Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eternal Damnation
Eternal Damnation
I'm curious, what does the bible have to say on the subject of eternal damnation? How do Christians arrive at the conclusion that hell is real and eternal? What Bible passages do they look at? I'm especially interested in passages where Jesus talks about hell (besides Luke 13:28).

Thanks!
Proud member of the Evil Atheist Conspiracy! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
[Image: EvilAtheistConspiracy.jpg]
RE: Eternal Damnation
Well hell is fake and the bible is unreliable evidence for anything. So I wouldn't sweat over it too much if I were you.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
No, please answer my question. Thanks!
Proud member of the Evil Atheist Conspiracy! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
[Image: EvilAtheistConspiracy.jpg]
2 Thessalonians 1:

6 Seeing it is a righteous thing with God to recompense tribulation to them that trouble you;

7 And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,

8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

Jude 1:

7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

Revelation 14:

11 And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

Revelation 20:

10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.

12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Notice in particular that Revelation 20:10 explicitly affirms eternal torture.  Some of the other verses, about a fire burning eternally, are more ambiguous, though it would make no sense to speak of it burning eternally if people were thrown in and were consumed by the fire.  After all, if people simply came to an end, whether the fire continues afterward or not is completely unimportant, so why mention that it burns eternally?  Of course, with Revelation 20:10, the idea of eternal torture is explicit.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
God, as an infinite being, can be infinitely pissed off at any old particle of whatever he wants to.

And if you've pissed off god, whadda ya expect ?? He ain't gonna be showering you with money, jewels, fame, and orgasms on demand, no, not at all, he's going to see to it that your rectum is filled with cacti, sea urchins, and old rusty hepatitis infected razor blades. And that TORMENT will persist for TRILLIONS of years !!

And that's just the opening act.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

"Those who have the false lord satan behind them and not the LORD will feel a perpetual burning sensation" The Prolapses of David 69:
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Indeed
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(August 13, 2015 at 9:53 pm)Milleby Wrote: No, please answer my question. Thanks!

I'm sorry, but who the fuck are you to come here demanding answers from any of us?!?
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(August 13, 2015 at 9:57 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: 2 Thessalonians 1:

6 Seeing it is a righteous thing with God to recompense tribulation to them that trouble you;

7 And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,

8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

Jude 1:

7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

Revelation 14:

11 And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

Revelation 20:

10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.

12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Notice in particular that Revelation 20:10 explicitly affirms eternal torture.  Some of the other verses, about a fire burning eternally, are more ambiguous, though it would make no sense to speak of it burning eternally if people were thrown in and were consumed by the fire.  After all, if people simply came to an end, whether the fire continues afterward or not is completely unimportant, so why mention that it burns eternally?  Of course, with Revelation 20:10, the idea of eternal torture is explicit.
The Bible says that Sodom will be rebuilt to all of its former glory.  So maybe the guy who wrote Jude 1:7 never heard of that little gem or else maybe he's full of crap?  I know it's a big fairy tale but there needs to be some consistency in the fables, even though the Bible says not to believe in Jewish fairy tales.
I was gonna rebuild that town, but then I thought Sodom.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eternal bliss Cod 135 16119 September 6, 2018 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  An eternal life is a worthless life. Lucanus 47 12420 December 24, 2014 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Eternal punishment is pointless. Ryantology 497 59427 December 5, 2014 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Esquilax
  God is not the only eternal one ! (if he exist) reality.Mathematician 16 3438 June 19, 2014 at 3:06 am
Last Post: reality.Mathematician
  Hell is eternal life smax 14 4650 April 25, 2014 at 9:08 am
Last Post: JuliaL
  My reasoning in rejecting eternal torture/hell... Mystic 75 22092 April 9, 2013 at 10:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Thoughts on the "eternal consciousness" / "everything is energy" theories... hoppimike 8 4989 June 11, 2012 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: Adjusted Sanity
  eternal recurence darkblight 15 4949 August 23, 2011 at 10:39 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Is Ghandi goint to hell or eternal death Ervin 62 24682 March 8, 2011 at 3:53 pm
Last Post: reverendjeremiah
  Hell is eternal because God is infinite? RosieLass 26 10400 October 16, 2010 at 10:58 pm
Last Post: Minimalist