Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Try and prove me wrong on this...
Try and prove me wrong on this...
I am a person who views my own emotional well-being as something very important and for people who have opinions such as that it is not and that I should totally disregard it for the sake of helping others and such (even helping others with very minor things in life), these are the types of people I hate and I wish to argue with these people in order to try to get through to them how I am right and how they're wrong.

Here is my argument as to why I think my emotional well-being (pleasure) is the most important thing here in this situation:

If, let's pretend, there were a portal right there in front of me right now that would lead me to a life of perfection and eternal joy and I had the choice to either go into that portal or instead remain here on Earth and suffer with depression and such and help other people, I would go into that portal. Now before you think negative of me and such, I would actually take care of this situation of other people not being helped by having someone take my place to help others and make up for the help I chose not to offer. Then after I have chosen someone, I would then enter the portal and leave this world.

If you still think negative of me and such, I am going to clearly prove you wrong. First off, this is a "two birds with one stone situation" in which I have not only taken care of the situation in which other people have not been helped by me, but I also have given myself a life of perfection and eternal joy as well. Second, for you to still think negative of me would mean that you think that having this burden placed on someone else in helping others is more important than my own emotional well-being (my pleasure and such). This is obviously wrong and my emotional well-being is far more important than some extremely minor inconvenience in comparison in which this person would have to make up for the help I did not offer others.

Also, life has no meaning and is whatever meaning you give it. So whatever meaning I give myself such as that my happiness is the most important thing more important than anything in the world and I am all great, etc., then this would be something true (only for me).

Now being alive is superior to being dead as long as you have pleasure. So if I am emotionally alive (have all the pleasure in the world), then that makes me superior and a better person than if I were to be depressed and numb (emotionally dead) regardless of who I am, what attitude I have, and how much I help others. Even if I were a psychopath and killed many people, as long as I have all the pleasure in the world, that would make me a far better and superior person than if I were someone who is depressed and emotionally numb and helped and cared for other people. Pleasure is the absolute and defining life force of "living" and a living thing that makes you better and superior (as I know just how good of a experience pleasure is and how much it makes life worth living and is the only thing to me that makes life worth living). Without it, you are nothing regardless of how much you help others and such. So even if I didn't choose to have someone take my place in helping others before I went into that portal, I would still be the better person for choosing to have all the pleasure in the world and living a life of self-empowerment, perfection, and eternal joy.

If someone were to try to prevent me from entering that portal, even if they were innocent, I would become a psychopath and ruthlessly kill this person for not having any value towards my own emotional well-being and instead choosing to view helping others as far more important and devaluing my own emotional well-being for this sake (when I clearly know that my own emotional well-being is far more important in this case, especially since I have chosen to have someone take my place in helping others). This is another reason why I feel empowered by watching anime and feeling empowered from characters in anime who are ruthless and have a sense of self-empowerment and such. So in killing this person trying to prevent me from entering that portal, I would of felt awesome just like these ruthless characters.

Finally, if I had the choice to either be retarded and have all the pleasure in the world and give the person the burden of having to take care of me or to be intelligent and have no pleasure and not give a person this burden, I would not only choose to be retarded for all of my reasons given here, but also because this person (especially if it were my own family) should value my own emotional well-being in which they would be devastated knowing the fact that I am living a life of no pleasure despite the fact that I am intelligent and such. And that it would be far better for them to have the burden of taking care of me if I were retarded because, even though they would have this burden and perhaps a hard life resulting from it, they would at least know that I am happy and that would make them feel happy and at peace as opposed to them being devastated if I were intelligent and such with no pleasure.
RE: Try and prove me wrong on this...
There is a portal - it's called peace of mind, and all may enter at any time.
Sounds like an argument about practicality. If being selfish allows you to straighten out your life and put yourself into a position where you can eventually help others, then being selfish for a period of time is the practical choice. This assumes that the selfishness is part of a plan designed to help others selflessly later, though.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
OK, you're not a parent yet. Got it.
I can't even....just. I don't know what to say anymore.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
We get it, you'd prefer being completely delusional but happy to face reality and be miserable, many people think like you, but let's stick to reality - Now that you know the truth, it is very hard to ignore it, there's not much you can do.

And I have my doubts about theists being happier than atheists

(August 4, 2014 at 2:12 pm)Crossless1 Wrote: OK, you're not a parent yet. Got it.

I don't see why being a parent can make one's arguments or opinion less valuable. Some people choose to not have kids
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(August 4, 2014 at 3:40 pm)Blackout Wrote: I don't see why being a parent can make one's arguments or opinion less valuable. Some people choose to not have kids

It doesn't. However, the OP strikes me as a miserably self-absorbed little shit who wouldn't cross the fucking street to help someone if it impeded his "happiness" while expecting others, especially family, to sacrifice endlessly on his/her behalf (see the ridiculous "I'd rather be retarded and cared for" spiel). I have neither time nor sympathy for such people, and I speak as one who had serious bouts of depression in the past. But no matter how I felt, I was never for a moment tempted to trade off my intelligence, as the OP would. I consider it a craven and contemptible attitude.

My remark was intended to point out that the OP doesn't seem at this time to have anyone or anything else to live for. He will most likely feel different about that in the future -- especially if there are children involved. If the OP never becomes a parent -- great. He will still need to find something strong enough to pull him out of his morbid self-absorption.

**I don't know the gender of the OP. I wrote "he" just to avoid the ugly and awkward he/she. If the OP is female, my apologies.**
Isn't this basically the same thread as that other one in which Holden Caulfield--I mean Mozart Link--whines and moans about how life can't everyday be to us what Christmas morning is to a five-year-old?

What's the point of all this again? (Or was that the original question?)
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(August 4, 2014 at 4:12 pm)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: Isn't this basically the same thread as that other one in which Holden Caulfield--I mean Mozart Link--whines and moans about how life can't everyday be to us what Christmas morning is to a five-year-old?

What's the point of all this again? (Or was that the original question?)

To be honest as soon as I saw this thread I was about to link the same "What the fuck am I reading" picture that I responded with in the other thread, but I assumed I was missing something.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
I don't know quite what to make of this. Personally, I wouldn't equate emotional well-being with pleasure. The former would include satisfaction, contentment, achievement of targets, the regard of others, and such things. Pleasure seems to be such a lonely thing, self-gratification mostly. Maybe you could summarise the difference by comparing making love with someone to masterbation.

As Cross says, small kindnesses are important, and so, for example, is the opportunity to help people in their careers, which I've been fortunate to be able to do.

Spread the love.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question How do you prove to everybody including yourself you're an atheist? Walter99 48 5600 March 23, 2021 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  What is wrong with theistic beliefs? Whateverist 65 7049 November 30, 2018 at 5:04 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Argument from "You did it wrong" zipperpull 13 1964 May 23, 2018 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Using the word "believe" wrong... maestroanth 8 2049 June 25, 2016 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: SteveII
  Can't prove the supernatural God maestroanth 235 22120 June 4, 2016 at 11:38 am
Last Post: SilverFrog
  My siblings are agnostic, should I try discussing atheism with them? CindyBaker 17 3650 April 18, 2016 at 9:27 am
Last Post: LostLocke
  How to respond to "prove God doesn't exist" Help? dragonman73 11 3037 April 8, 2016 at 4:12 am
Last Post: robvalue
  "Prove to me god doesn't exist" TanithDaUnicorn 67 9305 March 6, 2016 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  A Challenge to You All: Prove I'm not God FebruaryOfReason 40 6243 February 21, 2016 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: FebruaryOfReason
  Responding to "Homosexuality is wrong, the same way incest is wrong" JewishAthiest 106 25468 February 9, 2016 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: robvalue