Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 4, 2024, 7:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MERGED: The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ (Part 1) & (Part 2)
RE: The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ (Part 1)
(December 1, 2014 at 5:59 pm)His_Majesty Wrote:
(December 1, 2014 at 12:37 pm)pocaracas Wrote: Paul met Peter, huh?

He sure did.
He says he met Cephas, a prominent member of the Jerusalem church, distinguished from "The Twelve" in his first letter to the church in Corinth and only mythologized in the Gospels and Acts later on. So, we know little about Cephas and his supposed relationship to "Lord Yahweh Saves Christ Lamb slain from the foundation of the world of Bethlehem and Nazareth, Nazarene son of Man, God, Joseph, and the Virgin Mary."
(December 1, 2014 at 12:37 pm)pocaracas Wrote: How would you know about that?

How do we know anything in history?
A multitude of reputable sources with varying interests AND disinterests and archaeology. How's Christianity do there? Not good.
(December 1, 2014 at 12:37 pm)pocaracas Wrote: Yes, the emperor and the local governor... both well placed hints to lend credence to the story... but does that make the story true?
It makes the story believable.
You're not very familiar with ancient literature, are you?
(December 1, 2014 at 12:37 pm)pocaracas Wrote: Says Paul.... do you have accounts from other people claiming to have spoken with Paul?

Do you have statements from George Washington listing the names of all of the people that spoke to him? No, you don't...so based on your shitty logic, everyone that claims to have met George Washington and spoke with him...if GW didn't name them in a list of names that he jotted down throughout his life, those people did not speak to him Big Grin

That kind of shitty logic works both ways.
That was a genuine comparison or an inadvertent example of how little data you have to base your entire life on the God-man-Son of God-spirit-Father versus the first President of the United States whose writings we have first hand including his contemporary friends and critics?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
H-M,

You keep suggesting we have as much reason to believe in Jesus as we do in George Washington.

So, I'm going to do a little thought experiment in which I adjust the evidence we have for George Washington to match what we have for Jesus. We'll set the stage by re-writing history so the English won the war in 1780 and we're still all living under British rule here in the U.S.

We have a collection of letters written to grange halls between 1810 and 1830 concerning why people should not be taxed without representation. Paul, the writer of these letters claims to have spoken with George Washington in a dream. Rather than talk to George's fellow patriots who were supposed to be living in Boston, Paul goes on a speaking tour through the deep south. According to his letters Paul speaks with George's brother and one of George's early converts four years later. But Paul still only talks about what George revealed to him in his dream. The letters refer to a doctrinal struggle between Paul and other supporters of George Washington.

The letters we have are copies of copies of copies. Some of them are obvious forgeries as they don't match the style of Paul's other letters. Others have obviously been tampered with.

Between 1830 and 1850 several biographies of George Washington are published anonymously. The biographies describe Washington's birth and a couple stories about his childhood. The biographies also talk about what Washington said. Unlike Paul, they quote Washington often and at length concerning a political philosophy that concerns many things in addition to taxation without representation. Three of the biographies are very much alike though they can't agree about the dates for important events in Washington's life. The fourth is quite different. All of them allude to crowds of people following Washington around while he give anti-British speeches. In all of the biographies George Washington is hung by the British for sedition sometime between 1778 and 1785. In one of the biographies American loyalists asked the British to hang him and an American governor was persuaded to do it. All of the biographies state that Washington survived the hanging and fled to Canada after appearing before large cheering crowds in Washington.

The author of the fourth biography also writes a book about how the followers of Washington spread out over the U.S. to preach the good news about democracy. That book includes much about Paul, though it appears to contradict Paul's letters in many places. It suggests that Paul and Washington's followers never had any political disagreements. Paul is shot by a firing squad for sedition.

In the 1890s three people mention in letters that there are followers of George in America who are being harassed for sedition. It's not clear from the letter who George is, but the people following him are sure he was hung.

About 1890 an American traitor living in London writes a history of the American Colonies in which he attributes the philosophy of John Locke to early American Colonists who taught it to the French. He portrays the Blue Ox Babe as a real ox. In a couple of lines towards the end he mentions that there was a great American philosopher named George who convinced the Americans and the French in no taxation without representation sometime in the late 1700s. Parts of these two sentences about George including the claim that he was hung are obviously forged.

From 1890 until about 1980 no one but George Washington seditionists studies George Washington, and what they study is not his life but his political sayings in the four biographies and Paul's letters.

All of these George Washington scholars agree that George existed. Do you?
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
The Library of Congress collection of George Washington's personal papers has a search feature.

Ole George used the phrase "creator" 177 times.

He used the term "Providence" a total of 359 times but many of those seem to refer to Providence, Rhode Island.

The phrase "Jesus Christ" appears once...and that in a letter from his grandfather, Lawrence Washington, in 1698.

Just saying........
(December 1, 2014 at 8:37 pm)Minimalist Wrote: The Library of Congress collection of George Washington's personal papers has a search feature.

Ole George used the phrase "creator" 177 times.

He used the term "Providence" a total of 359 times but many of those seem to refer to Providence, Rhode Island.

The phrase "Jesus Christ" appears once...and that in a letter from his grandfather, Lawrence Washington, in 1698.

Just saying........

Still, it would have been an infinite improvement upon the HM that blabs now to start to disbelieve both Washington and Jesus
(December 1, 2014 at 6:26 pm)pocaracas Wrote: Historical characters are not commonly claiming to be gods.
Unless you count pharaohs...

Um, so what? I am just talking about Jesus the man...not Jesus the God.

(December 1, 2014 at 6:26 pm)pocaracas Wrote: But, you know.... there is a gospel attributed to Peter... how about you tell me if he wrote down about his meeting with Paul? It would be rather significant, if he did, don't you think?
Also significant if he didn't...

No, I don't. I met my "girlfriend" former WNBA player Deanna Nolan (such a pretty thang)...I met her...and it was a great moment of my life...but guess what... I didn't write a damn book about it ROFLOL

(December 1, 2014 at 6:26 pm)pocaracas Wrote: That's how you like it! Tongue
You see, the claim of one person isn't really of that much worth.

Bullshit...because if I wanted to play the role of "super skeptic", I could say that all of the contemporary sources (people that made the claim) are lying. So no matter how many witnesses you give me, if my theory is that they were all lying, then your sources wouldn't mean to much of anything.

After all, you can't prove that they aren't lying...you simply accept by faith that they are all telling the truth...and unless you are calling Paul a flat out LIAR, then it shouldn't be so hard to accept the fact that Paul met Peter and James brother of Jesus, just like he said.

(December 1, 2014 at 6:26 pm)pocaracas Wrote: Many people in ancient times made claims... some are considered trustworthy, while others aren't. This trustworthiness is based on corroborating evidence... corroborating writings (as independent as possible), corroborating archeological findings, etc...

Right, and the corroborating evidence for Jesus is based on Jewish history, the origin of Christianity, the non-Christians sources I provided here, four Gospels, and the early Christian Church....and I didn't even mention Paul's epistles, since that is what is in question, but if you factor in that, you are making a case for the historical Jesus.

I mean hell, that is what historians are basing the case for Jesus on anyway.

(December 1, 2014 at 6:26 pm)pocaracas Wrote: For your case of Paul meeting Peter, do you have any such corroborating evidence?

No, just like no one would have any corroborating evidence of me meeting Deanna Nolan...either I am lying when I say I met her, or I am telling the truth, and I don't think Paul is lying...especially if he was already stating that he had been ordained by the Holy Spirit...if he was already chosen by God or if he BELIEVED he had been chosen by God, then why would he need Peter? He wouldn't, but since he was simply telling the story how it is, he mentioned it.

(December 1, 2014 at 6:26 pm)pocaracas Wrote: You may learn something from this...

Note that George actually sent letters to some people and signed them!
Not all, I grant that... it would be ludicrous to consider he would document all people he ever had contact with... but a few... it's to be expected!
And that's what we have.

Wait a minute, how do you know they are from him? Because that is what it says? Because that is what someone told you? So I can send a letter to myself and say that the rapper Lil Wayne sent it to me, right?

Why do you believe that GW actually wrote the letters? Were you there? Because it says he did?? ROFLOL

We can systematically deny anything now, can't we.

(December 1, 2014 at 6:26 pm)pocaracas Wrote: sad... sad....

Here is some advice; Never send mail to a nomad ROFLOL

(December 1, 2014 at 6:28 pm)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: He says he met Cephas, a prominent member of the Jerusalem church, distinguished from "The Twelve" in his first letter to the church in Corinth and only mythologized in the Gospels and Acts later on. So, we know little about Cephas and his supposed relationship to "Lord Yahweh Saves Christ Lamb slain from the foundation of the world of Bethlehem and Nazareth, Nazarene son of Man, God, Joseph, and the Virgin Mary."

Somebody tell this guy that Cephas is the aramaiac equivilent to the name "Peter" ROFLOL

Whewwww ignorance.

(December 1, 2014 at 4:18 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Paul writes between 51 and 58 AD. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauline_epistles That is twenty to thirty years after the crucifixion is supposed to have happened.

Twenty to thirty is misleading...His earliest epistles can be said to have been written around 20 years after the cross, and the lastest is in the early 60's AD.

(December 1, 2014 at 4:18 pm)Jenny A Wrote: He does not claim to know what Jesus said in the flesh.

He knew about the Resurrection, tho. That is the main thing. He obviously knew about the Resurrection.

(December 1, 2014 at 4:18 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Instead he says,
Quote:But I make known to you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man. For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but it came through the revelation of Jesus Christ.
Having had that revelation he did not go to Jerusalem to talk with those who had actually seen Jesus. Instead, he preached in Arabia and Damascus. [quote]But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother’s womb and called me through His grace, 16 to reveal His Son in me, that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately confer with flesh and blood, 17 nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me; but I went to Arabia, and returned again to Damascus. Galatians 1:15-17

Only three years after that does he go to Jerusalem to meet with Peter and James.

Um, Jenny..regardless of when he went to meet Peter, the point is he WENT TO MEET PETER, who was a contemporary account to the life, death, and Resurrection of Jesus. That is the only point that I made in that regard, and you are giving scriptures as if that somehow contradicts what I said, that Peter met Paul and James...you said ALLLLL of that as if that was a defeater of what I said, only to, at the very end, CONFIRM what I said ROFLOL

[quote='Jenny A' pid='807818' dateline='1417465135']
Does it bother you that in his letters Paul claims only to have seen Jesus in a vision?

Um, no it doesn't, and I am not even sure that he was talking about the vision he experienced on the road to Damascus...it could have been two separate accounts, one vision, and one physical.

(December 1, 2014 at 4:18 pm)Jenny A Wrote: His account of the last supper is also visionary. If he knew of Jesus personally, or spoke to people who did why is it that he never alludes to any of the details of Jesus' life.

Because that is what the Gospels are for...you ever heard of "motive"..or "purpose" in writing?...his purpose wasn't to give an account of Jesus' life...we have four Gospels for that...Paul's purpose was to keep the early Church on track, and instruct Christians on how to live productive, Christ-like lives.

(December 1, 2014 at 4:18 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Nor does he ever speak of the teachings of Jesus.

Nothing that he said contradicts Jesus' teaching.

(December 1, 2014 at 4:18 pm)Jenny A Wrote: For Paul the death and resurrection are everything. His Jesus is unearthly being known only through revelation.

It doesn't matter whether it was earthly or divine relevation...if what he said happened ACTUALLY happened, then how does this not confirm Christianity.

(December 1, 2014 at 4:18 pm)Jenny A Wrote: But they aren't really historians are they? They are theologians and like the theologian archeologists likely to assume the truth of the Bible rather than test it as a real historian would.

Again, not all of them are theologicans...and I will ask you once more..IF the majority of all "scholars" were Christians...why would they go around saying "The majority of scholars believe that Jesus existed"...which would be the same as saying "The majority of us Christians believe that Jesus existed"....makes no sense.

(December 1, 2014 at 4:18 pm)Jenny A Wrote: If you cite him as authority, and you have, it's your problem. Rely on your own evidence and it isn't. But you don't want to rely on the evidence do you? You want to rely on the "vast majority historians."

I don't recall relying on him as a source..and if I did, please tell me where?

(December 1, 2014 at 4:18 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Because you rely on him and men like him. You have used him as authority. And he's part of that "vast majority" you keeping referring to.

So what if I based my case primarily on Bart Ehrmans work, who isn't a Christian? Then what will be the excuse?
What is significant is that is that within a year of Washington's death there were bullshit legends about him circulating, including the famed cherry-tree bullshit. There were still living members of his family at the time as well as friends, former soldiers, acquaintances, and enemies around but still this story gained traction?

How much easier to create bullshit stories about jebus-the-never-was?

You can have the last word, for now. Right now, I have bigger fish to fry.
We can only hope.

[Image: shark-attack-survive-how-3.jpg]
(December 1, 2014 at 10:23 pm)His_Majesty Wrote: You can have the last word, for now. Right now, I have bigger fish to fry.

It's okay, you can run. You don't need to pretend that you'll come back later. It's pretty clear you never had anything worth saying to begin with, and your habit of completely dropping subjects and people you can't handle has been well noticed by everyone else. Angel

Quote:Wait a minute, how do you know they are from him? Because that is what it says? Because that is what someone told you? So I can send a letter to myself and say that the rapper Lil Wayne sent it to me, right?

Why do you believe that GW actually wrote the letters? Were you there? Because it says he did?? ROFLOL

We can systematically deny anything now, can't we.

I'm literally amazed that nobody has reported you for violation of rule one for continuing with this repetitive, strawmanning crap yet. Dodgy
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

"You can have the last word, for now. Right now, I have bigger fish to fry."

About time you got back to frying fish.

and yes, I do want fries with that!

Playing Cluedo with my mum while I was at Uni:

"You did WHAT?  With WHO?  WHERE???"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  To Atheists: Who, in your opinion, was Jesus Christ? JJoseph 52 2754 June 12, 2024 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The power of Christ... zwanzig 60 4882 August 30, 2023 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Jesus Christ is the Beast 666 Satan Emerald_Eyes_Esoteric 36 8297 December 18, 2022 at 10:33 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Creating Christ JML 26 3411 September 29, 2022 at 9:40 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  So has Christ returned TheClearCleanStuff 31 3524 May 20, 2022 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  CHRIST THE KICKER…… BrianSoddingBoru4 15 1526 January 3, 2022 at 10:00 am
Last Post: brewer
  CHRIST THE KILLER..... ronedee 31 3727 December 26, 2021 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
Rainbow Why I believe in Jesus Christ Ai Somoto 20 2939 June 30, 2021 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  In what way is the Resurrection the best explanation? GrandizerII 159 16918 November 25, 2019 at 6:46 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Consecrated virgins: 'I got married to Christ' zebo-the-fat 11 2134 December 7, 2018 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: Angrboda