Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 25, 2024, 4:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What if we're all wrong though?
RE: What if we're all wrong though?
(June 9, 2010 at 3:33 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: PR,

define:Capitonym works to find this:

Definitions of Capitonym on the Web:

•A capitonym is a word that changes its meaning (and sometimes pronunciation) when it is capitalized, and usually applies to capitalization due to proper nouns or eponyms. It is a portmanteau of the word capital with the suffix -onym. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitonym

•A word that changes sound and meaning when the case is changed; a case-sensitive word
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/capitonym

•capitonyms - A capitonym is a word that has a different meaning and may be pronounced differently in capitalized form. For example, "The Polish woman used polish on her nails."
teachertipstraining.suite101.com/article.cfm/linguistic_categories

•capitonyms - are identically spelled words that take on different menaing when capitalized;
twobenches.wordpress.com/tag/controlledvocabulary/

Rhizo
Thanx Rhizo. Any suggestion, knowing this, as to what tackattack might wanna suggest with this.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
(June 9, 2010 at 5:07 pm)Paul the Human Wrote: My mother told me that if 'God' made himself apparent, it would negate the necessity of 'Faith'. As if that makes any kind of sense at all.

Yeah, this is the kind of thing that the believers have to tell themselves so they can rationalize why this being never makes himself known.

But if this is true, why did this being materialize as a man and walk the Earth for three decades performing all sorts of miracles? Not to mention that he resurrected himself and bodily ascended up to heaven in front of witnesses! How is all this consistent with the belief that "God" doesn't appear to us because "it would negate the necessity of faith"?
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
(June 9, 2010 at 5:12 pm)Purple Rabbit Wrote: Thanx Rhizo. Any suggestion, knowing this, as to what tackattack might wanna suggest with this.

He said our love is not the same as God's Love (I'm paraphrasing). He is asserting that God's Love is different than our love and the difference is that God's Love begins with a capital letter. This adds some special woo woo noodly goodness that is somehow lacking in human love. I think you know what my opinion is of these sorts of "trancendental" declarations. Plrbt Tongue

I'm sure I am terribly off the mark and His Tackness willl come and explain how my truth is inferior to his Truth. Smile I like chocolate (no I don't mean orangutan), does anyone know where I can get some Chocolate, because that must be really nice unless it is at the beginning of a sentence, than it is simply adhering to the formating rules of English.

Rhizo
So defining god (I refuse the capital here, and now I even know why) with him amounts to introducing new undefined terms with high woo-woo factor. Well, the pile of dung the man is erecting is towering higher and higher.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
I think that if God is better than god than GOD would be three times more excellent!
(June 9, 2010 at 5:40 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: I think that if God is better than god than GOD would be three times more excellent!
you mean GOD is better still?
(June 9, 2010 at 5:44 pm)Purple Rabbit Wrote:
(June 9, 2010 at 5:40 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: I think that if God is better than god than GOD would be three times more excellent!
you mean GOD is better still?

YES! Big Grin
Sounds like the conversation is turning into a poo slinging fest adn that's very counterproductive, I'm not pontificating and shoveling crap or using words that have no definition or meaning. If you don't choose to see the other side of a situation feel free to drop out of the conversation, I'm simply answering questions to the best of my ability.

(June 9, 2010 at 8:46 am)Scented Nectar Wrote:

1- I agree completely that "Those traits have caused, and continue to cause, a lot of harm, misery, pain and suffering, both mental and physical. They are not at all good guides for human peace and happiness." I'm trying to explain that those are human characteristics that aren't descriptive of what God is, merely what people think he does. They also used to think that he causes lightning to fly from his arse, that's just as untrue. At the same time, a lot of Christian do believe he is awrathfull and merciless God and I combat that with scripturs in my Church and in my classes as much as I can.
2- I agree completely with "Evil is my opinion about a decision that another human makes when I think they should know full well that they are intentionally, and unnecessarily, harming others and not stopping themselves from doing it.". I also seldom use it as a noun and definately not as some malevolent entity. It's our perception of humans doing bad things to humans. I've tried to explain to you that Christians see God as an absolute, an originator. By definition he can only do what he does. Some of those things atttributed to him (incorrectly so far) are percieved by us as evil. Basically if the planet had a consciousness (It doesn't, to my knowledge, just an example), would it see a volcano as evil as we see it, what about letting some ants scurrying on it's surface that constantly destroy everything and each other flooded out of their homes?
3-It wasn't the number I had an issue with. I was trying to understand how our percetion of whether God is malevolent or good has anything to do with our concept of the omnimax principles other than omnibenevolence?

(June 9, 2010 at 9:45 am)Ramsin.Kh Wrote:

4-I don't believe pain is the absence of pleaseure or vice versa. They are independant physical responces
to stimuli and I believe one could be experienced without ever experiencing the other in theory. In actuial practice it's highly unlikely to ever happen that we don't experience both at some point in our lives, unles there is some kind of physical defect in the parts responsible for that.
5- Do I need to define selfish wants here? I'm not talking about meditation, mediation maybe. I was expressing the need to set aside your biases, hates and resentments and allowing for the possiblity that God exists. Softening your heart and getting to a null place emotionally is one of the prerequisites for finding faith. Without this step the faith is blind and counter productive, and doesn't allow you to see God's hand in your life.

(June 9, 2010 at 12:35 pm)Minimalist Wrote:

Did you mean redundant or impotent min, I'm not following. In fact the sentence you quoted doesn't reference attributes of God at all, merely attempts to correct the humanistic pesonification of a diety. It's about personal accountability from my perspective.

(June 9, 2010 at 1:48 pm)Purple Rabbit Wrote:

If you don't like the web slang capitonym (correctly defined by Rhizzo) then how about homonym further deliniated in common language with a capitol first letter.
6 (Ad.1)- Agreed.
7 -Yes atheists pick, Christians pick too. However, from my experience here specifically a lot of athesits deny the good and over emphasize the bad. Even the skeptics annotated Guide to the Bible has a section of Good things in the Bible. As to where in the Bible God is Love
Quote:1 John 4:8 (King James Version) 8He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.
I'm not parroting or making shit up, calm down.
8- God's Love is not a confabulation or meaningless it's defined also in the Bible, 1 Corintians 13 I believe. I also see it in the way we humans love just to a lesser degree. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. I'd love it if my Love for my wife were completely unconditional and everlasting for an eternity. If she gets pregnant by another man though I'm going to be pissed and not love her as much. Christians see God as an absolute value of this love, something to help us better our love towards each other.
9 (Ad.2)- Stop your ridiculous posturing. You wanted me to try and explain it, I'm trying to the best of my ability. If other Christians disagree, they're more than welcome to speak up, and give their own interpretation. I think it's pretty universal, IMO but I'm willing to get proven wrong. I understand that atheists are confused by a concept that they don't adhere to, understandably. Lots of theists also find it confusing. I don't know everything pr, and that still has no bearing on it's truth , But I know what God is to me. Gos is Love, guide and the creator.

(June 9, 2010 at 5:07 pm)Paul the Human Wrote:

10- Tell your mother that it only negates the need for blind faith.

(June 9, 2010 at 8:51 pm)Strongbad Wrote:

No need to remain silent, please feel free to participate. If my presence makes any1 uncomfortable I'll be happy to shut up.
11- Obviously, you're a materialst in the extreme sense. The softening of the heart is in
Ezekiel 11:19-21 (King James Version)

To sum it up it you need to take the resentment, divisivness, and hate out of your mouth. Act, and speak with love and compassion with your fellow man. Keep the laws of God that are written in your nature (and in the Bible) to be good and kind to one another and to respect your superiors and that will "soften" your heart. It's a metaphor against hatred. I hope I explained that well enough.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(June 9, 2010 at 7:51 am)tackattack Wrote: @mem- God isn't a happy vending machine. If your life is shitty, it's not because God's shitting on you, it's because you stepped in dog shit. Clean it off yourself get your life straight. How do I get God to guide me? If you can take a second away from your selfish wants, allow for the possibility that God can and will be a force that exists in your life, and soften your heart to God you might hear him knocking and then you just have to open the door [/end requested preaching]

I can remain silent no longer. I have heard christians use this term so many times that it is beginning to make me ill. How exactly does one “soften” ones “heart” to god? Is there some form of meditation that actually makes the heart (the muscle in your chest that pumps blood through your body) become soft, and when it softens, god can enter it? And then, when your heart is soft enough, does that give your ears some extra power to hear things (like knocking sounds) that they otherwise would not? Or is this actually a euphemism for letting your brain accept the delusion that god is real?
"If there are gaps they are in our knowledge, not in things themselves." Chapman Cohen

"Shit-apples don't fall far from the shit-tree, Randy." Mr. Lahey
Tack, omnibenevolence is the important one here if you believe that your god is capital-L Love, and that evil things are done by humans only, while god does only good.

The truth is, that all things we think of as being good or evil, have nothing to do with any gods at all. Religions, with their credit-giving of worship and praise to someone else instead of the human that deserves the credit makes me sad. I see believers constantly basking in second-hand glory instead of feeling fully proud of themselves for whatever it is that makes them feel like a good person.
I'm really shitty at giving kudos and rep. That's because I would be inconsistent in remembering to do them, and also I don't really want it to show if any favouritism is happening. Even worse would be inconsistencies causing false favouritisms to show. So, fuck it. Just assume that I've given you some good rep and a number of kudos, and everyone should be happy...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is wrong with theistic beliefs? Whateverist 65 7187 November 30, 2018 at 5:04 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Argument from "You did it wrong" zipperpull 13 2041 May 23, 2018 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Using the word "believe" wrong... maestroanth 8 2079 June 25, 2016 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: SteveII
  Responding to "Homosexuality is wrong, the same way incest is wrong" JewishAthiest 106 26045 February 9, 2016 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Please correct me where I am wrong Won2blv 35 6880 May 21, 2015 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Atheists only vote please: Do absolute MORAL truths exist? Is Rape ALWAYS "wrong"? Tsun Tsu 326 67554 February 25, 2015 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Argument of first world problems - WRONG! Dystopia 28 8045 January 18, 2015 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  [Video] What if I'm wrong about a intelligent designer? Secular Atheist 1 1215 September 28, 2014 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: ShaMan
  Try and prove me wrong on this... Mozart Link 78 13301 August 7, 2014 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  "Science does not offer one guidance for how to live" <---- WRONG. Mudhammam 13 3291 July 22, 2014 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: ignoramus