Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 29, 2024, 11:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What if we're all wrong though?
RE: What if we're all wrong though?
I don't...but I did see fucking bluejays when I lived in New York. I cheered my cats when they killed one.

Annoying birds.
Annoying human!
(June 1, 2010 at 8:35 am)Tiberius Wrote: So might every believer if they are believing in the wrong God.

Or even for believing in the 'right' God. The Christian God of the Bible could exist for example but he could be a lying/sneaky/evil cunt and send all the Christians to hell for a laugh. The word of a holy book isn't evidence for anything, so it's no more likely that anyone will go to hell any more than anyone else even if a particular God of a particular holy book does actually exist right?

EvF
(June 3, 2010 at 3:44 am)tackattack Wrote: Do the 3 of you still see a problem with the P.O.E. God is personified with many actionable characteristics both good and bad in the Bible. The only attributes purely descrptive I'm aware referring to God are "God is Love", "God is among us", "God is judge", "God is holy", "God is pure" and "God is righteousness". The fact people attribute actionable thinkgs like vengeful and balme their own inequities and percieved injustice/evil and natual disasters on God still baffles me.
Not being of the 3 aimed at here I do feel a need to respond. What I wonder is why enlightened nice-guy believers such as yourself do not rip out the genocidal, maniacal, bestial old testament part out of the bible. At least that's what I would have to conclude from all seemingly untouched bibles I've found on hotel rooms in my life so far (and I've visited many!).

Also, "God is Love", "God is among us", "God is judge", "God is holy", "God is pure" and "God is righteousness" are not descriptive attributes for any sentient entity or entities since they do not describe aspects that uniquely qualify one single agent or group of agents. On the contrary, these are unintelligible concepts synthesized to espouse semi-profundity that's easy to digest by brains prone for mysticism.

"God is love", would that mean that when I love my wife it actually is god doing the loving? That's disgusting!!
"God is among us", well, really....so is disease
"God is judge", I hope we've come away of that here in the West, let's call it progress, shall we?
"God is holy", yeah and circular is his business
"God is pure", and satan is pure and even the vegetables at the groceries are pure nowadays
"God is righteousness", hence the massive continuation of needless human suffering on an epic scale
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
@PR- please I do welcome the comments, as always, and I appreciate the compliment.

My point was as a usefull descriptor of the nature of something it would necessarily need a noun, not a humanistic adjective. For instance "a Clock has gears" or a "clock tells time" as opposed to "the clock is small" or "the clock is extravagant". Love is not an unintelligible concept, nor do I use it to merely lend depth to my concept of God, I read it in a book somewhere Tongue. In this instance it's not the imperfect love we experience with our wives (not to belittle that love of course). God's Love gives and sacrifices unconditionally expecting nothing in return. It's patient, kind, does not boast, etc.. I don't think I need to quote it all for anyone. It's also for an eternity and despite the fact people hate him and deny him. It's all also speculation, but it's the basis of the Christian Faith.

As to ripping out the OT, I use it for lots of things. I find lots of religious texts useful in teaching. I wish the KJV included the apocrapha. I'm not going to destroy something because I find it less relevant to the main point.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
ROFLOL
(June 7, 2010 at 1:26 am)tackattack Wrote: @PR- please I do welcome the comments, as always, and I appreciate the compliment.

My point was as a usefull descriptor of the nature of something it would necessarily need a noun, not a

I just love they way you comparmentalise your dupliciy tacky

Worship (large)
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(June 1, 2010 at 4:56 pm)Ace Wrote: Nope. An all loving god that creates a hell for endless torture is a contradiction, and for a perfect being to contradict itself cannot therfor be perfect.

It's all part of his PLAN you see!

EvF
(June 7, 2010 at 4:18 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote:
(June 1, 2010 at 4:56 pm)Ace Wrote: Nope. An all loving god that creates a hell for endless torture is a contradiction, and for a perfect being to contradict itself cannot therfor be perfect.

It's all part of his PLAN you see!

EvF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWILhrSzw5o
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
@KichigaiNeko - did you intend to use the word duplicity? If so could you please specify where I was being false or deceptive so I can avoid that in the future?
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
that what will happen if you guys were wrong:
52. They will say: "Ah! Woe unto us! Who hath raised us up from our beds of repose?"... (A voice will say: "This is what ((Allah)) Most Gracious had promised. And true was the word of the apostles!"

53. It will be no more than a single Blast, when lo! they will all be brought up before Us!

54. Then, on that Day, not a soul will be wronged in the least, and ye shall but be repaid the meeds of your past Deeds.
(quran 36:52-54)

and also:

27."If thou couldst but see when they are confronted with the Fire! They will say: "Would that we were but sent back! Then would we not reject the signs of our Lord, but would be amongst those who believe!"

28. Yea, in their own (eyes) will become manifest what before they concealed. But if they were returned, they would certainly relapse to the things they were forbidden, for they are indeed liars.

29. And they (sometimes) say: "There is nothing except our life on this earth, and never shall we be raised up again."

30. If thou couldst but see when they are confronted with their Lord! He will say: "Is not this the truth?" They will say: "Yea, by our Lord!" He will say: "Taste ye then the penalty, because ye rejected Faith."

31. Lost indeed are they who treat it as a falsehood that they must meet Allah,- until on a sudden the hour is on them, and they say: "Ah! woe unto us that we took no thought of it"; for they bear their burdens on their backs, and evil indeed are the burdens that they bear?

32. What is the life of this world but play and amusement? But best is the home in the hereafter, for those who are righteous. Will ye not then understand?
(quran 6:27-32)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is wrong with theistic beliefs? Whateverist 65 8373 November 30, 2018 at 5:04 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Argument from "You did it wrong" zipperpull 13 2252 May 23, 2018 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Using the word "believe" wrong... maestroanth 8 2233 June 25, 2016 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: SteveII
  Responding to "Homosexuality is wrong, the same way incest is wrong" JewishAthiest 106 27449 February 9, 2016 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Please correct me where I am wrong Won2blv 35 7623 May 21, 2015 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Atheists only vote please: Do absolute MORAL truths exist? Is Rape ALWAYS "wrong"? Tsun Tsu 326 76010 February 25, 2015 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Argument of first world problems - WRONG! Dystopia 28 8461 January 18, 2015 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  [Video] What if I'm wrong about a intelligent designer? Secular Atheist 1 1268 September 28, 2014 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: ShaMan
  Try and prove me wrong on this... Mozart Link 78 14651 August 7, 2014 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  "Science does not offer one guidance for how to live" <---- WRONG. Mudhammam 13 3496 July 22, 2014 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: ignoramus