Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 25, 2024, 6:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bill Mahar calls Christians out on their delusions
RE: Bill Mahar calls Christians out on their delusions
(March 20, 2014 at 12:43 am)Lek Wrote:
(March 20, 2014 at 12:30 am)Asimm Wrote: maybe next time they should just makeup a story and not question it. Thinking

I'm just not ready yet to call 1,500 years of written testimony a made-up story because scientists tell me some of the stuff couldn't happen or because somebody thinks God was a bad guy.

Of course you aren't. You have a deeply-ingrained need for it to be real because you've devoted so much of your life to it, and nothing external is going to change that. The first step is admitting to yourself that you've wasted your time. If you can't ever admit that, you'll be forever in the dark.
(March 20, 2014 at 12:43 am)Lek Wrote:
(March 20, 2014 at 12:30 am)Asimm Wrote: maybe next time they should just makeup a story and not question it. Thinking

I'm just not ready yet to call 1,500 years of written testimony a made-up story because scientists tell me some of the stuff couldn't happen or because somebody thinks God was a bad guy.

When do you think you will be?

How much evidence will you require?

Oh - and 9 planets have become 8 because one has been "demoted" to a dwarf planet as we have since discovered Kuiper Belt objects larger than Pluto.

Pluto itself has not changed.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
Quote:scientists told me there were nine planets in the solar system and now they tell me there's only eight.

Pluto still exists. All they did was re-classify it, dingbat.
Bill Mahar calls Christians out on their delusions
(March 19, 2014 at 10:57 pm)Lek Wrote:
(March 19, 2014 at 10:51 pm)Bad Writer Wrote: I'm glad you finally admit that it's a story. If it's so up for interpretation, then why take any version literally at all?

It is a story. There's true stories and there's untrue stories. I don't refuse to believe in something because I believe the main character is a monster. I think Putin is butthead, but I still believe he exists. By the way, scientists told me there were nine planets in the solar system and now they tell me there's only eight. Why can't they be consistent? I can't accept science anymore because they're always changing their minds. Scientists have been wrong more times that I can count. Next thing you know they'll tell me that bloodletting treatments can be harmful.

So basically, you want a parental figure who tells you everything about the world, and if they're wrong you'll throw a hissy fit and turn your back on them.

Which makes no sense, since the bible has repeatedly been shown to be mistaken in many areas, only to be covered up by apologetics.

It seems that you don't understand the basics of what science is about, and simply want to be told what to think, so you don't have to do it yourself.
(March 20, 2014 at 12:43 am)Lek Wrote: I'm just not ready yet to call 1,500 years of written testimony a made-up story because scientists tell me some of the stuff couldn't happen or because somebody thinks God was a bad guy.

Ancient nonsense is still nonsense. You're making an argument from tradition, a logical fallacy. The duration or quantity of writings on a topic have zero relevance on its truth.

The Muslims have 1,500 years or so of written testimony.

The ancient Egyptians had at least as much written "testimony" as any religion around.

The Mormons have a paltry 180 years, but in another 1320 years, they too will also have 1,500 years of testimony. Does that make Mormon bullshit any more true? Nope, it does not.

Christianity has nothing more concrete to offer than belief in Ra, Anubis, Allah or Moroni.
(March 19, 2014 at 9:58 pm)Lek Wrote: I'll stir the pot a bit here by saying that if God wanted Noah to build an ark and put all the animals on it, he could. If God is who we say he is he can do anything he wants. If God could create the universe this task would be a breeze.

I'll see your "stirring the pot" and raise you an "I'll tip the bitch over";

If your god had the power to create a universe then I should say that he would be capable of wiping out the offensive parties (which he created knowing they would be that way) without harming literally everything else save for a single family and two of every species.

Funny that it seems that the bible was a fiction written by a bunch of uninspired, unimaginative pricks instead of a recounting of actual events brought about by an omniscient all-powerful god isn't it?
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
(March 20, 2014 at 3:11 am)max-greece Wrote:
(March 20, 2014 at 12:43 am)Lek Wrote: I'm just not ready yet to call 1,500 years of written testimony a made-up story because scientists tell me some of the stuff couldn't happen or because somebody thinks God was a bad guy.

When do you think you will be?

How much evidence will you require?

Oh - and 9 planets have become 8 because one has been "demoted" to a dwarf planet as we have since discovered Kuiper Belt objects larger than Pluto.

Pluto itself has not changed.

I'd probably be ready to give it up if I could no longer believe that Jesus is who he said he is. If he was a fraud, that would nullify the whole bible for me because he's the fufillment of the whole old testament. He is what the old testament is testifying to. Events like the ark are humanly impossible and couldn't have happened without the intervention of a supernatural power. I don't think most christians believe because they read the bible from start to finish and decided to believe in it. They believe because they see a need for God and experience him working in their lives. Once you know Jesus, then the old testament story all falls into place.
Which only shows that you know jack about the OT story.

It's a crock.
I don't get why it's so hard to recognize the OT as documenting Israelite warlord god mythology.

That hypothesis fits the facts perfectly.

Supernatural doings from a cosmic Daddy, who it turns out had a wife, and is very inept at creating things; so inept he wants to take a Mulligan in the Flood -- now that explanation doesn't fit the facts at all.
(March 19, 2014 at 10:57 pm)Lek Wrote:
(March 19, 2014 at 10:51 pm)Bad Writer Wrote: I'm glad you finally admit that it's a story. If it's so up for interpretation, then why take any version literally at all?

It is a story. There's true stories and there's untrue stories. I don't refuse to believe in something because I believe the main character is a monster. I think Putin is butthead, but I still believe he exists. By the way, scientists told me there were nine planets in the solar system and now they tell me there's only eight. Why can't they be consistent? I can't accept science anymore because they're always changing their minds. Scientists have been wrong more times that I can count. Next thing you know they'll tell me that bloodletting treatments can be harmful.

There are... Subject/verb agreement. Did you not pay attention in English class as well as science class?

Of course our body of knowledge changes. We continue to investigate and learn more, leading to correcting, extending, correcting theories and evidence.
Science is consistent - it is just not absolute or final. You are objecting to a strawman constructed from your own ignorance.

It is religion that holds to absolute knowledge; especially absolute knowledge that is not possible to actually have and for which there is no evidence.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Delusions Are Real Asmodeus 9 182 October 22, 2024 at 7:25 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Dear God, please soften their hearts... zwanzig 12 1397 August 6, 2023 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  3 reasons for Christians to start questionng their faith smax 149 62714 December 4, 2021 at 10:26 am
Last Post: Ketzer
  South Dakota Schools required to have "In God We Trust" on their walls Cecelia 16 2137 July 29, 2019 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 10015 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Christian morality delusions tackattack 87 11899 November 27, 2018 at 8:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  7 Pious Xtian Shits Who Stepped On Their Own Dicks Minimalist 0 937 October 12, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Pennsylvania Church asks couples to bring in their AR-15's so they can bless the guns Cecelia 63 12209 March 17, 2018 at 7:30 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The Trinity Doctrine: Help me out, Christians GrandizerII 169 22237 February 9, 2018 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Do Christian Parents Abuse their Children? Bow Before Zeus 177 33437 November 29, 2017 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: Shell B