Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 29, 2024, 8:21 am

Poll: Universal moral truths exist
This poll is closed.
I agree
21.43%
3 21.43%
I disagree
78.57%
11 78.57%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists only vote please: Do absolute MORAL truths exist? Is Rape ALWAYS "wrong"?
RE: Atheists only vote please: Do absolute MORAL truths exist? Is Rape ALWAYS "wr...
(February 19, 2015 at 9:41 pm)Nestor Wrote:

Blaise Pascal

I expect, on the contrary, that we ought to have this feeling from principles of human interest and self-love;

What better reason could one have for reason, or anything at all for that matter, if not out of "principles of human interest and self-love"?

It would be refreshing to see an expansion of self-love beyond the individual, even beyond human society. We live in a complex system of changing interactions between humans and our environs including millions of species of other living things. Our short sightedness in recognizing this is destroying them and ourselves at a rate of the same order of magnitude as that caused by an asteroid hit at the end of the Cretaceous. I expect our society would suffer less, destroy less and live longer if we could just see farther than the next quarterly report.
Pascal is right in yielding to "principles of human interest and self-love," where he misses is in failing to recognize how stupid we collectively are in recognizing what they are.
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
RE: Atheists only vote please: Do absolute MORAL truths exist? Is Rape ALWAYS "wr...
(February 19, 2015 at 9:25 pm)Dystopia Wrote: Hey Losty I think I'm confusing myself, I'm talking specifically about "homicide", which means "killing a human being" it its simplest form. There isn't a translated word for "murder" in Portuguese so basically "murder" for me means "homicide", sorry. Language barriers suck

I recommend that you start with oxforddictionaries dot com and then go to wikipedia for these things, to understand the meanings of these various English words. Of course, for the full legal meanings, you would have to dig even deeper (and that would vary according to particular country), but as most of us (presumably) are not lawyers, going deeper will not be necessary.

"Killing" is probably the most neutral word, so you might want to keep it handy for future use.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
(February 19, 2015 at 9:55 pm)JuliaL Wrote:
(February 19, 2015 at 9:41 pm)Nestor Wrote:

Blaise Pascal

I expect, on the contrary, that we ought to have this feeling from principles of human interest and self-love;

What better reason could one have for reason, or anything at all for that matter, if not out of "principles of human interest and self-love"?

It would be refreshing to see an expansion of self-love beyond the individual, even beyond human society. We live in a complex system of changing interactions between humans and our environs including millions of species of other living things. Our short sightedness in recognizing this is destroying them and ourselves at a rate of the same order of magnitude as that caused by an asteroid hit at the end of the Cretaceous. I expect our society would suffer less, destroy less and live longer if we could just see farther than the next quarterly report.
Pascal is right in yielding to "principles of human interest and self-love," where he misses is in failing to recognize how stupid we collectively are in recognizing what they are.
That sadly is the case for many otherwise intelligent people who are brainwashed by dogma, one of the primary problems with religion.

The wonderful thing about science is that it is continually revealing the "self" in "self-love" to be almost illusory as a distinct identification from everything else around us.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
RE: Atheists only vote please: Do absolute MORAL truths exist? Is Rape ALWAYS "wrong"?
I guess I don't get a vote.

Irreconciled good intentions. I think the question was more intended to probe the question of how rape or anything immoral is wrong, rather than whether or not this specific act itself is.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(February 19, 2015 at 9:50 pm)Beccs Wrote: Rape is always wrong no matter how you try to justify it or twist it.

Is that truly difficult for some people to understand?

Evidently, it is. And that is very sad.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
(February 19, 2015 at 9:50 pm)Beccs Wrote: Rape is always wrong no matter how you try to justify it or twist it.

Is that truly difficult for some people to understand?

Not going to argue with a crazy lady, specially with a scalpel.

Would it be wrong if you were a duck?
Rape in the blue ringed teal.

rasetsu Wrote:I think the question was more intended to probe the question of how rape or anything immoral is wrong, rather than whether or not this specific act itself is.
Once again, rasetsu, by cutting to the heart of the matter, incisively brings unity.
RE: Atheists only vote please: Do absolute MORAL truths exist? Is Rape ALWAYS "wrong"?
Would morality be relevant if you were a duck?
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(February 19, 2015 at 10:24 pm)Losty Wrote: Would morality be relevant if you were a duck?

Ask an animal right's activist. ROFLOL
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(February 19, 2015 at 10:24 pm)Losty Wrote: Would morality be relevant if you were a duck?

Disclaimer: I have never been a duck.

But if I were, I expect there would be situations I would consider better or worse, hence right or wrong constituting duck morality.

I try to see things from different perspectives. In the case of fellow humans, this is a direct extrapolation to 'How would I feel if I were in their shoes.'
This is pretty much straight empathy.
I extend this to non-humans with similar brain/body mass ratios, chimpanzees, whales, elephants.
The extrapolation gets more shaky. But for our closest relatives the chimps, I have little sympathy for the contention that 'They are JUST animals.' when they exhibit behaviors sufficient for me to grant them full humanity if they had been genetically fully human instead of only 95%. This puts me at odds with those who would revolt at medical experiments done on other races of human while fully condoning any experimentation done on non-human primates. I find the attitudes of mid 20th century Americans towards syphilis experiments on African Amerians and 21st century human chauvinists towards experiments on chimps to be entirely parallel and unacceptable.
I support animal "rights", but I don't think morality applies to animals.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 12433 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Family is always asking me to come to religious celebrations Tomatoshadow2 25 2467 April 11, 2023 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1376 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Moral universalism and theism Interaktive 20 2308 May 6, 2022 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 3693 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 2270 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Atheists: What if Trump addressed your issues in America. Would you vote for him? Sanau 38 5602 March 30, 2020 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
Photo Only 10% of the Nobel prize winners are atheist ? Now I am a Believer 90 8545 January 28, 2020 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: notimportant1234
  Only 10% of the Nobel prize winners are atheist ? Now I am a Believer 0 619 January 18, 2020 at 9:58 am
Last Post: Now I am a Believer
  How can you be sure that God doesn't exist? randomguy123 50 6768 August 14, 2019 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath