Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 22, 2024, 6:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you tolerate religious people?
How do you tolerate religious people?
How can anyone here think of Christians as people just like you and me? We all operate under pretty much the same formula. I just feel like talking to a Christian is like talking to a confused elderly person. It's sad to me how people can be so confused and fucked in the head. I would feel sorry for them, if it weren't for the fact that sometimes they try to make my life hell with their mockery and intolerance. It's hard not to be intolerant of them when they don't extend the same grace. I guess I have just become conditioned to have a negative reaction to Christians because it's become somewhat of an impulse. I know that whenever I engage with a Christian that what's inside their heads are going to be totally fucked and trying to maintain any sort of meaningful conversation with them will mean pussyfooting around their logical pitfalls. I just don't have the patience for it.
RE: How do you tolerate religious people?
(October 21, 2014 at 10:29 pm)MusicLovingAtheist Wrote: How can anyone here think of Christians as people just like you and me?

Well, for a start, not everyone thinks like you. Christians are friendly and fun loving people too but the sad part is that many religionist label them otherwise because they do not agree with their non-beliefs. Life is so boring when you do not believe in anything.
(October 21, 2014 at 10:35 pm)Christian Wrote:
(October 21, 2014 at 10:29 pm)MusicLovingAtheist Wrote: How can anyone here think of Christians as people just like you and me?

Well, for a start, not everyone thinks like you. Christians are friendly and fun loving people too but the sad part is that many religionist label them otherwise because they do not agree with their non-beliefs. Life is so boring when you do not believe in anything.

"Life is so boring when you don't believe in anything"

You come to that logical conclusion when the basis for that conclusion would involve knowing what it's like to not believe in god in the first place. Second of all you insult the lifestyle of an atheist by saying that my life is boring just because I don't believe in your fairy tale. I can believe in stuff. I believe that there's plenty of people like you who say stupid stuff like this and there's people out there who can cut through the bullshit. I believe in non religious people, so that gives me something.
Truth be told....I don't tolerate them very well.

Perhaps you've noticed?

Big Grin
I get alone with Christians perfectly fine, as long as they keep their religion to themselves.
Religious people are people exactly like us, sometimes they can be a better person than you or me in some aspects. What we don't tolerate is the ignorance due to religion, because we CARE about the person.

Keep an open mind and understand that you are not correct in everything you say or do and you can appear just as ignorant and annoying to someone else too. It might be hard to understand, but religious people are also tolerating us, and from their perspective we are the ignorant ones.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

I tolerate religious people by being one!

Actually... I don't tolerate them well at all. So many of them follow their faith blindly and stupidly without thinking about the implications of what they say or looking for what God thinks is right... it disgusts me. There are two different "political christianity" faiths going around and both of them are stupid.
(October 21, 2014 at 11:57 pm)Aoi Magi Wrote: Religious people are people exactly like us, sometimes they can be a better person than you or me in some aspects. What we don't tolerate is the ignorance due to religion, because we CARE about the person.

Keep an open mind and understand that you are not correct in everything you say or do and you can appear just as ignorant and annoying to someone else too. It might be hard to understand, but religious people are also tolerating us, and from their perspective we are the ignorant ones.

Yeah, I know that. I just don't see how to deal with a religious person. It's like trying to push two magnets together.
Back when I talked to friends...the ones I had were religious. They're still my friends and we still chat, but they all hang out without me now. Spending time with people is very difficult for me. It's not because I don't like people. I just struggle with PTSD and it's so hard to be around people. Anyways though, Sarah is Jewish, Ronya is Muslim, and Lindsey is Christian. We would hang out, watch movies, talk about life (men, children, school etc.). We all got along quite well. I don't feel like I tolerated them so much as that I enjoyed them. They're all three great people I don't really see what their religion has to do with it.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(October 22, 2014 at 12:20 am)MusicLovingAtheist Wrote: Yeah, I know that. I just don't see how to deal with a religious person. It's like trying to push two magnets together.
Turn off your own "magnetism" for a bit.

I have many religious friends, and most of the time we keep religion out of our discussions. If it does come up, I just take it as amusing ignorance similar to talking with a young child...
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 2485 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  I like to treat religious people nice. Jeezypete 27 4989 February 6, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Any other atheists just feel an acute intolerance for religious people? WisdomOfTheTrees 93 16336 February 10, 2017 at 3:35 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  The reason why religious people think we eat babies rado84 59 7559 December 3, 2016 at 2:13 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Your experiences dating religious people Casca 28 5078 October 31, 2016 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Has anyone discovered a successful way to make religious people atheist? Phosphorescent Panties 83 15851 April 12, 2016 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  wHY dO wE tOLERATE uGLINESS? Rhondazvous 42 5872 January 29, 2016 at 9:54 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What you see when you win a religious debate... x3 IanHulett 15 5528 October 20, 2015 at 7:45 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Religious bumper stickers and other annoying religious actions. (rant, sorta) DIRTY_DEEDS_93 53 13756 May 25, 2015 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  Do you argue with religious people? TruthWorthy 54 9113 April 25, 2015 at 3:37 am
Last Post: Razzle