universe come from? Atheistic origin science has no answer. SavedByGraceThruFaith 2761 819299 September 6, 2015 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  How Long Will Christians Wait for the End Time to Come? Rhondazvous 237 40779 September 3, 2015 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  'it will come back to you' Longhorn 23 5376 June 20, 2015 at 11:52 am
Last Post: AFTT47
  Christians Come to the Waters... daver49 2 1310 March 20, 2015 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Why Christians come to atheist forums watchamadoodle 112 27051 March 17, 2015 at 3:32 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  That Day will come as a trap on all the world professor 1458 207092 October 13, 2014 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie