Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 27, 2024, 7:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religious Tolerance
RE: Religious Tolerance
(August 28, 2014 at 9:07 pm)Polaris Wrote: How far are you willing to go to be legitimately be tolerant of the beliefs of other people (instead of trying to make a show of it as I suspect many of you do here)? Would you accommodate their needs, respect their beliefs, join in their ceremonies?
That seems pretty broad. I try to respect and accommodate anyone and everyone I deal with, to the extent that I consider it to be reasonable. I am not offended by most religious rituals or sensibilities, though I find that many religious people are put off by those of other religions or denominations. But even so, they are likely to be respectful as long as they don't feel that any boundaries are being crossed (such as being asked to take part in a prayer to a different god).

I think that people are more likely to be tolerant if they feel that they're outside of their comfort zone. The more of their friends or fellow believers are around, the less tolerant they are likely to feel towards others. Much the same as a sports fan will moderate his enthusiasm if he is in a crowd of supporters of a rival, but will be as loud and boisterous as possible when he's with a sympathetic crowd.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Other people's beliefs I tolerate.
Other people's beliefs being imparted on yet other people, like so often happens with children, make me cringe... but I recognize there's nothing I or anyone else can do about it.
Other people's beliefs impacting on my life make me mad. I no longer call those people religious... I call them delusional. They hate it. They can't refute it. They get offended. I get offended by their gullibility and delusionability(does this word exist?)
They want respect? They need to respect others, first!
Stop wearing medieval instruments of torture around your necks. Stop putting them on top of your buildings. Stop your stupid bells that toll every hour, and toll harder when it's time to attend your temple gatherings. I don't want to even know that those exist. Get out of our schools. Get out of our vocabulary: every time someone says "god willing, this will happen", I just reply "and if he (Portuguese doesn't really have an 'it') doesn't will it, then just work harder typo get it done", or "we kick his butt and do it anyway".
Get out of the billboards. Those are for advertising. Why would someone need to advertise a belief, if not to make money of it?

Think, people, think! It's not hard.

However, religion Is still the best opium of the masses (hmmmm, where have I heard this, before?), still the best psychologist. To replace it with something else requires a lot more applied psychology than is going into police style crowd control...
Many people can live without religion... some cannot, or require a substitute, but which?
(August 29, 2014 at 1:52 pm)PhiloTech Wrote: I do not tolerate religion, it is the most dumbest thing I have ever heard of. I do not tolerate violence, abuse, fear mongering, hatred and the way it corrupts the religious.
I have known of so few Christians whose behavior could be called ethical or "christ like". Religions like Christianity encourage hatred amongst it's followers or hypocrisy. The more truly religious you are the more horrible of a person you become but it all depends on the religion as well.

To tolerate a religion is to sit back and let it destroy all which is sacred to a human being. I show kindness where kindness is due and hatred where hatred is due. I am very LaVeyan in this way that is where it ends.

You do? Don't fucking lie.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
(August 29, 2014 at 11:28 pm)Polaris Wrote:
(August 29, 2014 at 1:52 pm)PhiloTech Wrote: I do not tolerate religion, it is the most dumbest thing I have ever heard of. I do not tolerate violence, abuse, fear mongering, hatred and the way it corrupts the religious.
I have known of so few Christians whose behavior could be called ethical or "christ like". Religions like Christianity encourage hatred amongst it's followers or hypocrisy. The more truly religious you are the more horrible of a person you become but it all depends on the religion as well.

To tolerate a religion is to sit back and let it destroy all which is sacred to a human being. I show kindness where kindness is due and hatred where hatred is due. I am very LaVeyan in this way that is where it ends.

You do? Don't fucking lie.

What are you babbling about idiot.
You just proved my point when I claimed theists tend to be morally inept Big Grin
Ut supra, ita inferius
[Image: 0c112e9da4d42c24a073c335a3e38de1_zpsezmp...g~original]
Uƚ ƨuqɿɒ, iƚɒ inʇɘɿiuƨ
(August 29, 2014 at 11:45 pm)PhiloTech Wrote:
(August 29, 2014 at 11:28 pm)Polaris Wrote: You do? Don't fucking lie.

What are you babbling about idiot.
You just proved my point when I claimed theists tend to be morally inept Big Grin

And you prove my point when I claim Americans are retarded.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
(August 29, 2014 at 11:51 pm)Polaris Wrote:
(August 29, 2014 at 11:45 pm)PhiloTech Wrote: What are you babbling about idiot.

Are you always an asshat, or is it just that time of the month for you right now?
(August 29, 2014 at 11:51 pm)Polaris Wrote:
(August 29, 2014 at 11:45 pm)PhiloTech Wrote: What are you babbling about idiot.

Who said I was an American? I seriously doubt you have the intellectual capacity to fill two cans with water
Ut supra, ita inferius
[Image: 0c112e9da4d42c24a073c335a3e38de1_zpsezmp...g~original]
Uƚ ƨuqɿɒ, iƚɒ inʇɘɿiuƨ
Quote:You do? Don't fucking lie.

Quote:And you prove my point when I claim Americans are retarded.

Matthew 7:1-3. And you call yourself a Christian.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
(August 30, 2014 at 3:54 am)PhiloTech Wrote: Who said I was an American? I seriously doubt you have the intellectual capacity to fill two cans with water

He has a serious chip on his shoulder about Americans for some reason. And he did the exact same thing to me, called me American, even refused to believe me after I told him I wasn't.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
lmao, Polaris has a woody for Americans.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An Interesting Article on Religious Tolerance AFTT47 3 884 June 25, 2018 at 4:00 am
Last Post: Aroura
  Religious moderates enable religious extremists worldslaziestbusker 82 34263 October 24, 2013 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Optimistic Mysanthrope
  Religious Tolerance Polaris 57 22914 September 6, 2012 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: jonb