Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:10 pm

Poll: What is wrong with theist beliefs?
This poll is closed.
Are they delusional?
50.00%
8 50.00%
Is it an illusion?
25.00%
4 25.00%
Are they just plain crazy?
0%
0 0%
Something else.
25.00%
4 25.00%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is wrong with theistic beliefs?
What is wrong with theistic beliefs?
Okay, most of the theists who come here are suffering from something if only a persecution complex.  But I'd like to know what we atheists think is wrong with theistic thinking in most cases.  Your gut reaction will do fine but feel free to say why you think that.

Theistic thinking is off because believers are:

1) suffering from a delusion, defined here as a persistent false belief;

2) under the spell of an illusion, defined as misinterpreting an actual phenomenon;

3) just plain crazy;

4) or something else altogether, please elaborate.

5) Of course I should include a fuck yourself with your damned poll option too.  

Now there may be a variety of causes for the wrong thinking but here we are looking for a diagnosis of the variety of bad thinking they ended up with.  I'm going to limit you to one choice for the reason you think is most often to blame.  Also I'm making the poll public just because I'm nosy like that.
RE: What is wrong with theistic beliefs?
They're mainly indoctrinated by cultural pressure. Although the most devout ones may really be insane, and use religion to justify things they would be doing if they hadn't been raised religious. And then there are those who are flat out dishonest, and are using it for money and power.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(November 16, 2018 at 7:10 pm)Chad32 Wrote: They're mainly indoctrinated by cultural pressure. Although the most devout ones may really be insane, and use religion to justify things they would be doing if they hadn't been raised religious. And then there are those who are flat out dishonest, and are using it for money and power.

I agree that is most often the cause of what affects the thinking of theists.  I chose to characterize that thinking as being affected by an illusion because I think there is something they are experiencing which they are mistaking for evidence of God.  But like you, I think it is most often the child rearing they undergo and the nature of what beliefs the parents impart most forcibly that influences their thinking in that direction.
I don't necessarily see anything wrong with the beliefs, but I do have an issue with the inconsistent application of rational and moral norms when applied to the sphere of their beliefs and other areas of life.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Theistic beliefs calcify a dangerous arrogance in that they assert that ones personal bigotries and proclivities are written into the fabric of the cosmos itself.   There is absolutely no religious atrocity in all of history that has ever been even remotely surprising.

OFC it went that way, it was always going to.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
No, "All of the Above" choice?

Seriously, there is nothing wrong with their beliefs as long as they are just beliefs.  When the fucks start trying to cram them up everyone's asshole THAT is a problem.

They can be as stupid as they want on their own time.  No skin off my nose.
I voted “something else” because I don’t believe it’s a delusion, illusion, or craziness that makes people so sure God exists. I believe indoctrination at a young age, saturization of superstitious dogma in the culture, and other such reasons make more sense to me. You can’t honestly claim that every theist is delusional or crazy, under some mass hypnosis, right? These illogical thoughts are in their brain early, very difficult to change psychologically, and very difficult to fully disprove. Spirituality is a very human thing to have, as humans always seek answers beyond human understanding. It doesn’t help that it’s impossible to fully disprove. The Christian God can be disproved relatively easily, but it’s surprisingly difficult to convince a theist with these proofs. I would argue that theists suffer from a psychological trauma, as opposed to delusion, as there is always a sense of fear and anxiety when told to part with religion for logical reasons. I believe MOST theists are simply victims of tradition, heritage, and indoctrination from an early age.
I put "something else." To me, theism (belief in God) is a false belief. But the question asked about theistic beliefs with an "s." A great many true beliefs can be tacked on to a false one. And that is certainly the case with the major world religions.

Was Martin Luther King delusional? Was Gandhi delusional? No. Probably far less delusional than your average person. Did they each have at least one false belief. Yes, probably.
Theistic beliefs aren't a problem per se for me. I honestly don't care if some people want to believe in God, that's their worldview and more power to that.

It's the conviction that often comes with these beliefs that bother me (whereby they insult my intelligence and tell me that they proof or evidence which they clearly do not), as well as the impositions and entitlements that may arise from having these beliefs.
I don't have a problem with the beliefs themselves, but how the believers choose to act on them, whether it's protesting funerals, shooting "evil abortion doctors" or just whining about "happy holidays" greetings.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would this spark a theistic curiousity? Won2blv 7 640 September 9, 2023 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  There are no "isms" just beliefs and positions. Brian37 14 1203 September 1, 2021 at 5:19 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A question about atheistic “beliefs” (opinions, guesses, etc.) Frank Apisa 252 15630 June 30, 2021 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
Wink Refuting Theistic Argument Ricardo 40 3142 October 7, 2019 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Best Theistic Arguments ShirkahnW 251 51021 July 8, 2018 at 12:13 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Argument from "You did it wrong" zipperpull 13 1964 May 23, 2018 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  ☢The Theistic Response➼ to Atheists saying, "It Doesn't mean God Did it" The Joker 195 22942 November 24, 2016 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Why people afraid to ask questions about their beliefs? Torin 21 4476 August 13, 2016 at 1:08 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Using the word "believe" wrong... maestroanth 8 2049 June 25, 2016 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: SteveII
  Responding to "Homosexuality is wrong, the same way incest is wrong" JewishAthiest 106 25454 February 9, 2016 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: robvalue