Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 30, 2024, 2:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MERGED: The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ (Part 1) & (Part 2)
RE: The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ (Part 1)
(November 25, 2014 at 2:10 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote:
(November 25, 2014 at 2:04 pm)His_Majesty Wrote: The vast majority of historians, some who aren't friendly to Christianity at all, is willing to accept the sources that I provided as historical evidence that Jesus the man existed...the vast majority, and there are many out there.

You just keep repeating that over and over as if it's evidence for your point. You already agreed that the fact that a number of historians agree does not make it true, so stop using that statement as if it does.

Well, if included in that majority are individuals that are not Christians, I would think that would make there interpretations of the evidence legitmate...I know how you people like to say "those sources were by people that already believed in Christianity"....no, that isn't the case here. Notice when I say ''majority", I also point out that some are non-Christian as well.

The vast majority of all historians apply some historical methodology...the same methodology that they apply to any other historical person/historical claim in history, and they draw the conclusion that Jesus "the man", existed.

Point blank, period.
Nope, sorry. Nobody here cares how many time you repeat it. The evidence you've provided has been so thoroughly trashed that it's no wonder you keep saying the same thing over and over.

Point blank, period? Wtf?
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(November 25, 2014 at 3:58 pm)His_Majesty Wrote: The vast majority of all historians apply some historical methodology...the same methodology that they apply to any other historical person/historical claim in history, and they draw the conclusion that Jesus "the man", existed.

What's the evidence that convinces them?

More importantly, if we're talking about more than "some guy named Yehsua who was a religious leader of some kind", what, if anything, can we know about Jesus?
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(November 25, 2014 at 3:58 pm)His_Majesty Wrote: Well, if included in that majority are individuals that are not Christians, I would think that would make there interpretations of the evidence legitmate...I know how you people like to say "those sources were by people that already believed in Christianity"....no, that isn't the case here. Notice when I say ''majority", I also point out that some are non-Christian as well.

The vast majority of all historians apply some historical methodology...the same methodology that they apply to any other historical person/historical claim in history, and they draw the conclusion that Jesus "the man", existed.

Point blank, period.

If I were partial to making the exact same deflectionary arguments you do, I would here dismiss your entire case, scoffing that you don't have a solution to the problem of your god's life coming from non-life, and therefore all the things you say about his supposed son are irrelevant and necessarily untrue until you come up with that solution. After all, how can we accept your answers here when you haven't dealt with the very basis of your god?

Of course, I'm not making that claim because I'm not a dishonest moron seeking to delay the conversation until my opponent gets bored so I can claim an unearned victory. I just think it's interesting that a good majority of the arguments you've used since coming here also apply to you yourself. But then, we already know and understand your entire position rests on a deep well of hypocrisy that you will never acknowledge, and may not even understand exists. Angel
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(November 25, 2014 at 3:58 pm)His_Majesty Wrote:
(November 25, 2014 at 2:10 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: You just keep repeating that over and over as if it's evidence for your point. You already agreed that the fact that a number of historians agree does not make it true, so stop using that statement as if it does.

Well, if included in that majority are individuals that are not Christians, I would think that would make there interpretations of the evidence legitmate...I know how you people like to say "those sources were by people that already believed in Christianity"....no, that isn't the case here. Notice when I say ''majority", I also point out that some are non-Christian as well.

Point blank, period.

You began with the evidence on which historians must rely one way or the other and there isn't much of it. Reasonable minds can be unconvinced. And indeed there are historians who remain unconvinced.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
When do we get to zombie Jesus? And exactly how many brains did he eat?
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
(November 25, 2014 at 4:11 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: When do we get to zombie Jesus? And exactly how many brains did he eat?

Zombie Jesus is already in the world - in spirit.

How many brains has he eaten? Billions. Just look at the antics of many of his followers . . .
Dying to live, living to die.
(November 25, 2014 at 4:12 pm)Beccs Wrote:
(November 25, 2014 at 4:11 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: When do we get to zombie Jesus? And exactly how many brains did he eat?

Zombie Jesus is already in the world - in spirit.

Aww... I was hoping my shotgun would see some action. Devil

Quote:How many brains has he eaten? Billions. Just look at the antics of many of his followers . . .

Big Grin
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
(November 25, 2014 at 3:53 pm)His_Majesty Wrote: Since when does the blind lead a person with 20/20 vision?

Again with the arrogance? Your xtian brethren and sistren must be very proud, having you as their ambassador.

(November 25, 2014 at 3:53 pm)His_Majesty Wrote: Dude, please. First off, if by "more", you mean the minority that don't believe? Well, there is still the majority that do believe. Apparently it is that compelling to that majority...so where you get this "or there'd be mroe historians who accept it" shit...I don't know.

I got that from you, actually. Even if 90% of historians believed in JC as an historical character, there would still be that 10% who didn't. Their objections still need to be evaluated, so we can determine why they don't accept it. It may be they have biases preventing their accepting the evidence, agendas to push. Or they may just have a point. But if you cut them out of the frame altogether without consideration, how are we ever to know?

This is all academic anyway, since - for the umpteenth time - we're not addressing a majority of evidence-believers, we're dealing with one guy on the internet talking about a majority. One guy, it has to be noted, with rather less than an unblemished track record pertaining to honesty and bias.

(November 25, 2014 at 3:53 pm)His_Majesty Wrote: But apparently you don't know the facts....so it would help if you actually knew what you were talking about...

Interesting choice of phrase. Are you still citing Josephus as reliable testimony, after you've been shown repeatedly why it's not?

(November 25, 2014 at 3:53 pm)His_Majesty Wrote: like where does the community within the field of history stand...and the majority are on my side.

Yet again, we only have your statement of that. I could say the majority of xtians are secretly scientologists, with just as much authority.

(November 25, 2014 at 3:53 pm)His_Majesty Wrote:
(November 25, 2014 at 1:56 pm)Stimbo Wrote: I'm not a historian

Noooo?

Yeah I know, I'm only one guy on an atheist forum who just happens to have a different view on this stuff to you. So?

(November 25, 2014 at 3:53 pm)His_Majesty Wrote:
(November 25, 2014 at 1:56 pm)Stimbo Wrote: but I am a reasonable man. I'll accept a good reason. I'll accept a bad reason. I'll accept any damn reason at all, only at least meet me halfway and give me something to get my teeth into.

I can do that...I just would like to talk on a different platform..an IM platform, where we can really get to the issue.

What would that achieve? Why can't you get to the issue right here?

(November 25, 2014 at 3:53 pm)His_Majesty Wrote: I predict you will reject the offer, though Thinking

That offer, yes. I don't do IM with anyone outside my personal circle. Now you may crow.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(November 25, 2014 at 4:17 pm)KevinM1 Wrote:
(November 25, 2014 at 4:12 pm)Beccs Wrote: Zombie Jesus is already in the world - in spirit.

Aww... I was hoping my shotgun would see some action. Devil

It still might. Keep it loaded with salt pellets and let's look for the body of Christ so we can salt and burn it.

Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  To Atheists: Who, in your opinion, was Jesus Christ? JJoseph 50 2351 January 9, 2024 at 4:28 am
Last Post: no one
  The power of Christ... zwanzig 60 4640 August 30, 2023 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Jesus Christ is the Beast 666 Satan Emerald_Eyes_Esoteric 36 8098 December 18, 2022 at 10:33 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Creating Christ JML 26 3247 September 29, 2022 at 9:40 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  So has Christ returned TheClearCleanStuff 31 3442 May 20, 2022 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  CHRIST THE KICKER…… BrianSoddingBoru4 15 1486 January 3, 2022 at 10:00 am
Last Post: brewer
  CHRIST THE KILLER..... ronedee 31 3555 December 26, 2021 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
Rainbow Why I believe in Jesus Christ Ai Somoto 20 2863 June 30, 2021 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  In what way is the Resurrection the best explanation? GrandizerII 159 16067 November 25, 2019 at 6:46 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Consecrated virgins: 'I got married to Christ' zebo-the-fat 11 2063 December 7, 2018 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: Angrboda