Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using the word "believe" wrong...
Using the word "believe" wrong...
I just wonder if people feel as I do about this. Usually when I talk to people about religion/science, they throw the word believe around haphazardly. I.e. "I believe in x because of y" without giving sincere thought about the word "believe". And how this y-variable should have a great impact on whether you're using the word correctly.... (And usually with most morons out there, this y-variable consists of very subjective things either thrusted onto them by social groups, indoctrination, or my favorite pet peeve, because "they want to")

To me, this greatly undermines the integrity that this word should represent. Wanting to believe something is true because you'd like it to be true has no bearing on it actually being true! To sincerely believe in something, as how I feel this word should be explicitly used, the reasoning has to be completely independent of one's motivations and dependent on objective observations that many people can experience with the senses and derive the same conclusions if they're all rational....(ya, a big IF, lol)

Otherwise, when people say I believe in "Jesus" or Wicca or astrology or superstitions, etc., they should really consider replacing the word "believe" (because it's an incorrect usage of the word) with the phrase, "I would like for x to be true because I think Jesus is great". - Doesn't that make much better sense than saying like, " I believe in Jesus as truth because I think he's great"? I mean with the latter, that reason makes no fricken sense; while with the former, that statement doesn't require that reason to make sense.

I ranted this because to me, the word ought to imply a sense of reality to it. And if you cannot meet that demand for reality, then you need to find or invent a different word for what you're trying to express. A correct usage of this word could potentially eliminate much conflict in this world......
[Image: tumblr_nvrbfbDXgM1u0bifgo1_400.jpg]
RE: Using the word "believe" wrong...
It's especially apparent when people try and claim that belief is a choice. Such people don't know the difference between a belief and a professed belief.

It's often hard for me to tell whether someone really believes something, or just wants it to be true.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
And oh man, it's a huge turnoff when I date a girl and we talk beliefs and she tells me "I like to believe in Wiccan because I like how their principles are...and it makes me happy. .Yarra...yadda....." and then she asks me what I "believe" in and when I respond, "the holographic principle", that usually stops the date dead right there.

(Also, I'd have to show her susskind lectures on black holes and how that theory naturally evolved from them to explain my reasons, but that's besides the point, lol)
[Image: tumblr_nvrbfbDXgM1u0bifgo1_400.jpg]
Haha, remember this from the matrix? I forget the exact words but:

Morphine: Do you believe in fate?

Neon: No.

Morphine: Why not?

Neon: Because I don't like the idea that our future is decided for us.

Morphine: I know exactly what you mean.

Logic Nazi: Appeal to consequences fallacy.

Morphine: Which character are you even meant to be?
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
Xristards throw most words around haphazardly.

Comes with wasting too much time on that stupid fucking bible.
[Image: 161gdt.jpg]
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(June 18, 2016 at 2:03 am)robvalue Wrote: Haha, remember this from the matrix? I forget the exact words but:

Morphine: Do you believe in fate?

Neon: No.

Morphine: Why not?

Neon: Because I don't like the idea that our future is decided for us.

Morphine: I know exactly what you mean.

Logic Nazi: Appeal to consequences fallacy.

Morphine: Which character are you even meant to be?

"Neo".
It's an anagram of one, as in "how many good matrix films were there?"

Index of my best videos
(June 18, 2016 at 1:42 am)maestroanth Wrote: I just wonder if people feel as I do about this.  Usually when I talk to people about religion/science, they throw the word believe around haphazardly. I.e. "I believe in x because of y" without giving sincere thought about the word "believe". And how this y-variable should have a great impact on whether you're using the word correctly.... (And usually with most morons out there, this y-variable consists of very subjective things either thrusted onto them by social groups, indoctrination, or my favorite pet peeve, because "they want to")

To me, this greatly undermines the integrity that this word should represent. Wanting to believe something is true because you'd like it to be true has no bearing on it actually being true!   To sincerely believe in something, as how I feel this word should be explicitly used, the reasoning has to be completely independent of one's motivations and dependent on objective observations that many people can experience with the senses and derive the same conclusions if they're all rational....(ya,  a big IF, lol)

Otherwise, when people say I believe in "Jesus" or Wicca or astrology or superstitions, etc., they should really consider replacing the word "believe" (because it's an incorrect usage of the word) with the phrase, "I would like for x to be true because I think Jesus is great". - Doesn't that make much better sense than saying like, " I believe in Jesus as truth because I think he's great"? I mean with the latter, that reason makes no fricken sense; while with the former, that statement doesn't require that reason to make sense.

I ranted this because to me, the word ought to imply a sense of reality to it. And if you cannot meet that demand for reality, then you need to find or invent a different word for what you're trying to express. A correct usage of this word could potentially eliminate much conflict in this world......

You are confusing belief that a statement is true with its truth value. You can believe something is true when it is false. Conversely, you can believe something false that is true or even believe something is true for the wrong reasons (in which you would have a false belief). We already have a perfectly good word for what you are describing: knowledge-where belief overlaps truth.

Therefore the statement "I believe in Jesus" is 100% correct usage of the word 'believe' as is "I believe Jesus rose from the dead". You could then argue that the belief is a false belief, but it is a belief nevertheless.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is wrong with theistic beliefs? Whateverist 65 7050 November 30, 2018 at 5:04 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Using the word Spiritual Bahana 44 3660 October 4, 2018 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Lek
  Argument from "You did it wrong" zipperpull 13 1964 May 23, 2018 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  How to argue using bullshit abstract terms I_am_not_mafia 23 6064 March 20, 2018 at 9:06 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  A problem with the word "atheist" Alexmahone 144 20367 February 8, 2018 at 9:40 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Muslims are using this NASA video as proof that islam is true and that allah exists LetThereBeNoGod 10 3968 February 16, 2017 at 9:32 pm
Last Post: LetThereBeNoGod
  Christians are using this real nasa picture with a cross as proof of christianity... LetThereBeNoGod 31 4156 January 20, 2017 at 7:55 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Are the churches using atheists to gain more converts? madog 46 7365 June 21, 2016 at 4:38 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Responding to "Homosexuality is wrong, the same way incest is wrong" JewishAthiest 106 25468 February 9, 2016 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  how do we as atheists feel about companies using customers to donate money? Yoplait 29 5229 June 10, 2015 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Brian37