Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 4, 2024, 11:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unconventional opinions
RE: Unconventional opinions
(April 12, 2014 at 7:28 am)ElDinero Wrote: Cool. So how would you go about implementing this?

End tax breaks for religious organizations, criminalize the behavior of corporations who store trillions offshore to avoid taxes, and raise those already stupendously low taxes. Drastically cut corporate welfare spending. Streamline defense spending to the effect that we have a defensive military that takes very limited interfering role in any external affairs. That should more than cover education for all, which would ultimately pay for itself thanks to there being many more skilled and educated people who would be paying taxes instead of drawing welfare in a lifetime of poverty.
I think that it's okay to feel better than other people. This is a major taboo in our society. It doesn't seem to jive with reality, which is that I am better than other people.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
(April 12, 2014 at 5:16 pm)c172 Wrote: [Image: panic.gif] <---This is the only smilie that should be allowed, and no less than 5 should appear in anybody's post, regardless of emotion you are actually trying to get across.
[Image: panic.gif]
[Image: panic.gif][Image: panic.gif][Image: panic.gif][Image: panic.gif]

I always try to find excuses to use that smilie.
[Image: thfrog.gif]

Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(April 11, 2014 at 12:10 pm)KUSA Wrote: Different jobs must pay differently.
Not necessarily. As I explained previously, that's simply the current model based on the erroneous premise of skill rarity. I'd ask you to consider the current balance of wage distribution and the types of roles which attract the highest salaries as an illustration of how that model causes real-world problems. There are companies which have increased salaries for 'lower-level' staff to essentially take people's money worries off the table and balanced their overall wage distribution more. In these cases, we see increased rates of staff motivation, performance and job satisfaction across the board when compared to companies which follow the traditional pay models. The idea that higher wages = higher skill = higher performance has already been thoroughly discredited. As it's a highly unintuitive idea and our business schools roll out students trainedin the traditional management mindsets, things aren't likely to change quickly but they are changing.
Quote:I am a highly skilled technician in electronics, mechanics, and hydraulics. I get payed much more than anyone I work with because I have a higher level of skills than anyone in my company. Basically I fix what others can not fix. They don't have the ability to do it.
Here's a couple of questions which might make you think a little differently:

1. Why aren't other people able to do the job you do? Is it a question of physical/intellectual capability?
2. If the end-effect to the paying customer is indistinguishable from there not being a problem which requires your unique individual input, why should your co-workers receive a lower wage so that yours can be higher?

I don't expect answers here, I'm just using the questions to stir your mental juices.
Quote:I would not do this job if I could get a cushy air conditioned low stress easy job that payed the same. I would walk away from doing what I do now. The reason I do it is because I am good at it and that translates in to money.
That's your personal prerogative. The evidence shows that the majority trend is to still want to do the jobs you're good at and enjoy doing, as long as your wage covers your general financial needs. The more balanced the wage distribution, the greater the likelihood of more people's salaries covering their needs.
Quote:Your theory is very flawed. You can get all the videos you want but it is just fantasy to believe it. The real world doesn't work that way.
The evidence shows quite the contrary.
Sum ergo sum
@ Ben Davis
Please tell us what exactly you do for a living. I am really curious.
I hate Seinfeld. The show and the "comedian" himself.

I think voting is pointless.

Cats are absolutely and genuinely stupid animals.

Babies are ugly, most of the time
(April 12, 2014 at 9:04 pm)Shaggy Wrote: I hate Seinfeld. The show and the "comedian" himself.
Can't say I've watched the show/comedian.
(April 12, 2014 at 9:04 pm)Shaggy Wrote: I think voting is pointless.
How so? what better option can you think of?
(April 12, 2014 at 9:04 pm)Shaggy Wrote: Cats are absolutely and genuinely stupid animals.
I'm not so sure about this. I think the fact that they trick cat lovers into thinking they love them, while in reality seeing them as property is pretty intelligent. (Not that it counts, seeing as they do it unconsciously)
(April 12, 2014 at 9:04 pm)Shaggy Wrote: Babies are ugly, most of the time
And smelly.
[Image: thfrog.gif]

Unconventional opinions
(April 12, 2014 at 12:29 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote:
(April 12, 2014 at 10:46 am)Justtristo Wrote: I should clarify that nudity should be allowed in public places (where it is currently forbidden, expect for nude beaches.)

The prudish streak that runs through our society always seemed strange to me.

Puritans. Always the Puritans.
(April 12, 2014 at 12:33 pm)No_God Wrote: I support torturing terrorists for information and I don't think water boarding is that bad.

Yeah, couple of quick questions for you:

1) Have you every been tortured?

2) Have you ever seen/heard someone else be tortured?

3) Have you ever been water boarded?

Unless you can honestly answer 'yes' to all three questions, kindly shut the fuck up about something you can't possibly understand.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  European Opinions Foxaèr 0 216 September 27, 2023 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Your opinions are required regarding this project . Enlightened Ape 7 1338 April 28, 2018 at 11:07 pm
Last Post: Losty
  My schizophrenic opinions on sex segregation in gyms paulpablo 6 1331 August 30, 2016 at 3:05 am
Last Post: Regina
  So, I did it. Opinions needed Joods 31 2749 August 15, 2016 at 6:15 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  I don't think, this to be racist, but your give your opinions abaris 20 2887 March 7, 2016 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Your opinions, please Thumpalumpacus 40 4750 December 12, 2015 at 3:13 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  The God Delusion: Your opinions on it? IanHulett 40 4838 February 4, 2015 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Opinions wanted Sejanus 20 3365 September 5, 2014 at 10:56 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  To buy or not to buy? Opinions needed! Clueless Morgan 4 1524 January 20, 2014 at 7:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Building a computer, advice? Opinions? Live_free 11 3952 October 24, 2010 at 10:00 am
Last Post: orogenicman