Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian morality delusions
Christian morality delusions
(November 20, 2018 at 6:05 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote:
(November 20, 2018 at 4:32 pm)tackattack Wrote: Ideals are valuable when held I agree. Relying on subjective morality and societal ideals is less valuable than objective ideals and an objective moral authority. 

There's an interesting misconception that the faithful have, with regards to which side of that line they find themselves on, on account of their faith.  The religious often call their other-than objective moral system objective..and the irreligious mistakenly describe their objective moral system as other-than objective.

So I've been told that I might have a misconception and I didn't want to put this in philosophy because it's on account of my faith as a Christian.

Here are my thoughts on morality
There is subjective morality- what I feel internally to be right and wrong as according to my experience and beliefs
There is societal morality- what is commonly accepted to be right or wrong for a people within a particular society
There is universal morality (possibly)- things that rational people of any time and any place find right or wrong
There is objective morality- A being I call God exists outside the universe that influences us through the Holy Spirit to inform of objective morality.

Do I fall under the misconceptions you were referencing?
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
RE: Christian morality delusions
(November 20, 2018 at 6:50 pm)tackattack Wrote: There is subjective morality- what I feel internally to be right and wrong as according to my experience and beliefs
It would only be subjective if your experiences and beliefs had no objective referent.  If they were mind dependent.  

Quote:There is societal morality- what is commonly accepted to be right or wrong for a people within a particular society
Which can be an objective morality.

Quote:There is universal morality (possibly)- things that rational people of any time and any place find right or wrong
Unlikely, particularly if morality is objective.  Rational people can disagree.  

Quote:There is objective morality- A being I call God exists outside the universe that influences us through the Holy Spirit to inform of objective morality.
Nothing to do with objective morality whatsoever.  

Quote:Do I fall under the misconceptions you were referencing?
To a T.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 20, 2018 at 6:50 pm)tackattack Wrote:
(November 20, 2018 at 6:05 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: There's an interesting misconception that the faithful have, with regards to which side of that line they find themselves on, on account of their faith.  The religious often call their other-than objective moral system objective..and the irreligious mistakenly describe their objective moral system as other-than objective.

So I've been told that I might have a misconception and I didn't want to put this in philosophy because it's on account of my faith as a Christian.

There is subjective morality- what I feel internally to be right and wrong as according to my experience and beliefs
There is societal morality- what is commonly accepted to be right or wrong for a people within a particular society
There is universal morality (possibly)- things that rational people of any time and any place find right or wrong
There is objective morality- A being I call God exists outside the universe that influences us through the Holy Spirit to inform of objective morality.

I think, most religious conceptions of morality are like that cartoon where, in the middle of solving an equation on a blackboard, the individual writes, "and then a miracle happens," and the professor says that he thinks he needs to be more explicit in that step. Theist accounts of morals typically only have a surface appearance of logic, reason, and sufficiency. A little leverage at the right points, and they come flying apart.

I can't say that I agree with Gae Bolga about the second half of that statement. He and I both acknowledge the possibility of objective morals in the absence of a god or similar transcendent source, but we diverge significantly from there. I disagree with the bulk of his ideas concerning moral realism and how it may arise.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(November 20, 2018 at 6:05 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: There's an interesting misconception that the faithful have, with regards to which side of that line they find themselves on, on account of their faith.  The religious often call their other-than objective moral system objective..and the irreligious mistakenly describe their objective moral system as other-than objective.

You are a much needed breath of fresh air on these forums.  May I be so annoying as to answer your question with a question? Where do god’s morals come from, and by what method or criteria can it be concluded that they are objective?
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
@Jorg
I disagree with the bulk of ideas concerning moral realism and how it arises, as well.  Wink
(mostly because every contemporary form of moral realism has been deeply informed by error theory, even though they all, ultimately, reject it.)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

"God" is merely a claim you heard in the past and bought from someone else. There are 7 billion humans and not every one of them buys the same super natural being claim you do. 

Maybe you need to consider all that is is your own fear of being finite, and a reflection of your own human qualities in fictional form.

If you don't  need to plop in Thor as a gap answer to why lightening happens, what makes you think in a 13.8 billion year old universe humans are some sort of apple of a super cognition's eye? 

Our species evolved to socialize and THAT, not old mythology, not old writings, but our evolution, is where we develop our sense of morality.

If this "God" you think is real is so "objective" then why don't we still live under kings? Why don't we still own slaves? Why can women vote now?
None of that has anything to do with objective morality, either.
Morality is what I say is right!
Immorality is what I say is wrong!
(November 20, 2018 at 6:59 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(November 20, 2018 at 6:50 pm)tackattack Wrote: So I've been told that I might have a misconception and I didn't want to put this in philosophy because it's on account of my faith as a Christian.

You are a much needed breath of fresh air on these forums.  May I be so annoying as to answer your question with a question? Where do god’s morals come from, and by what method or criteria can it be concluded that they are objective?

That is the big question why is it my opinions on morality are subjective, but this god's opinions on morality aren't? If they come from an individual, they're subjective. Hence why a lot of people nowadays are against ethnic cleansing, whereas the god of the bible uses that as his standard response to things not going right.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Quote:There is universal morality (possibly)- things that rational people of any time and any place find right or wrong

An example, please.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 88800 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Bibe Study 2: Questionable Morality Rhondazvous 30 2836 May 27, 2019 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Vicki Q
  pop morality Drich 862 140787 April 9, 2016 at 12:54 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Question to Theists About the Source of Morality GrandizerII 33 7589 January 8, 2016 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  C.S. Lewis and the Argument From Morality Jenny A 15 6200 August 3, 2015 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  The questionable morality of Christianity (and Islam, for that matter) rado84 35 7487 July 21, 2015 at 9:01 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Stereotyping and morality Dontsaygoodnight 34 8143 March 20, 2015 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  You CAN game Christian morality RobbyPants 82 17527 March 12, 2015 at 3:39 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Challenge regarding Christian morality robvalue 170 35897 February 16, 2015 at 10:17 am
Last Post: Tonus
  The Prisoner's Dilemma and Objective/Subjective Morality RobbyPants 9 4237 December 17, 2014 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: dyresand