Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 20, 2024, 11:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So far...
RE: So far...
(June 12, 2014 at 5:42 pm)Luckie Wrote: Protector angels are a lovely concept when you don't attach all the mindfuck to it.

Kind of like how Fairy Godmothers are a nice concept.

Well, maybe not this one...
[Image: Fairy_Godmother_Shrek_2_(3).png]

Wink

It's comforting to think that there is someone out there always looking out for you and your best interests (God, guardian angels, a fairy godmother), and the comfort that that idea brings can be real, but relying too heavily on these beings for too long past childhood can sometimes foster an unhealthy dependency so that when you find yourself without your guardian angel or your fairy godmother or your god you feel lost, insecure, or overwhelmed.

You have my sympathies for what you're going through, Jacob, I can't imagine how hard it must be for you, and I think you need to let yourself grieve your loss so that you can heal and get stronger, but I'm glad for you. I hope that as time passes that you come to realize how strong and capable you can be on your own and that one day you'll look back on this time in your life and wonder how you ever wanted to believe a lie. <3
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
(June 12, 2014 at 4:43 pm)Rayaan Wrote: Also, I think it is psychologically impossible that you are able to feel real comfort in "believing" in something which you think is a lie. That just doesn't go together.
His cognitives were dissonant.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(June 10, 2014 at 9:12 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: Atheism sucks big hairy balls. Sorry, but it does. Personal view only you understand.

Been a few months now and so far I got zero payoff. Squat. Diddly. I preferred my comfortable lie to this ugly truth, but having unplugged, I now can't plug myself back in or unthink what I thought.

I can't even have fun debating with christians because I would not want them to lose what I lost!

I think I'm going through the kuber Ross model for Yahweh and I'm stuck on anger.

Yep, I started a similar thread on another site stating that there is no advantage in being an atheist. I wanted to steer the thread into which group of people are better off or which group is more susceptible to depresion. This didn't happen because people think questioning atheism undermines it.
8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
(June 14, 2014 at 4:29 pm)BlackMason Wrote:
(June 10, 2014 at 9:12 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: Atheism sucks big hairy balls. Sorry, but it does. Personal view only you understand.

Been a few months now and so far I got zero payoff. Squat. Diddly. I preferred my comfortable lie to this ugly truth, but having unplugged, I now can't plug myself back in or unthink what I thought.

I can't even have fun debating with christians because I would not want them to lose what I lost!

I think I'm going through the kuber Ross model for Yahweh and I'm stuck on anger.

Yep, I started a similar thread on another site stating that there is no advantage in being an atheist. I wanted to steer the thread into which group of people are better off or which group is more susceptible to depresion. This didn't happen because people think questioning atheism undermines it.

[Image: you-re-full-of-shit-o.gif]
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
N-- no advantage to experiencing reality? *shakes head
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
I think it's a messy disconnect that you suffer from. Your belief framework had a block removed and collapsed before you could understand how. You just need time to rebuild your castle, based on your new premise.
(June 10, 2014 at 6:18 pm)Lek Wrote: Can't christians have a thirst for knowledge?

Yes, they can. Right up to the point where that knowledge starts to contradict the buy-bull. Then the head goes back in the sand.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(June 14, 2014 at 6:34 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: I think it's a messy disconnect that you suffer from. Your belief framework had a block removed and collapsed before you could understand how. You just need time to rebuild your castle, based on your new premise.

Well, castles made of sand and all that.
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

* fr0d0 shares the mirror with Missy C Wink
(June 14, 2014 at 6:47 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: * fr0d0 shares the mirror with Missy C Wink

I don't build castles anymore Fr0d0. I just enjoy the beach Cool Shades

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2351 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Are the far right Christians here in the U.S. just upset they're losing power GoHalos1993 52 8574 June 9, 2016 at 3:42 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Some theists are just to far gone dyresand 36 8206 June 7, 2015 at 11:35 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Rad, ladies... far out. Mudhammam 4 1202 February 11, 2015 at 12:51 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Pleasure is far superior to mere intelligence Mozart Link 15 3242 August 1, 2014 at 3:39 am
Last Post: Violet
  Faith - Can it Go Too Far? diffidus 18 4074 June 20, 2011 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: MilesTailsPrower