Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 2:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Trinity Doctrine: Help me out, Christians
The Trinity Doctrine: Help me out, Christians
Let's see if we can make some sense out of this.

The Trinity, in the mainstream sense, refers to the one God who is three Persons, each being fully the one God, yet distinct from each other.

The Father is fully the one God.

The Son is fully the one God.

The Holy Spirit is fully the one God.

They are all one and the same God, yet three distinct Persons of God?

Of course, many of us are aware of the history behind how the Trinity doctrine came to be, but let's overlook that for the sake of argument and let's see how theists who are all about using logic can make logical sense out of this one.

Remember, the Persons of the Trinity are each the one and only God; they are not aspects/states of the one God (i.e., modalism) or three gods in one (e.g., as Mormons believe).
RE: The Trinity Doctrine: Help me out, Christians
Let's ask two of them:

At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
1+1+1 = 1

It's even shitty math.
The trinity is still a mystery to us. It's one of those things that are beyond our capacity to understand, and we just don't have the ability to quite wrap our heads around it. It is the same as trying to comprehend a different dimension - not something we can imagine because it is outside our laws of time/physics. That's the best logical sense we can make of it at this time.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Da fodder, from da sun for da holy goat. Hay man.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
"A wizard did it."
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(January 31, 2018 at 1:12 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: The trinity is still a mystery to us. It's one of those things that are beyond our capacity to understand, and we just don't have the ability to quite wrap our heads around it. It is the same as trying to comprehend a different dimension - not something we can imagine because it is outside our laws of time/physics. That's the best logical sense we can make of it at this time.

Except it's not the same as trying to comprehend a different dimension. I can comprehend a fourth dimension just fine, (and appreciate it as logically possible) it's the visualizing part that is impossible.

The Trinity, on the other hand, I can't even conceive of as logically possible. If A, B, and C are each D, then A = B = C = D, but per Trinity doctrine, A and B and C are not equal to each other, even though they are each equal to D. Seems like it's clearly violating an axiom or two.
(January 31, 2018 at 1:18 pm)Grandizer Wrote:
(January 31, 2018 at 1:12 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: The trinity is still a mystery to us. It's one of those things that are beyond our capacity to understand, and we just don't have the ability to quite wrap our heads around it. It is the same as trying to comprehend a different dimension - not something we can imagine because it is outside our laws of time/physics. That's the best logical sense we can make of it at this time.

Except it's not the same as trying to comprehend a different dimension. I can comprehend a fourth dimension just fine, (and appreciate it as logically possible) it's the visualizing part that is impossible.

The Trinity, on the other hand, I can't even conceive of as logically possible. If A, B, and C are each D, then A = B = C = D, but per Trinity doctrine, A and B and C are not equal to each other, even though they are each equal to D. Seems like it's clearly violating an axiom or two.

Really? That's interesting. I certainly can't comprehend a different dimension at all.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
It's all down to shamrocks.  A shamrock has three distinct leaves, but remains one plant.  Or, as Eric Idle put it, 'God is like a shamrock - small, green, and split three ways.'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 31, 2018 at 1:21 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Really? That's interesting. I certainly can't comprehend a different dimension at all.

You know, it's one thing to ask people to believe something that can't be proven. It's quite another to ask them to believe something that can't be comprehended. Who initially formulated the doctrine if he himself could not comprehend it?

"Meh, nobody understands it. Just believe it, okay?"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] The Trinity zwanzig 127 7375 January 23, 2021 at 10:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7800 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Refuting trinity. Mystic 35 5346 April 8, 2018 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: JackRussell
  The Trinity and Mary vorlon13 52 14530 May 30, 2017 at 12:28 pm
Last Post: Lek
  Washington Post Tries To Help Out Creatards and Ken Ham goes ballistic. Minimalist 12 3027 January 1, 2017 at 11:17 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  former Christians here? i need help with a research mcolafson 3 1270 August 29, 2016 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 31224 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  10 apologist mistakes about trinity Mystic 21 4121 April 2, 2016 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: athrock
  A doctrine of alienation Mystical 39 6396 September 23, 2015 at 11:52 am
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Christians. Prove That You Are Real/True Christians Nope 155 51151 September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho