Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 28, 2024, 5:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Critical thinker, skeptical about atheism.
RE: Critical thinker, skeptical about atheism.
I'm happy to see you come back again. An overwhelming amount of replies for you huh!

It seems to me you're still attacking what you assume atheism leads to, rather than what atheism actually is. It would be better to talk to atheists and ask them questions, rather than assume what their life is like.

Atheism is just the starting point. It's living in reality. After that, it's up to the individual. If you think life is worthless without an imaginary sky buddy and false promises, then sadly religion has brainwashed you pretty badly.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(December 19, 2014 at 6:41 pm)Antikytherian95 Wrote: at the end of the day we all have a desire for fulfillment in this life, and I believe that's why atheism is such a minority belief system in our world,

it leaves one empty, because it has no answers for the most basic questions, and who wants to live an Empty existence,

wondering what the point of getting up in the morning is, if one lives a meaningless life that ends in a hole in the ground,

some will say, "There is no meaning to life, but you can just use your imagination to make one up", but thats living a delusion.

And so we will always have religion it seems to me, since the alternative is a despair,

This is a nonsequitur, and honestly, it's pretty irritating for you to think you should be able to tell me how I feel. Perhaps you'd do better to ask.

(December 19, 2014 at 6:41 pm)Antikytherian95 Wrote: Oh and a little off topic, amazing inexplicable phenomena in this world, backed up by incredible discoveries in Paranormal Psychology, certainly reinforce the validity of religion as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eg9qY_7qvg

You don't have the courtesy to listen to us about our views, yet you want to blather about your own? Communication is a two-way street. You should ask our views before you tell us how we feel. I didn't, and won't, watch your horseshit until you have the courtesy to stop talking down to the folk here.

(December 19, 2014 at 6:41 pm)Antikytherian95 Wrote: Oh and a little off topic, amazing inexplicable phenomena in this world, backed up by incredible discoveries in Paranormal Psychology, certainly reinforce the validity of religion as well.

To quote Socrates: "Lolwut?"
Why do you labor under the impression that you are a critical thinker?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Hmm. The fact that some people are deluded enough to believe ghost stories is not surprising when they are deluded enough to believe all the fairy tails in the bible. You're looking at it backwards.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(December 20, 2014 at 4:49 am)robvalue Wrote: Hmm. The fact that some people are deluded enough to believe ghost stories is not surprising when they are deluded enough to believe all the fairy tails in the bible. You're looking at it backwards.

Also the title of the post is ass backwards. what it should be is Non critical thinker, skeptical about a belief system that doesn't have god or a savior.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(December 20, 2014 at 4:49 am)robvalue Wrote: Hmm. The fact that some people are deluded enough to believe ghost stories is not surprising when they are deluded enough to believe all the fairy tails in the bible. You're looking at it backwards.

Fairies have tails?

But on a serious note, posting a shoddy video about haunted places doesn't exactly add credibility to the OP. If I want to gobble bullshit I'm looking up my own special brand. Thanks, but no thanks, not watching that pile of excrement.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The problem with the religious they don't know, but they cannot admit that they don't know, they need to have an answer for everything, and all their answers comes from a story book, where as the atheist admit they don't know, and what they do know has been proven, not by a story book but science.
(December 19, 2014 at 7:06 am)Antikytherian95 Wrote: I have a nagging skepticism about atheism since it leaves unexplained the most basic questions of our existence and the existence of all things.

Q- Where does the Universe come from?
Dogmatic atheist- We don't know

Q Why are we here?
Dogmatic atheist- We don't know

Q Is there any meaning to life?
Dogmatic atheist- We don't know but you can just make up an imaginary meaning in your brain (thus living a delusion)

Q Is there good and evil?
Dogmatic atheist (Dawkins)- There is no good and evil, we all dance to the tune of our DNA

Why then do we put "evil" people in jails? ("evil" is a religious word)
A truly honest Dogmatic atheist- We don't know

There are so many questions Ive asked atheists over the years, and their answers just seem illogical, and leave me even more skeptical about atheism.

Thoughts? Thinking

1) Saying you don't know something is an honest response to not knowing it. Making stuff up and saying you have an answer doesn't actually mean you have one which represents reality.

2) We lock people up because they do things that go against our instincts as people. We love our families and friends, and we wish to remove anyone from our environment who will do them harm. We can call dysfunctional people "evil" or not-- but the result will always be that we remove them.

3) Your definition of "logic" is strange. It seems that a logical answer, to you, is any answer that fits within the particular fairy tale you happen to believe in. You want illogical? How about an all-good, all-powerful God who allows babies to be born deformed or otherwise to suffer? How about a God who destroys entires cities due to their sinning ways, then comes to Earth in human form and defends prostitutes, saying "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." THAT is illogical.
So often we have people who are extremely overly sceptical about everything not in the bible, and blindly accepting of everything in the bible. I hope it's clear why that's an issue.

Index of my best videos
(December 19, 2014 at 6:41 pm)Antikytherian95 Wrote: at the end of the day we all have a desire for fulfillment in this life, and I believe that's why atheism is such a minority belief system in our world,

Which makes us kind of special, wouldn't you say? We are the only group that isn't so desperately lacking in fulfillment that we have to invent a god just so that our existence has some sort of meaning.

Quote: it leaves one empty, because it has no answers for the most basic questions, and who wants to live an Empty existence,

If this was true, we would have long ago stopped bothering to look for these answers, and to better ourselves in the meantime. It seems, to me, that the ones who really have nothing are the ones who have to invent the answers they are too lazy to search for, who decide that strict adherence to this invention is more important than life itself.

Quote:wondering what the point of getting up in the morning is, if one lives a meaningless life that ends in a hole in the ground,

That's funny, because I wonder what the point is of waking up to another day of being a wicked, worthless sinner who exists only to further the plans of some god, plans which have nothing to do with you and will not benefit you in any way.

Plastic wrap has a purpose, too, but almost all of it ends up in the landfill.

Quote:some will say, "There is no meaning to life, but you can just use your imagination to make one up", but thats living a delusion.

Yeah, that's what we keep telling you religious types.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheist or Skeptical videos Angrboda 27 3267 October 17, 2022 at 6:50 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 29149 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheist thinker, or ignorant believer? WinterHold 5 1956 May 20, 2016 at 6:43 am
Last Post: maestroanth
  Create your own skeptical quotes. Brian37 33 4635 March 20, 2015 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 13377 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12648 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10813 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12439 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 39603 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack