Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 2, 2024, 12:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proof of God
RE: Proof of God
MM, you're equivocating different definitions of "nothingness."
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
(February 27, 2015 at 1:57 am)Harris Wrote: Nothingness:
Nothingness can only produce non-existence, and so it cannot be the foundation of any ideology.

Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
I'm still waiting to hear how I'm meant to give thanks to this creator thing, Harris, whatever it may be.

Where do I go? What do I do? How can I know it is getting my message?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(March 4, 2015 at 3:46 am)robvalue Wrote: I'm still waiting to hear how I'm meant to give thanks to this creator thing, Harris, whatever it may be.

Where do I go? What do I do? How can I know it is getting my message?

It depends.

If you ask a priest, the answer will be his bank account number.
Most likely Big Grin One started taking off his clothes, so I think that must have been the wrong one to see about this.

Since Harris gave me this advice I'm hoping he will take ownership of it and tell me what I'm actually meant to do.

Do I just think thankful thoughts?
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(March 3, 2015 at 9:50 am)Harris Wrote:
(February 27, 2015 at 4:14 am)Pandæmonium Wrote: No proof in OP.

Downvote.

What do you have in place of God?

No idea what that even is.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Why should we need anything in its place?

Index of my best videos
(March 3, 2015 at 11:16 pm)Pizz-atheist Wrote: MM, you're equivocating different definitions of "nothingness."

No, I'm not. Don't get me wrong, I do understand the differences in those definitions but it's not necessary to distinguish them to make the theory work.

If you want the hard-science then you need to begin with the quantum vacuum but the soft theory (experimentally un-verifiable) is still reasonable, that is to say it can be reasoned.

For example, it is reasonable to assume at some point there could have been nothingness in the sense of a total absence of anything. We have some soft-theory on how that might give rise to a quantum vacuum from the likes of Victor J Stenger but we can never experimentally prove it, only mathematically.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
So you're claiming the quantum vacuum is the first cause/uncaused cause? Okay that's a live option.
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
(March 4, 2015 at 4:29 pm)Pizz-atheist Wrote: So you're claiming the quantum vacuum is the first cause/uncaused cause? Okay that's a live option.
Deist inserts quantum woo in 3... 2... 1...
Sum ergo sum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Criticism of Aquinas' First Way or of the Proof of God from Motion. spirit-salamander 75 7409 May 3, 2021 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  A 'proof' of God's existence - free will mrj 54 6843 August 9, 2020 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Sal
  Ed Feser's Aristotelian Proof of the Existence of God Dolorian 60 15538 October 28, 2014 at 9:42 am
Last Post: Brian37