Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 28, 2024, 2:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The human brain is under a delusion that it is a mind
The human brain is under a delusion that it is a mind
The human brain is a physical object under a delusion that it is something more than a physical object -- a mind, that exists outside the realm of the physical.

An atheist's task is to convince the human brain that it is nothing more than a biological machine, which operates with neurons and chemicals, rather than gears and levers.

Once that task is complete, we can abandon all belief in the soul, the spiritual world, and the afterlife.

Discuss.
RE: The human brain is under a delusion that it is a mind
(September 24, 2014 at 5:08 pm)Blackrook Wrote: The human brain is a physical object under a delusion that it is something more than a physical object -- a mind, that exists outside the realm of the physical.

An atheist's task is to convince the human brain that it is nothing more than a biological machine, which operates with neurons and chemicals, rather than gears and levers.

Once that task is complete, we can abandon all belief in the soul, the spiritual world, and the afterlife.

Discuss.

You're conflating two issues.

Atheism is the lack of a belief in any god or gods. Nothing more.

My wife is an atheist who believes in ghosts and an afterlife.
I am a deist who believes we live in a strictly natural universe and I don't have any believe in an afterlife.
These are two separate issues.

Then we move on to the "task" part of your thread.

Atheists don't have a "task". Atheism is simply a word for what you lack a believe in. There is no assigned task.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(September 24, 2014 at 5:08 pm)Blackrook Wrote: The human brain is a physical object under a delusion that it is something more than a physical object -- a mind, that exists outside the realm of the physical.

Discuss.
Nope. I'm not under the delusion that my soul exists outside of the "gears and levers" of my "biological machine." The soul is the illusion that these experiences resulting from physical interactions between "neurons and chemicals" and external objects are contained within a unity of apprehension (mind) that is divisible from the multiple simultaneous functions of the brain.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
If you mess around with the brain, you can completely change a person's personality, their memories, and pretty much everything that makes them an individual. You don't remain you if something happens to your brain, so there is no you outside your brain that keeps your whole persona from changing when someone tweeks it. Is that enough to prove there is no soul?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(September 24, 2014 at 5:34 pm)Chad32 Wrote: If you mess around with the brain, you can completely change a person's personality, their memories, and pretty much everything that makes them an individual. You don't remain you if something happens to your brain, so there is no you outside your brain that keeps your whole persona from changing when someone tweeks it. Is that enough to prove there is no soul?

Exactly.

Given the effects on the brain of everything from LSD, alcohol, the electromagnetic "God Helmet" to Alzheimer's , all causing direct physical/chemical changes in the brain, it is obvious our "being" is the result of those same chemical processes in the brain.

How it all works is vastly complex, but there is no reason to think anything other than physical processes are involved.
Perhaps you're under the delusion that a -mind- is something more than a physical object?

Quote:An atheist's task is to convince the human brain that it is nothing more than a biological machine, which operates with neurons and chemicals, rather than gears and levers.
Well.....that -is- how our brains operate....so I don't know that it would require much effort in the convincing dept, and?

Quote:Once that task is complete, we can abandon all belief in the soul, the spiritual world, and the afterlife.
I never held any of those beliefs in the first place, it would be categorically impossible for me to abandon them. But does any of that actually follow anyway? So what if the brain were nothing more than a physical object, a machine - neurons and chemicals...what does any of that have to do with a soul, a spiritual world, or an afterlife, even more specifically, what does any of that have to do with belief in those things?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Religions go a long way into imposing wishful thinking and mindless obedience on the followers, so soul and afterlife are natural weapons for religions to "judge" and recruit people seeking some kind of comfort in their theological views.
What exactly was the point of the OP?
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
He believes that souls exist, and believes we as atheists need to prove they don't?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Or, the mind is a process arising from a specific arrangement of matter. Don't get hooked into the object/nonexistent dichotomy that spiritualists so often do: things can also be attributes of other things.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  the atheist delusion(who started it or that notion?) Quill01 2 595 July 25, 2022 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Poll: 0.0% of Icelanders Under 25 Believe God Created The World blue grey brain 37 6890 January 24, 2019 at 6:30 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Dawkins writing kid's version of "The God Delusion" - you mad bro? Foxaèr 35 5893 August 2, 2018 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Ok Atheists! I have God Delusion! Catholic_Lady 54 10462 April 14, 2018 at 8:04 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  brainwashing & mind control techniques purplepurpose 6 1769 November 24, 2017 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Changing ones mind about a subject Sal 23 2797 November 21, 2017 at 11:52 am
Last Post: Shell B
  Thought on this video about "Atheist delusion"? Macoleco 3 1348 October 30, 2017 at 8:56 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Study finds link between brain damage and fundamentalism drfuzzy 13 4234 May 16, 2017 at 3:46 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Religion is fluff but the Doctrines are solid. Keep mind open. RonaldMcRaygun 12 2425 March 31, 2017 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  What would change your mind? hyperchord24 117 21174 March 28, 2017 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Cyberman