Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
God commands child sacrifice (not Isaac story)
Information 
God commands child sacrifice (not Isaac story)
(8:18 pm. PST) edit: This is not about the story of the sacrifice of Isaac!

You almost never hear this but God in the OT actually explicitly commanded child sacrifice and then later changed his mind.

The command from God for child sacrifice. Exodus 22:29-30,
Quote:29 "You shall not delay to offer from the fulness of your harvest and from the outflow of your presses. "The first-born of your sons you shall give to me. 30 You shall do likewise with your oxen and with your sheep: seven days it shall be with its dam; on the eighth day you shall give it to me.

God later changed his mind. Ezekiel 20:25-26
Quote:25 Moreover I gave them statutes that were not good and ordinances by which they could not have life; 26 and I defiled them through their very gifts in making them offer by fire all their first-born, that I might horrify them; I did it that they might know that I am the LORD.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: God commands child sacrifice
So a child wasn't sacerficed is that your new assertion?
Bible scholar Robert M. Price discusses it in this episode if I remember it correctly http://www.thehumanbible.net/episode_002/

(September 23, 2012 at 10:55 pm)Drich Wrote: So a child wasn't sacerficed is that your new assertion?

God commanded child sacrifice. Are you denying that? It's right there in the verses I quoted.

It was undoubtedly part of early hebrew practice just like the rest of the cultures of the time.

It seems that you never read the verses before replying and assumed I was quoting the story of the sacrifice of Isaac.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(September 23, 2012 at 10:57 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: Bible scholar Robert M. Price discusses it in this episode if I remember it correctly http://www.thehumanbible.net/episode_002/

(September 23, 2012 at 10:55 pm)Drich Wrote: So a child wasn't sacerficed is that your new assertion?

God commanded child sacrifice. Are you denying that? It's right there in the verses I quoted.

It was undoubtedly part of early hebrew practice just like the rest of the cultures of the time.
Two minor issues with your conclusion:
1) I asked for book chapter and verse that shows where a Child was sacerficed to God, which you are not able to do.

2) Aberham and Isac lived long before their were "Hebrews" let alone a written "Hebrew" Law that would establish a "Hebrew Practice."
(September 23, 2012 at 11:04 pm)Drich Wrote: ...

2) Aberham and Isac lived long before their were "Hebrews" let alone a written "Hebrew" Law that would establish a "Hebrew Practice."
Yep, I was right. You didn't read what I posted! ROFLOL This is a command from God to the Israelites!. It's in Exodus!
My ignore list

(September 23, 2012 at 11:07 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote:
(September 23, 2012 at 11:04 pm)Drich Wrote: ...

Yep, I was right. You didn't read what I posted! ROFLOL This is a command from God to the Israelites!. It's in Exodus!

Big Grin I didn't look, because I know the only thing close to human sacerfice is what went down between isac and Aberham

Your quote in exo 22 hinges on the word "Give" to mean Human sacerfice. The word in the Hebrew is: נתן/nathan. It means to dedicate or promise to. http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexi...5414&t=KJV
Actually it can mean a varity of things, however none of which have anything t do with Human sacerfice.

Your second arguement looks like it was constructed from a hasty google search. here is what the text looks like when properly placed in context:
http://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm...JV#conc/26

It seems to have a completely different meaning than how you orginally thought.

I would laugh but I see you trying so I'll leave it at that. Just remember the bible was not written in english so to try and take it a just face value may leave you looking foolish.
(September 23, 2012 at 11:22 pm)Drich Wrote:
(September 23, 2012 at 11:07 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: Yep, I was right. You didn't read what I posted! ROFLOL This is a command from God to the Israelites!. It's in Exodus!

Big Grin I didn't look, because I know the only thing close to human sacerfice is what went down between isac and Aberham

Your quote in exo 22 hinges on the word "Give" to mean Human sacerfice. The word in the Hebrew is: נתן/nathan. It means to dedicate or promise to. http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexi...5414&t=KJV
Actually it can mean a varity of things, however none of which have anything t do with Human sacerfice.

You're ignoring the context. The very next sentence talks about "giving" animals. It's clearly sacrifice.
Quote:Your second arguement looks like it was constructed from a hasty google search. here is what the text looks like when properly placed in context:
http://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm...JV#conc/26

It seems to have a completely different meaning than how you orginally thought.

Nope the context supports my argument. The chapter is talking about the early Israelites and the way God dealt with them. And even in the KJV translation that you quoted (serious Christians shouldn't be using that shoddy translation) it's still plainly talking about child sacrifice. The "fire" was a method of human sacrifice back then.

Quote:Wherefore I gave them also statutes [that were] not good, and judgments whereby they should not live;
Eze 20:26 And I polluted them in their own gifts, in that they caused to pass through [the fire] all that openeth the womb, that I might make them desolate, to the end that they might know that I [am] the LORD.

(I used the RSV which is a far better translation in my OP.) The verse is a reference to the command given in Exodus.

I forgot to say...I can't find anything that says that "dedicate or promise to" is the primary meaning of "nathan." You're merely cherry picking possible meanings to give a more favorable reading.
My ignore list

(September 23, 2012 at 11:38 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: You're ignoring the context. The very next sentence talks about "giving" animals. It's clearly sacrifice.
Ah, no.
Not all animals "Given to God" were put to death. Otherwise where did the preists get their milk, eggs, wool and the like from?

Quote:Nope the context supports my argument. The chapter is talking about the early Israelites and the way God dealt with them. And even in the KJV translation that you quoted (serious Christians shouldn't be using that shoddy translation) it's still plainly talking about child sacrifice. The "fire" was a method of human sacrifice back then.
too tired to argue will have to come back tomorrow on this one.
(September 23, 2012 at 11:58 pm)Drich Wrote: Ah, no.
Not all animals "Given to God" were put to death. Otherwise where did the preists get their milk, eggs, wool and the like from?

So they sacrificed the milk, eggs, and wool? I'm not sure I understand how else one could 'give' them to god.
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
RE: God commands child sacrifice (not Isaac story)
I don't get sacrifice. What on earth would a god do with the charred corpse (animal or human)? Wouldn't a sensible god let his followers keep their source of income instead of taking it from them?

You are to wash the internal organs and the legs with water, and the priest is to burn all of it on the altar. It is a burnt offering, a food offering, an aroma pleasing to the Lord.

Oh, I never realized that god was Australian and liked his barbie that much.. Tongue
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ex-minister of secretive sect, admits to child sex abuse zebo-the-fat 1 175 January 28, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Still Angry about Abraham and Isaac zwanzig 29 1987 October 1, 2023 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Get your story straight LinuxGal 1 951 November 29, 2022 at 5:26 am
  [Serious] The Story John 6IX Breezy 115 9869 November 21, 2022 at 12:39 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  What do Catholics think of Frollo from "Hunchback of Notre Dame" story? Woah0 2 623 August 26, 2022 at 9:46 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
Thumbs Down The story of Noah' s Ark - or - God is dumber than you. onlinebiker 75 6899 September 24, 2021 at 5:53 pm
  The ridiculous story of the temptation of Jesus Simon Moon 24 2587 March 4, 2021 at 6:05 am
Last Post: GUBU
  angel story video form Drich 107 10271 April 23, 2020 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Drich
  The Jesus story has details that is most definitely made up i just realized!!! android17ak47 126 9113 October 12, 2019 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Pope Francis condemns child sex abuse and Church cover-ups zebo-the-fat 23 3611 August 20, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: GUBU