Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 27, 2024, 7:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Debate with a Christian
RE: Debate with a Christian
This is so effing great.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(March 6, 2014 at 7:45 pm)discipulus Wrote:

How about this for a debate topic:

"Has God raised Jesus from the dead?"

That has more assumptions than grains of sand on a beach.

The first is that such a being as "God" exists. Since he has never shown himself or done anything godly the evidence is that he doesn't exist.

The second is that the Jesus character as depicted in the New Testament existed. There's no independent unbiased evidence that such a person existed and did the things he supposedly did. The story is on a par with fictional characters such as Tarzan.

The third is that since there's no evidence that the "Jesus" character existed there's no reason to believe that a non-existent "God" character raised a fictional "Jesus" character from the dead. Such things don't happen in real life. But they do happen all the time in fiction with imaginary characters.

Even Paul, the guy who created the Jesus character, said that if people aren't raised from the dead that his story was pure BS. He presented no real evidence to support his fairy tale. Instead he simply claimed that a crowd of imaginary people had witnessed it.
Elbow pasta doesnt look like elbows... im just saying....
(March 6, 2014 at 8:15 pm)discipulus Wrote:
(March 6, 2014 at 8:14 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: You've already got yourself in a bit of a bind, mate. There are no '...ancient biographies of Jesus's [sic] life...'. Not a single one.

Boru

There are four actually.

(whispers) pssst....remember that word 'credible?' lol
The Gospels are not credible, if we're talking about basically four dudes, whom no one has ever met, talking about their life with Jesus, whom no one has ever met. (and there's no evidence showing that they ever existed) Unlike say dinosaurs. Or Neanderthals. No one has met either, but...there's credible evidence to support their existence. There is none when it comes to the Bible. Which is why faith is believing in something unseen. I'm willing to listen, but only to credible accounts.

CREDIBLE.

Tell us why you believe the Gospels to be credible, might be worth debating.
I go crazy when someone says that an empty tomb is evidence that jesus was resurrected. .. my tooth missing from under my pillow is not evidene that there is a tooth fairy...
(March 6, 2014 at 8:23 pm)Deidre32 Wrote:
(March 6, 2014 at 8:15 pm)discipulus Wrote: There are four actually.

(whispers) pssst....remember that word 'credible?' lol
The Gospels are not credible, if we're talking about basically four dudes, whom no one has ever met, talking about their life with Jesus, whom no one has ever met. (and there's no evidence showing that they ever existed) Unlike say dinosaurs. Or Neanderthals. No one has met either, but...there's credible evidence to support their existence. There is none when it comes to the Bible. Which is why faith is believing in something unseen. I'm willing to listen, but only to credible accounts.

CREDIBLE.

Tell us why you believe the Gospels to be credible, might be worth debating.

The Gospels and the Islamic hadiths are identical in one major aspect. They were all written by people far removed in time from the events that their protagonists supposedly did. The Gospels were written decades later and the hadiths were written over a hundred and more years after Mohammed supposedly fluttered across the Arabian desert. Yet they both contain detailed conversations that no one would know about even if such characters had actually lived.
(March 6, 2014 at 7:45 pm)discipulus Wrote:
(March 6, 2014 at 7:18 pm)Deidre32 Wrote: Okay. My pick >> You need to prove why you believe the Bible is a credible source to establishing the existence of God. (The One and Only God, using your terminology)

How about this for a debate topic:

"Has God raised Jesus from the dead?"

Well that sure inserts some highly suspect stuff right in the question. What God? Jesus the historical person, or, Jesus about whom so many hysterical claims are made?
(March 6, 2014 at 8:19 pm)Deidre32 Wrote: The Bible is one entire book.

No ma'am. It is not. It is a compilation of historical narratives, poems, didactic teachings, prose, apocalyptic literature, epistles, ancient biographies, wisdom literature, short correspondences, antiquarian history etc. etc.

There are sixty six individual "books" that comprise the collection. "Books" here is the term referred to the individual constituents irrespective of their particular genre.

(March 6, 2014 at 8:19 pm)Deidre32 Wrote: Why are we 'starting' with the Gospels?

The biographies of Jesus's life are where we start to ascertain the facts about Jesus. Why would we start at Genesis or anywhere else?

(March 6, 2014 at 8:19 pm)Deidre32 Wrote: The entire OT, if you believe it, is a foreshadowing of the NT.

Who told you that?Thinking

(March 6, 2014 at 8:19 pm)Deidre32 Wrote: Yet, many Christians cherry pick this or that, as to what they believe out of the OT,

So what if they do? What has that got to do with me defending the assertion that God raised Jesus from the dead?

(March 6, 2014 at 8:19 pm)Deidre32 Wrote: I guess because God was a bad guy in that section of the book. But, when we get to the 'Gospels,' he becomes a man, and is now a kind compassionate benefactor of mankind.

This is immaterial to the debate topic Deidre.

(March 6, 2014 at 8:19 pm)Deidre32 Wrote: Is God both a sadist, and also Jesus, a kind Savior to all? If so, how do you reconcile the two sections of the Bible, OT and NT?

Do you believe the Bible in its entirety, and if so...what is your proof that the Bible is a credible source of God's existence?

It all comes back to MY topic. Big Grin

In other words, why do you wish to start with the Gospels?

**I'm wondering if an actual debate will ever ensue. Thinking

I am glad I asked you what I did before agreeing to a debate. Your real issue is with what you perceive to be inconsistencies with God's character when comparing the OT to the NT.

I believe the Bible in its entirety which means that I believe all sixty six books were inspired by God and give us a progressive revelation of the will and plan of God for mankind.

I am arguing that Jesus was a man who claimed to be God in the flesh. We have four biographies which we go to for insight into this claim. We have accounts of Him being raised from the dead. This is the crucial matter upon which Christianity rests.

It does not make much since to go to Ecclesiastes or Genesis or 1 Kings if we are trying to ascertain the facts regarding Jesus of Nazareth.
(March 6, 2014 at 8:15 pm)discipulus Wrote:
(March 6, 2014 at 8:14 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: You've already got yourself in a bit of a bind, mate. There are no '...ancient biographies of Jesus's [sic] life...'. Not a single one.

Boru

There are four actually.

Sorry, no. The Gospels are not biographies in any meaningful sense of the word. Since they are based on oral tradition, they are more akin to folk tales or hagiographies. They have no supportive independent sources, they aren't a terribly informative source about life in 1st century Judea, and were written long after the events they purport to depict.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Scratch that... tooth fairy is real...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Never-Ending and Quite Exasperating Debate We All Know of Leonardo17 7 362 April 10, 2024 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: brewer
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 90827 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Invitation for Atheists to Debate a Christian via Skype LetsDebateThings 121 13499 June 19, 2019 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  New WLC debate Jehanne 18 3437 March 28, 2017 at 3:32 am
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Jesus did not rise from the dead -- My debate opening statement. Jehanne 155 25534 January 21, 2017 at 1:28 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  An invitation to debate. Jehanne 63 8821 December 22, 2016 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  The Big Debate -- Price versus Ehrman Jehanne 43 9935 November 26, 2016 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
Information Catholics VS Protestants Debate Thread Edward John 164 20461 November 15, 2016 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: Drich
  The WLC/Shelly debate -- gone missing! Jehanne 18 3068 October 8, 2016 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Did Bishops (In London) Ever Debate Whether Or Not Women Were Human? ReptilianPeon 8 3413 March 29, 2015 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Brometheus