Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Argument of first world problems - WRONG!
Argument of first world problems - WRONG!
Subject (A) - This problem exists because of reasons x and y and needs to be solved
Subject (B) - There are children starving in Africa, why care about that? / Compared to problems in third world countries, REAL problems, that's just an insignificant FIRST WORLD PROBLEM, it's not even an issue

I'm sure most of you have heard this argument, the abstract formula is, give or take, the following - I have knowledge of more important problems, therefore your problem is not important to solve / Since there are more important problems, your problem doesn't even exist and should be ignored / Taking into account other issues are not being solved, yours shouldn't be either / I lack knowledge and have never researched on that problem, therefore I consider it doesn't exist - And it's a first world problem / I'm going to wrongly equate your problems with others and given that others are bigger, yours shouldn't even be mentioned

--» This argument of first world problems represents a fallacy and shouldn't be used - I've seen and heard people using it all the time, in real life, on internet forums (including AF), and it's a treacherous form of addressing topics since people don't reply or provide evidence and simultaneously manage to somewhat get away with it

Here's why it's wrong:
1 - The fact more serious problems exist is not a reason to not address other problems
2 - The fact more serious problems exist does not prove that minor problems don't exist when compared to bigger ones
3 - Your lack of knowledge (Dunning-Kruger effect) and consequent behaviour or disregarding the issue as fake does not prove you're right if you provide no evidence
4 - Simply pointing out other non equated unrelated problems while failing to reply or counter-argument the specific topic at hand makes your whole reasoning a failure
5 - Attempts on purpose to use this argument to avoid answering don't work in your favour
6 - People have the right to fight and solve any issue they want, with the priority they want, and you have no right to tell people how to feel about it since it's a personal choice - Since it's worse in Africa and you're worried, go fix it yourself, just don't use it as an excuse to not fix our problems
7 - Just because from a personal standpoint you've been trough worse, it doesn't mean you get to tell me why I can't be sad, or frustrated or disappointed with something - Your suffering doesn't invalidate mine
8 - Equating the problem being discussed with another completely different and hardly unrelated, or even moderately related but still independent, and further arguing that because the later is not being fixed justifies not fixing the former is not a valid proposal
9 - And actually, fixing first world issues helps third world countries, because of our [western] influence over them, so it becomes a win win situation.

Anyone else subscribe to this? I'm tired of hearing this argument, it devalues the motion being dealt with and simultaneously allows the user to get away with it and sometimes winning the discussion [unjustly].
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

RE: Argument of first world problems - WRONG!
Yes, we've even given it a name around here, we call it the "Africa-Argument".
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Totally. Right on the money.

A good example of this is when I was doing street collection for the animals that suffered as the result of a natural disaster (I think it was Haiti). A woman came up and was about to put a pound in my tin, but when she saw it was for animals she declared, "I'm sorry, but people must come first." She gave me no money and walked off self righteously. I was dumbstruck.

It's no kind of argument.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Or Argumentum ad africanus to sound legit.
(January 7, 2015 at 10:29 am)LastPoet Wrote: Or Argumentum ad africanus to sound legit.

I wouldn't use Africa since third world can mean a lot of places and continents but people frequently don't even go for 3rd world countries - They say "In my society issue X shouldn't be considered because Y is more important" - I've heard one that was "Why care about gay marriage and trans rights when there are homeless people starving?"
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(January 7, 2015 at 10:29 am)LastPoet Wrote: Or Argumentum ad africanus to sound legit.
I think it's accusative, argumentum ad africam Smile
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Appealius to bullshitium.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I stand corrected.
(January 7, 2015 at 10:32 am)Blackout Wrote:

I wouldn't use Africa since third world can mean a lot of places and continents but people frequently don't even go for 3rd world countries
Yes that.
Plus when we think 3rd world problem and Africa we tend to think Ethiopia or Nigeria. But then, Africa has cities like Cairo or Johannesburg that don't suffer from "typical" 3rd world issues.
That line of reasoning just demonstrates a person's unwillingness to address a problem.

"Yeah well this thing is way worse, so I don't have to think about it!"

Somewhat reminds me of a Godwin's Law-type thing.

"Yeah well the NAZI's were way worse, so I don't have to think about this group!"
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The world's first scientist LinuxGal 8 1192 October 31, 2022 at 6:47 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  What is wrong with theistic beliefs? Whateverist 65 7032 November 30, 2018 at 5:04 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Argument from "You did it wrong" zipperpull 13 1964 May 23, 2018 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  World's first robot citizen an atheist? Mystical 63 19027 February 3, 2018 at 1:40 am
Last Post: iameatingjam
  Serious Problems with Atheism Pulse 300 23940 January 29, 2017 at 4:22 am
Last Post: maestroanth
  Using the word "believe" wrong... maestroanth 8 2049 June 25, 2016 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: SteveII
  Responding to "Homosexuality is wrong, the same way incest is wrong" JewishAthiest 106 25427 February 9, 2016 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  How to debunk the first cause argument without trying too hard Dystopia 206 45140 September 21, 2015 at 11:25 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Video Problems With the Bible pt 8 - Jonah and the Whale Mental Outlaw 0 833 July 26, 2015 at 11:38 am
Last Post: Mental Outlaw
  The Problems with Heaven (besides not existing) Mental Outlaw 0 1066 July 10, 2015 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Mental Outlaw