Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 4:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eternal punishment is pointless.
RE: Eternal punishment is pointless.
Quote:Of course, if it is OK, where does one draw the line?
Depends on how old those lies are and how many people accept them.
(December 1, 2014 at 3:40 pm)Tonus Wrote: I assume he means "good" as in "perfect," or someone who has never sinned. You can be the model of human kindness and good behavior, but if you ever lied to your kid... you're not "good." Ever stole a pencil from work? You filthy sinner! Ever had an impure thought? What's that? ALL THE TIME??? Sinner, sinner, sinner!!! Hell awaits!

It may come as a surprise to christians, but my definition of good is not synonymous with perfect. I don't judge a candy store thief as being as evil as a serial killer. That's just stupid.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(December 1, 2014 at 4:34 pm)Chad32 Wrote:
(December 1, 2014 at 3:40 pm)Tonus Wrote: I assume he means "good" as in "perfect," or someone who has never sinned. You can be the model of human kindness and good behavior, but if you ever lied to your kid... you're not "good." Ever stole a pencil from work? You filthy sinner! Ever had an impure thought? What's that? ALL THE TIME??? Sinner, sinner, sinner!!! Hell awaits!

It may come as a surprise to christians, but my definition of good is not synonymous with perfect. I don't judge a candy store thief as being as evil as a serial killer. That's just stupid.

When Christians celebrate Christmas don't they realize they are sinning Thinking because i'm no Christian and i don't believe jesus was born on the 25th of December and that being said its a pagan holiday. so i guess everyone is going to hell then? Thinking
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Is there even a directive to selebrate Christmass in the Good Book at all? Thoug it seems that all in all the holiday doesn't contradict the Book. I don't know how apologists deal with it, but as long as Christians don't selebrate it as a pagan holiday (not going into details here), they do not commit a sin in the most general case. So the holiday seems to be at least neutral to their scripture.
(December 1, 2014 at 4:56 pm)Smaug Wrote: Is there even a directive to selebrate Christmass in the Good Book at all?

No, they just dropped it on top of the old holidays hoping to crush them. Did the job too. Nobody celebrates Saturnalia anymore.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I'm not sure there's a verse to celebrate Jesus' birthday. You'd think there would be, if there's one where you a mandated day of rest every week on pain of death. But yes it's pretty common knowledge that Jesus' day of birth (if it was ever confirmed) was moved to the winter solstice in order to help convert people that celebrated at that time already. Not that they tell you that in sunday school.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(December 1, 2014 at 5:01 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Not that they tell you that in sunday school.

School's an euphemism there.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Quote:No, they just dropped it on top of the old holidays hoping to crush them. Did the job too. Nobody celebrates Saturnalia anymore.

As far as I remember, it was a recruitment move (not a bad move for those times to say frankly). By the way, when you look how may minor holidies there are ('saint' days) that replaced older pagan ones you start to wonder why Christianity is considered monotheistic. If you look at Orthodox Christians for example you may notice that many believers treat the saints exactly as pagans treated their deities (there seem to be patron saints for every natural phenomenon encountered in day-to-day life).
(November 30, 2014 at 8:20 pm)Lek Wrote: The problem is we can't keep from doing bad things to other people.

I don't agree in the slightest. We would never have civilized if we had no capacity to control our base instincts. I think we are not only capable of refraining from doing intentional ill to others, but we're slowly coming to understand that we shouldn't need some external incentive to be that way.

And, we didn't learn this from some holy book. In large part, we learned it because our more ignorant forebears so thoroughly shamed themselves with some of the things they did that many of the rest of us would never propose another Holocaust or the re-legalization of human slavery.

But, of course, we still have a lot of enlightening yet to do. There will be a future generation of humans that look back on the evils of unrestrained capitalism in much the same way we look back on the evils of chattel slavery, and wonder what kind of cavemen could possibly think that skin color is an important characteristic in a person.
(November 30, 2014 at 3:12 pm)Lek Wrote: His post attacked the character of christians and stated that that atheists didn't steal because they didn't want to be a "dick".

Oh? Where was this attack? In fact, where in the comic was the word "christian" even used? Thinking

I'll save you some time; it wasn't. And attacking the inefficacy of prayer, the strange moral position of asserting there wouldn't be any morals without the threat of hell, and the concept of religiously motivated wars, is not attacking the character of christians. Seems like you're projecting a bit there.

Quote: Since he's an atheist, he never steals.

Maybe, maybe not. I've never stolen anything, and I'm an atheist. The issue is that the reason an atheist might refrain from doing so doesn't include a constant threat hanging over our heads, which makes the act more moral in general.

Quote: Secondly, christians are required to make atonement to the one whom we've wronged.

But it doesn't matter if you do or don't, because the only forgiveness that matters in the end is god's, and you get that just by faith.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eternal bliss Cod 135 16782 September 6, 2018 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  Eternal Damnation Hungry Hungry Hippo 14 5088 August 15, 2015 at 4:39 am
Last Post: Hungry Hungry Hippo
Video Jesus Christ, A Pointless Sacrifice Mental Outlaw 16 4392 April 5, 2015 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  An eternal life is a worthless life. Lucanus 47 12576 December 24, 2014 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Why intelligent design "proofs" are pointless robvalue 27 6472 September 13, 2014 at 4:14 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  God is not the only eternal one ! (if he exist) reality.Mathematician 16 3480 June 19, 2014 at 3:06 am
Last Post: reality.Mathematician
  Hell is eternal life smax 14 4711 April 25, 2014 at 9:08 am
Last Post: JuliaL
  Humanity's Punishment: If it was a court case. bladevalant546 68 23166 September 4, 2013 at 3:33 am
Last Post: catfish
  My reasoning in rejecting eternal torture/hell... Mystic 75 22775 April 9, 2013 at 10:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Gods acts of punishment and miracles. Gooders1002 23 9475 November 13, 2012 at 4:34 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet