Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I like to treat religious people nice.
I like to treat religious people nice.
Whenever a religious debate begins to happen (something I fervently try to avoid) I tend to act with empathy and compassion. I ask them to explain how god (or gods) have helped them. What void they fill or what obstacle they help them overcome. I never ask for them to defend themselves or debate logic. It’s always been my view that religion has never been about a debate of logic, but a debate of survival. People have religion often because it helps them get by either it be work or relationships. Using logic to debate with a religious person often doesn’t work because their arguments are not based on it, but rather a primal need to get by. When cornered about why I generally don’t subcribe to a religion (it happens from time to time) I simply say that “it’s ok to not know, and it’s ok to be afraid.” I then proceed to tell them this is what I tell myself when faced with the infinite black that stares back at all of us from time to time and it helps me get by. I try to be honest, friendly, and forgiving. I don’t succeed all time but it’s made my voyage through life a whole lot better.
RE: I like to treat religious people nice.
That’s good Smile
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
I try and treat everyone with kindness until they give me a reason not to.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(February 4, 2018 at 12:48 am)Jeezypete Wrote: Whenever a religious debate begins to happen (something I fervently try to avoid) I tend to act with empathy and compassion. I ask them to explain how god (or gods) have helped them. What void they fill or what obstacle they help them overcome. I never ask for them to defend themselves or debate logic. It’s always been my view that religion has never been about a debate of logic, but a debate of survival. People have religion often because it helps them get by either it be work or relationships. Using logic to debate with a religious person often doesn’t work because their arguments are not based on it, but rather a primal need to get by. When cornered about why I generally don’t subcribe to a religion (it happens from time to time) I simply say that “it’s ok to not know, and it’s ok to be afraid.” I then proceed to tell them this is what I tell myself when faced with the infinite black that stares back at all of us from time to time and it helps me get by. I try to be honest, friendly, and forgiving. I don’t succeed all time but it’s made my voyage through life a whole lot better.

You are a part of what I would call atheists2.0.

When the internet was new and we had this debate on the old usenet, it was a debate of facts and logic. We atheists took smug satisfaction that we could slaughter the theists on that stage. It helped solidify the convictions of many atheists but did little to help sway the theists.

Later, we figured out that the theists had brains that were wired differently than our's were. Logical arguments didn't work to sway them. They were more swayed by emotion than logic.

Later, it came to light that we are ALL hard-wired to favor emotion over logic. We atheists are not necessarily smarter and more logical than theists. We favor the scientific method but that is in itself an emotional bias. We don't embrace it because we are smart but because it appeals to us emotionally.

There can be little debate that the scientific method has proven itself to be the best indicator of what is objectively real. I think we have a definite edge over theists there. But it's more complicated than comparing facts and logic. The human equation makes it more complicated. We are all limited by our human physiology. None of us are capable of performing as the fictional Vulcans of Star Trek. Our physiology precludes that. Every input we receive from the outside universe goes through an emotional filter before it ever reaches the analytical portion of our brain. We are incapable as individuals of being truly objective.

But the scientific method corrects for this. Peer review is a powerful thing because my emotional bias is not necessarily the same as your emotional bias. Where I may err because of emotional bias, another may expose my error because he/she is not susceptible to that same bias. As I said, I think we have an edge over theists because of this system. But yeah, we shouldn't be judgemental because our own science demonstrates we are all flawed.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
I treat religious people like religious people, with a healthy dose of skepticism.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(February 4, 2018 at 12:48 am)Jeezypete Wrote: ...
I try to be honest, friendly, and forgiving.

Yabut! Where's the fun in that?

Angel
The PURPOSE of life is to replicate our DNA ................. (from Darwin)
The MEANING of life is the experience of living ... (from Frank Herbert)
The VALUE of life is the legacy we leave behind ..... (from observation)
I try to be friendly too, but have you met some of the theists here?

Obviously, intellectual honesty is not something I struggle with as an atheist. I am always open to correction based on evidence or better logic.
[Image: polar%20bear%20Cameraman%27s%2Bface-to-f...2Bbear.jpg]
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
When the religious tell you that you'll be tortured for all eternity by their loving celestial dictator if you don't believe like they do, it makes it hard to be nice.
(February 4, 2018 at 8:45 am)Grandizer Wrote: I try to be friendly too, but have you met some of the theists here?

Obviously, intellectual honesty is not something I struggle with as an atheist. I am always open to correction based on evidence or better logic.

I think we have a special brand of theist here, a brand I don't meet in my day to day interactions. Most I meet only want to talk about god for about an hour a week. I don't hang with them for that hour.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1946 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  The Nice Thing About Being An Atheist JackRussell 83 27696 July 21, 2017 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Any other atheists just feel an acute intolerance for religious people? WisdomOfTheTrees 93 14334 February 10, 2017 at 3:35 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  The reason why religious people think we eat babies rado84 59 6708 December 3, 2016 at 2:13 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Your experiences dating religious people Casca 28 4433 October 31, 2016 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Has anyone discovered a successful way to make religious people atheist? Phosphorescent Panties 83 14307 April 12, 2016 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Religious bumper stickers and other annoying religious actions. (rant, sorta) DIRTY_DEEDS_93 53 12769 May 25, 2015 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  Do you argue with religious people? TruthWorthy 54 8302 April 25, 2015 at 3:37 am
Last Post: Razzle
  I'm beginning to hate religious people. Grissa Ost Drauka 86 42667 March 28, 2015 at 9:08 am
Last Post: Nope
  Rant Mode. Some Religious People Are Really Good. Mudhammam 10 2332 March 17, 2015 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless