Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 29, 2024, 3:12 am

Poll: Has art jumped the shark after WWI
This poll is closed.
Yes, the old times is where it's at! Give me Rembrandt over Miró any time!
15.00%
3 15.00%
No, modern art has its own justification
60.00%
12 60.00%
I don't care.
25.00%
5 25.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Has art jumped the shark after WWI?
RE: Has art jumped the shark after WWI?
(January 7, 2015 at 4:50 pm)Alex K Wrote: I think if a truly common definiton were found, we'd be done with the discussion. Maybe one should ask a better question to begin with.

Such as, what gets your emotions?
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(January 7, 2015 at 4:52 pm)abaris Wrote:
(January 7, 2015 at 4:50 pm)Alex K Wrote: I think if a truly common definiton were found, we'd be done with the discussion. Maybe one should ask a better question to begin with.

Such as, what gets your emotions?

I don't know. For me enjoyment of art is not just provokation of emotions. I want to fi d something interesting as well, there's got to be a combination of the two.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(January 7, 2015 at 5:02 pm)Alex K Wrote: I don't know. For me enjoyment of art is not just provokation of emotions. I want to fi d something interesting as well, there's got to be a combination of the two.

Emotional combines both for me. I don't get emotional when something doesn't interest me as well.

Edit:

[Image: 800px-Pieter_Bruegel_d._%C3%84._087.jpg]

That painting by Pieter Bruegel is actually a good example. It interests me because there's so much detail, but it also grips me emotionally, since I can look at it for quite some time, imagining what life has been like back then and him showing it to me. It's a one way mirror into 16th century Holland.
(January 7, 2015 at 3:49 pm)Faith No More Wrote: If there's one thing I've learned about discussing art, and this thread completely reinforces that notion, the conversation never truly progresses unless a common defintion of art is agreed upon. Of course, agreeing upon a definition of art is just as messy and you'll never reach that next step.

I think discussions like this point up the fact that something so personal as art doesn't submit to one definition.

I like that, and I like discussions like this. It brings me new ways of looking at the only true love I've had.

Art is whatever people create, as long as the creation is the intent. A fancy sandwich is art. I don't have to like it or care about it. It doesn't have to have a specific meaning. It doesn't have to use a certain medium or technique. Those are just things we look for to dismiss works which don't align with our preferences, so that we may pretend that our preferences make us special.

Those 'vapid' paintings above, I think are pretty nice. They are pleasant to look at and are well-constructed. I could imagine myself having a relaxing afternoon drinking in sights like that. I see no reason to minimize what the artist has done just because it's a common subject matter. I prefer quality over uniqueness.
(January 7, 2015 at 7:14 pm)Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote: A fancy sandwich is art.

Well, if the sole intent is to gobble it down, I would draw the line at that.
(January 7, 2015 at 7:17 pm)abaris Wrote:
(January 7, 2015 at 7:14 pm)Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote: A fancy sandwich is art.

Well, if the sole intent is to gobble it down, I would draw the line at that.

Fancy sandwich you say?....

[Image: 15468_dali.jpg]
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

(January 7, 2015 at 7:22 pm)Alex K Wrote: Fancy sandwich you say?....

I never said, a sandwich couldn't be art. It's intent that matters. Otherwise the beer sitting before me would be an artistic expression.
(January 7, 2015 at 7:24 pm)abaris Wrote:
(January 7, 2015 at 7:22 pm)Alex K Wrote: Fancy sandwich you say?....

I never said, a sandwich couldn't be art.
Course not! I was just reminded of it and found it amusing that I'd actually seen a sandwich or something like it in a museum
Quote:It's intent that matters. Otherwise the beer sitting before me would be an artistic expression.
Hmmm, yes. It fills me with positive emotion, I find it very interesting... So for a sensible definition of art the intention does seem to matter here.

I photographed this basket by Jane Maestre in a Cambridge gallery window. Is it art? (Hint: yes.)

[Image: 3238336394_ba9a0ed083_z.jpg?zz=1]A color pencil basket by Jane Maestre

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Art in the Home FrustratedFool 17 1461 October 25, 2023 at 6:59 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  "Impossible" Art LinuxGal 12 1339 September 9, 2023 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Is art deranged? MarcusA 29 2419 September 3, 2023 at 7:34 am
  What is Art? MarcusA 15 1162 September 3, 2023 at 2:17 am
Last Post: MarcusA
  Art in decadence? Macoleco 53 5853 December 4, 2022 at 5:43 pm
  Abba return to UK top 10 after 40 years... Duty 10 1338 September 11, 2021 at 6:07 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Of neon and art deco...... Brian37 7 640 September 2, 2020 at 3:28 pm
  April fool. This is indeed a work of art. Succubus#2 1 392 April 1, 2020 at 6:44 am
  'demonic' art project at school Fake Messiah 1 532 October 23, 2019 at 12:16 am
Last Post: AFTT47
  Censored Art Photos Foxaèr 5 626 April 27, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: Fireball