Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 5:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A DNR that went wrong.
A DNR that went wrong.
I have been doing work in healthcare as of late, and to protect confidentiality, I will be somewhat vague here.  Recently I visited a home of an elderly lady to setup some medical equipment for her.  While I was doing so, she complained to me how she had went to the hospital and that the medical staff "had brought me back" and that they had not "honored my DNR".  She was completely lucid and was able to stand and move under her own power.  After my initial shock at her statement, I told her that I was so very glad that she "was here".

But, from that moment on, I was anxious to finish my work and leave!  I did wish her a wonderful day and week!!
RE: A DNR that went wrong.
Even dementia patients can seem to have moments of clarity.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(March 30, 2021 at 9:53 pm)Eleven Wrote: Even dementia patients can seem to have moments of clarity.

She was living alone, in a very nice apartment.  Anything is possible, of course, but, if she had dementia, she would have been elsewhere; at least that's been my experience.
There are varying degrees of dementia, but of course only a psyche professional could properly diagnose her.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
There's not enough info to determine if her dementia - if any - is relevant to the hospital not honouring her DNR. Let's assume she does have dementia, with the typical good days and bad days. If she had a DNR we have no way of knowing when it was issued. It's perfectly plausible that she arranged for it pre-dementia.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I save time by just writing in DNRs on my patients' charts.
Dying to live, living to die.
(March 31, 2021 at 6:00 am)The Valkyrie Wrote: I save time by just writing in DNRs on my patients' charts.

Genius! Who'd a thunk it could be that easy?
Maybe being a materialist with no expectation or hope of afterlife, all of this is a bit strange to me!
When one of my grandmothers got up in years she requested a DNR because her sisters and brother, grandpa and many of her friends were already gone. Perhaps it's just a person being ready to go and not wanting heroic measures taken.

It seems that going forward to put a DNR in place that a person's wishes should be followed. At the end, with my dad, even though he had a DNR and was clearly of sound mind though failing body, he reiterated his wishes to the doctor who then had to meet with one of us kids (me, as it turned out) to make sure dad really, really wanted this. Dad's DNR was something he updated every few months in his last three years of life but it was still questioned when it got to that point.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(March 31, 2021 at 11:11 am)arewethereyet Wrote: When one of my grandmothers got up in years she requested a DNR because her sisters and brother, grandpa and many of her friends were already gone.  Perhaps it's just a person being ready to go and not wanting heroic measures taken.  

It seems that going forward to put a DNR in place that a person's wishes should be followed.  At the end, with my dad, even though he had a DNR and was clearly of sound mind though failing body, he reiterated his wishes to the doctor who then had to meet with one of us kids (me, as it turned out) to make sure dad really, really wanted this.  Dad's DNR was something he updated every few months in his last three years of life but it was still questioned when it got to that point.

I don’t understand how it’s ethically possible to NOT honour a DNR. It doesn’t violate medical ethics or the Hippocratic Oath, it isn’t physician-assisted suicide, it’s not a sanctity of life issue, and it’s certainly not forcible medical treatment. It should be a consenting, competent adult’s inviolate right to decline medical treatment for themselves , no questions asked.

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The right way to be and the wrong way to be Ahriman 57 4700 April 29, 2022 at 9:23 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  I went to the wrong kind of school. onlinebiker 5 446 April 20, 2022 at 3:26 pm
Last Post: brewer
  was it my big boobs or just the wrong stool funcouple 8 960 August 30, 2019 at 11:07 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Went back to the doctor today Foxaèr 22 1570 October 9, 2018 at 10:36 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Born in the wrong country Alexmahone 3 897 April 20, 2018 at 5:35 pm
Last Post: Enlightened Ape
  Went to church today Alexmahone 28 2213 March 25, 2018 at 7:52 pm
Last Post: Lok1
  My checkbook balanced went it should not have. Jehanne 2 368 November 7, 2017 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  What's Wrong Amarok 32 4282 January 14, 2017 at 2:28 am
Last Post: Amarok
  I was wrong rado84 30 2975 July 22, 2016 at 5:03 am
Last Post: rado84
  It should never be considered wrong Foxaèr 35 2998 July 8, 2016 at 6:09 am
Last Post: ignoramus