Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 28, 2024, 9:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abraham, Isaac, and a Dead Toddler
RE: Abraham, Isaac, and a Dead Toddler
(June 10, 2014 at 2:25 pm)Lek Wrote:
(June 10, 2014 at 2:07 pm)Tonus Wrote: [quote='Theonewhoanswersyourquestions' pid='685533' dateline='1402422304']Honestly, yes it is possible, yet we are born in sin, there is still In Romans 7:14-25, Paul admits that he seeks to do what is right but cannot avoid committing sin, and expresses his despair at his lowly state ("What a wretched man I am!"). Thus the notion that we bear the full responsibility for our decisions seems false-- we have been corrupted and cannot help but to sin. Humanity has been cursed by god before all but two of us (Adam and Eve) had the opportunity to prove ourselves.

Paul wasn't saying here it was impossible to not sin. He said that, try as he could, he was unable to keep from sinning. It is true that all have sinned, but God didn't say that it was impossible not to sin. It's in our nature to sin and we must rely on a supernatural power to be saved.

Yes we must rely on God, but we must also tell ourselves not to sin, although hard, it is not impossible, and I'm glad I can find another Chrostain amongst all these hateful souls
(June 10, 2014 at 2:21 pm)Theonewhoanswersyourquestions Wrote: We'll no, God is almighty and no one is better than him, and there's always an opportunity to stop something from happening, you stopping the kid from running in traffic, is an example of that

Does this mean that God is unwilling to prevent bad things from happening?
(June 10, 2014 at 2:21 pm)Theonewhoanswersyourquestions Wrote:
(June 10, 2014 at 2:14 pm)Starvald Demelain Wrote: I'd say a good portion of the population is better than the Abrahamic god. Big Grin

And no, no one is greater than God, just saying that proves you are worse

Pretty sure I'm better than your god. I've never asked an ancient civilization to mutilate their genitalia for no reason, killed innocent babies, smote a town, planned for people to brutally kill my son, put people through hellishly traumatic situations in a pissing contest with another cosmic being or flooded the earth. Oh, and if I had immeasurable power I'd certainly be able to handle a few iron chariots.

Any questions sweetheart?

Angel Cloud
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
(June 10, 2014 at 2:21 pm)Theonewhoanswersyourquestions Wrote: Paul says this knowing he can't be perfect, and knowing most people cannot either, sin is too appealing to the human eye, so yes, it is our fault

And if we would have given the choice to choose again, it would have saddened God more and more, because time an time again we would have chosen sin, not purposely, but still would have committed sin, knowing it is wrong, hell, even I sin sometimes, inside I know it's wrong but I mess up, and God forgives me of my sin, and forgives all sin if the commiter truly sees the error of ways and repents
That doesn't make sense. Either humans are capable of avoiding sin, or they are not. If it's true that "most" people cannot sin, then there must be examples of people who have never sinned. And how can sin be "too appealing" to humans? Paul did not indicate that he desired to sin, but that he did so in spite of himself.
Lek Wrote:Paul wasn't saying here it was impossible to not sin. He said that, try as he could, he was unable to keep from sinning. It is true that all have sinned, but God didn't say that it was impossible not to sin. It's in our nature to sin and we must rely on a supernatural power to be saved.
Same as above. On the one hand, it's not impossible to be perfect, yet on the other hand no one seems to be able to avoid sinning because it's in our nature. You are contradicting yourselves, apparently in an effort to clear god of the blame for man's sins.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(June 10, 2014 at 2:02 pm)Cato Wrote:
(June 10, 2014 at 1:54 pm)Lek Wrote: The devil wouldn't want to stop her and if God allows our free will he won't stop it either.

I'm better than God then. Despite my children's free will I didn't allow them to play in traffic.

God doesn't allow us to sin, there's a punishment for it, same as your children, you do not allow it yet you can't stop it, if they are determined to do so. Man inherently will deal with punishment to test the bounds of wrong.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(June 10, 2014 at 3:13 pm)Godschild Wrote: God doesn't allow us to sin, there's a punishment for it, same as your children, you do not allow it yet you can't stop it, if they are determined to do so.

GC

It is irresponsible to not bother trying to stop it, especially when God is supposed to be far more capable of intervening than a regular human parent. A responsible parent also informs their children ahead of time what is unacceptable and attempts to show the inherent harm of doing unacceptable things (such as playing with fire). A responsible parent doesn't set arbitrary rules. They also don't kill their children (or their children's friends/family/entire culture) for disobedience.

I don't get this very common Christian behavior, the attempt to gloss over the flaws of your god by comparing him to a flawed human. God is supposed to be better than that. I wonder why he never is.
What an interesting picture of “God“ we're getting here. Omniscient and can predict the future, yet doesn't know what will happen. Allows bad things to happen, where humans would actively try to prevent them, but doesn't allow us to sin, and wouldn't intervene anyway because free will...

They're coming to take me away, ha-haa,
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haa
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Sometimes I lose hope in humanity.... But I still can't give up, u don't know why we try to argue over the internet, it won't help anything, but if we were to meet in person you'd realize how much more powerful God is
So might makes right, is that what you're saying?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(June 10, 2014 at 4:25 pm)Theonewhoanswersyourquestions Wrote: Sometimes I lose hope in humanity.... But I still can't give up, u don't know why we try to argue over the internet, it won't help anything, but if we were to meet in person you'd realize how much more powerful God is

Should I take this to mean that you have verifiable and objective evidence that conclusively and incontrovertibly displays the trademark of the specific god you choose to worship?

If you don't have that (and we know you don't), then all you'd accomplish with a face-to-face is saving us the extra hassle of typing out laughter.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still Angry about Abraham and Isaac zwanzig 29 2244 October 1, 2023 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Toddler sings "Aint no homo gonna make it to heaven." Church crowd cheers Ziploc Surprise 59 26856 July 10, 2013 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Michael Schubert
  Sarah was half-sister of Abraham? Mystic 30 13299 March 22, 2013 at 5:48 am
Last Post: Tonus
Information God commands child sacrifice (not Isaac story) Tea Earl Grey Hot 144 54349 October 3, 2012 at 6:35 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Are faith, God and love without deeds, dead? Greatest I am 76 45620 April 10, 2012 at 1:12 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  [split] Debunking Christianity? And Boris Spacek raised the dead... Boris Spacek 18 9958 April 6, 2012 at 5:22 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused