Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 15, 2024, 2:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"They'll just raise prices if thy raise the minimum wage."
RE: "They'll just raise prices if thy raise the minimum wage."
(April 16, 2014 at 10:11 am)Pickup_shonuff Wrote:
(April 16, 2014 at 10:10 am)Heywood Wrote: Just take money from the rich and give it to the poor through a progressive tax rate
Totally down.

You have to remember that a minimum wage makes it illegal for a person to sell their labor for a price which is less than that specified by the government. Minimum wage is a restriction on an individuals freedom.

I am very sympathetic to closing the disparity between the rich and poor. I just think it is stupid to think the government can close that disparity by monkeying with the labor markets. If they do...some people are screwed.

Suppose for instance you are a hiring manager and you have two applicants that are equal in every respect save one. One applicant just got out of prison for theft. You are forced to pay $10.10 an hour. The ex con begs you for a chance to show that he has reformed his ways. Why should you even consider taking on the extra risk of hiring the ex-con when you have another candidate you feel will do the job equally well?

However if the ex-con was allowed to sell his labor at any rate, the ex-con could agree to work for less....thus compensate you for taking on the risk of employing a known thief who promises he has reformed his ways.
Which is exactly what corporations want. They know if they can pay others less than they can force others to accept less. Leading to lower wages. That is why republicans and the corporations have worked so hard to kill off the unions with right to work states (which leads to lower wages) and other laws (similar to what Walker passed in Wisconsin) to further decrease the influence of government unions.

That is why our economy isn't performing as well as it should. Lower wages lead to lower demand which of course leads to lower employment.

In your scenario, both will end up employed at higher wages if we have a higher minimum wage.
(April 16, 2014 at 10:57 am)Heywood Wrote: You have to remember that a minimum wage makes it illegal for a person to sell their labor for a price which is less than that specified by the government. Minimum wage is a restriction on an individuals freedom.
I see it differently. I see it as restricting one person or small group's freedom who would otherwise even more so restrict the freedom of many, namely all the employees of that one person or small group. So actually minimum wage is expanding the freedom to pursue happiness for many people and not really hurting anyone's pursuits, except perhaps an individual who's sole desire is to consume as many resources for personal gain as possible. But to modify what one prominent Republican once said, "Corporations aren't people, my friend."

Quote:I am very sympathetic to closing the disparity between the rich and poor. I just think it is stupid to think the government can close that disparity by monkeying with the labor markets. If they do...some people are screwed.
Who else is going to close it? The compassionate Wall Street executive?

Quote:Suppose for instance you are a hiring manager and you have two applicants that are equal in every respect save one. One applicant just got out of prison for theft. You are forced to pay $10.10 an hour. The ex con begs you for a chance to show that he has reformed his ways. Why should you even consider taking on the extra risk of hiring the ex-con when you have another candidate you feel will do the job equally well?

However if the ex-con was allowed to sell his labor at any rate, the ex-con could agree to work for less....thus compensate you for taking on the risk of employing a known thief who promises he has reformed his ways.
Wait, so what are you advocating, that we treat ex-cons like slaves?
(April 16, 2014 at 11:06 am)Pickup_shonuff Wrote:
(April 16, 2014 at 10:57 am)Heywood Wrote: You have to remember that a minimum wage makes it illegal for a person to sell their labor for a price which is less than that specified by the government. Minimum wage is a restriction on an individuals freedom.
I see it differently. I see it as restricting one person or small group's freedom who would otherwise even more so restrict the freedom of many, namely all the employees of that one person or small group. So actually minimum wage is expanding the freedom to pursue happiness for many people and not really hurting anyone's pursuits, except perhaps an individual who's sole desire is to consume as many resources for personal gain as possible. But to modify what one prominent Republican once said, "Corporations aren't people, my friend."

Then when they argued that a minimum wage was necessary to prevent blacks from undercutting white labor(and thus put their negro hands and feet on the economic ladder) you agree there is some truth to that argument?

I answered your question about who would close the disparity....My solution is the negative income tax that guarantees everyone a basic income.

I am advocating we don't price ex-cons out of the labor market and thus prevent them from climbing the economic ladder. Give them an option to work instead of crime....If you do some might reform.
(April 16, 2014 at 9:41 am)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: Heywood is either extremely wealthy or duped. Or possibly both?

He's just your typical republicunt asswipe who thinks that if someone isn't rich they aren't worth shit.

Fuck. I feel the same way about hypocritical xtian bastards.
(April 16, 2014 at 11:48 am)Minimalist Wrote: He's just your typical republicunt asswipe who thinks that if someone isn't rich they aren't worth shit.

Which is somewhat ironic, considering that Republicans rely upon the ignorant theistic non-wealthy who reside in those bible-belt red states.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
"They'll just raise prices if thy raise the minimum wage."
(April 16, 2014 at 9:41 am)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: Heywood is either extremely wealthy or duped. Or possibly both?

He's going to win the lottery any day now and become a millionaire. That's why we need to lower taxes for the rich, and less labor laws for the multinational company he's starting right after he wins.
(April 16, 2014 at 11:48 am)Minimalist Wrote:

He's just your typical republicunt asswipe who thinks that if someone isn't rich they aren't worth shit.

Fuck. I feel the same way about hypocritical xtian bastards.

Minimalist.....You are a peddler of hate. Your goal in this forum is to try to get people to hate anyone who doesn't think like you do. You don't care about individual freedom or welfare. What you care about is promoting your own worldview and silencing thru insults anyone who opposes it.

Minimalist....you are a buffoon....an evil hateful one. I have about as much respect for you as I do Adolph Hitler.
(April 16, 2014 at 11:59 am)Heywood Wrote: you are a buffoon.

[Image: pot-kettle.jpg]
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I'm thinking about how this negative income tax coupled with no minimum wage would work.
So everyone gets subsidized by the government to make a minimum salary. At the same time corporations can pay as low as they want. What will happen is the corporations will pay $1 an hour and the government will pick up the rest of the tab.
This smells like corporate welfare.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UBI & Citizens Wage FrustratedFool 8 1009 September 14, 2023 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Raising the minimum wage won't help Foxaèr 156 8770 June 16, 2021 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Why $15 an hour minimum wage SUCKS onlinebiker 94 4813 December 21, 2020 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  People do not know how close they really are until they start a war with somebody WinterHold 5 1005 October 10, 2019 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  US - raise the gas tax onlinebiker 55 3754 November 30, 2018 at 10:25 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  It's Just One Vote and It's Just One Carbon Footprint Duty 16 1093 October 26, 2018 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Will Muslims love Trump? They are whiny little bitches just like him. Greatest I am 1 933 September 7, 2017 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Can Republicans finally just admit that they hate black people NuclearEnergy 7 2022 July 10, 2017 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  So will Trump and his supporters understand that they won't always get what they want NuclearEnergy 0 968 April 29, 2017 at 7:25 am
Last Post: NuclearEnergy
  So I see that Mnuchin is going to raise the tax rate to 15% GUBU 5 1558 April 27, 2017 at 12:20 am
Last Post: Minimalist