Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 29, 2024, 1:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is suicide wrong?
RE: Is suicide wrong?
Anyone here seen the movie "Whose Life Is It Anyway?"
Quote:Ken Harrison is an artist that makes sculptures. One day he is involved in a car accident, and is paralyzed from his neck. All he can do is talk, and he wants to die. In hospital he make friends with some of the staff, and they support him when he goes to trial to be allowed to die.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083326/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Richard Dreyfuss plays the part of Ken Harrison. The film makes some very cogent points relating to the subject of suicide. Courts around the country use the canard of harm to self and others a bit too loosely. Unless they ca show that a person is not capable of making a rational decision (grief or depression does not automatically preclude rational thinking) then they should have no right to enforce their arbitrary decision that living is better than death. There are many cases where death could be preferable.

As much as I hated living in Oregon, it may well wind up being where I go to die. It's the only state that (currently) legally allows physician assisted suicide. Hopefully more states (and especially my home state) will pass similar laws. While I never wish to return to Oregon except for brief visits to family that still live there, neither do I wish to suffer the indignity of a long, drawn out, painful death.

In case you want to know but don't want to watch the movie:

Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
Yes. It is terribly wrong. They should all get the death penalty.

(Not directed at you Rasetsu. *hugs* Just taking a tough day out on the dumb fucks who say stupid stuff here.)
(May 29, 2014 at 12:14 am)GalacticBusDriver Wrote: As much as I hated living in Oregon, it may well wind up being where I go to die. It's the only state that (currently) legally allows physician assisted suicide. Hopefully more states (and especially my home state) will pass similar laws. While I never wish to return to Oregon except for brief visits to family that still live there, neither do I wish to suffer the indignity of a long, drawn out, painful death.

LOL, how funny... I love living in Oregon!

I do have to correct one minor point in what you said, however. Oregon does not allow "physician assisted suicide." It is a right-to-die state. A physician is only allowed to prescribe the means to commit suicide. They are not permitted to "assist" in any other way. The individual takes the step entirely on their own.

But your main point is taken, of course. I am grateful to live in a right-to-die state for the very reasons you enumerated.
Don't get me wrong. There are many beautiful places to see in Oregon, but the constant overcast 9 month each year gets incredibly old. Especially when you're used to 300+ days of sunshine every year.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
At some point you have to say that "we stopped the jumper from jumping" because it made "you" feel good.

feeling good is fine. Just keep feeling yourself in your on home.
Or at the very least, clean it up yourself and leave the rest of us out of it.
(May 29, 2014 at 12:46 am)whateverist Wrote: Yes. It is terribly wrong. They should all get the death penalty.

(Not directed at you Rasetsu. *hugs* Just taking a tough day out on the dumb fucks who say stupid stuff here.)

Either way, they come to play, and Alice has a good day~ Tiger
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Its wrong, if you're gonna hurt the people who love you by doing so .
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
(June 7, 2014 at 7:58 pm)Marsellus Wallace Wrote: Its wrong, if you're gonna hurt the people who love you by doing so .

It's more right than it is wrong: your death means they don't have to endure a depressed <whatever>. Most right way to die like this? Find a way to finagle something to them, and then be a jerk to them until they don't even like you anymore... then you go off and leave them (in this case example: children. Financial stipend/godparent comes into play). You disappear, and they don't even have to endure your death.

Of course... if you're already dead: it's a little bit trickier.
(June 7, 2014 at 8:04 pm)Alice Wrote:
(June 7, 2014 at 7:58 pm)Marsellus Wallace Wrote: Its wrong, if you're gonna hurt the people who love you by doing so .

It's more right than it is wrong: your death means they don't have to endure a depressed <whatever>. Most right way to die like this? Find a way to finagle something to them, and then be a jerk to them until they don't even like you anymore... then you go off and leave them (in this case example: children. Financial stipend/godparent comes into play). You disappear, and they don't even have to endure your death.

Of course... if you're already dead: it's a little bit trickier.

The action of committing suicide was the reason for the previous action which is making them hate you. That moment when they know about your death, may not hurt them, but that only would be because you already did .

Kinda like if you kill a guy to steal his money, cuz taking a dead man's money is technically not stealing .
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
(June 7, 2014 at 8:20 pm)Marsellus Wallace Wrote: The action of committing suicide was the reason for the previous action which is making them hate you. That moment when they know about your death, may not hurt them, but that only would be because you already did.

Some pains are worse than others. I'd rather they think me a git and be glad to be rid of me than they think me the sun and moon and see me dim slowly until they live in the shadow of my darkness... unable to escape its throes as it colours them greyer until they are blacker than coal.

Quote:Kinda like if you kill a guy to steal his money, cuz taking a dead man's money is technically not stealing .

Save your life... steal your car. Choices.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The right way to be and the wrong way to be Ahriman 57 5649 April 29, 2022 at 9:23 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  I went to the wrong kind of school. onlinebiker 5 549 April 20, 2022 at 3:26 pm
Last Post: brewer
  My not-so-fatal Suicide. Goosebump 7 1031 July 28, 2021 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Suicide among Christians purplepurpose 6 484 May 29, 2021 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A DNR that went wrong. Jehanne 12 990 March 31, 2021 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  was it my big boobs or just the wrong stool funcouple 8 1190 August 30, 2019 at 11:07 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  assisted suicide vs suicide prevention Catholic_Lady 130 20336 June 18, 2018 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Born in the wrong country Alexmahone 3 1091 April 20, 2018 at 5:35 pm
Last Post: Enlightened Ape
  Do you have the courage to commit suicide in case if terminal disease? Macoleco 62 10783 April 18, 2018 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Does it take courage or cowardice to commit suicide? ErGingerbreadMandude 35 5842 November 30, 2017 at 8:59 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist