Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 3, 2024, 11:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Atheism Lead to Nihilism?
RE: Does Atheism Lead to Nihilism?
(March 13, 2015 at 11:16 am)robvalue Wrote: Steve: are you now trying to say atheists get their morals from God?

If God sets what is moral and what is not, then it is subjective to him. It is then of no guarantee that it will actually have anything to do with our wellbeing.

The Judeo-christian position is that we (all of us) are created in the image of God and that (among other things) is where our sense of morality comes from.

God, being the greatest conceivable being is necessarily good. Because being the ultimate good (his very character defines it) is greater than merely reflecting a set of subjective moral concepts attempting to define good. So as you move backwards that is the explanatory stopping point for morality--contrasted against the naturalist perspective which gives no (or arbitrary) explanatory stopping point (and therefore subjective).
(March 13, 2015 at 11:45 am)SteveII Wrote: God, being the greatest conceivable being is necessarily good.
I agree with you, but there's a little more to it. The atheists) won't acknowledge the problem because they are stuck on stupid with their irrational adherence to nominalism.
So... nobody has an answer to the very obvious fact that god's opinions on morality as just as subjective as any other? Or the Euthyphro Dilemma?

Y'all just okay with assuming your conclusion? Thinking
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(March 13, 2015 at 11:37 am)Esquilax Wrote: So is god's nature good because he says so, or because it conforms to moral goodness? The Euthyphro Dilemma remains unanswered, and it destroys everything you've said here, Steve.

"Is what is morally good commanded by God because it is morally good, or is it morally good because it is commanded by God?"

The Euthyphro dilemma is a false dilemma because there is a third option. When you are talking about the nature of God you are talking about his essential properties (the greatest conceivable being). God neither conforms to nor invents the moral order. Rather His very nature is the standard for good.
(March 13, 2015 at 12:27 pm)ChadWooters Wrote:
(March 13, 2015 at 11:45 am)SteveII Wrote: God, being the greatest conceivable being is necessarily good.
I agree with you, but there's a little more to it. The atheists) won't acknowledge the problem because they are stuck on stupid with their irrational adherence to nominalism.

And our irrational resistance to the idea that you can define something into existence.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Well this should make things really simple for Steve. There is no difference between his usage of good and God. He uses them both without having any knowledge of what they mean. So all he has to do is imagine that when atheists talk about "the good," they mean his idea of God (well maybe not HIS idea) but something that only exists hypothetically, or as an ideal, not that actually exists as a real entity outside of one's conception.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza

God, being the greatest conceivable being is necessarily non-existent. For someone maximally great in power, knowledge, and presence is not logically coherent due to the logical problems that arise from these attributes. There's also the logical problem of having to be the greatest in everything in order to be the greatest conceivable being. This means greatest in existence and in non-existence, greatest in feminine beauty and greatest in inducing disgust, greatest in providing sexual pleasure and greatest in experiencing sexual pleasure, etc.

Notice how my first statement is contradicted by the rest of my argument? That's exactly because such a being defies all logic.
Steve: If god's nature is the standard for good, then you really are fucked. Have you read the bible?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(March 13, 2015 at 10:53 am)SteveII Wrote: The statement has been made that any morality from God is also subjective. From your favorite Christian philosopher WLC:

Quote:God's moral nature is expressed in relation to us in the form of divine commands which constitute our moral duties or obligations. Far from being arbitrary, these commands flow necessarily from His moral nature. In the Judaeo-Christian tradition, the whole moral duty of man can be summed up in the two great commandments: First, you shall love the Lord your God with all your strength and with all your soul and with all your heart and with all your mind, and, second, you shall love your neighbor as yourself. On this foundation we can affirm the objective goodness and rightness of love, generosity, self-sacrifice, and equality, and condemn as objectively evil and wrong selfishness, hatred, abuse, discrimination, and oppression.

So what? You still select the religious outlook that best suits your moral code.

(March 13, 2015 at 10:53 am)SteveII Wrote: If these attributes necessarily flow from the greatest conceivable being, they are not subjective.

Yes, they are, even if we accept for the sake of argument that huge "if". Assuming your premises for sake of argument, your "objective" morality is still the whim of a subject -- your god. Thge only thing you've done is moved the source of your morality to the ineffable, probably to gain access to rationalization by fiat -- "God said so, it must be so."

(March 13, 2015 at 10:53 am)SteveII Wrote: If we are made in the image of God (having some of the same attributes: soul, personhood, sentient, capable of love, having free will, moral, etc.), we have within us an objective framework for moral values and duties.

Not so, for the same things your god forbids us as evil, he himself practices, according to his holy book. That in itself is proof that the Christian morality is subjective and relative as well. Additionally, the examples I presented earlier, of sectarian differences on moral issues, is real-world, no-Bible-bullshit-story evidence of the same.

Simply bleating over and over, "But you have to have god to be morally grounded" ignores those countervailing facts. you need to tighten up your argumentation, and remove this gaping hole.

(March 13, 2015 at 10:53 am)SteveII Wrote: Consequently, this is also the reason I don't think atheists go around killing people but rather explains why we feel we have intrinsic meaning, value and purpose; why we know what is right and wrong; why there is self-sacrifice; and why we feel there are such things as universal truths (what the "noble lie" otherwise provides).

I find your explanation utterly unconvincing, relying as it does on a completely undemonstrated being, and blithely ignoring the contraindications provided by, you know, reality.

"Greatest conceivable being"

At what level something become so poorly defined that we can just dismiss it outright?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Moral Nihilism a Morality? vulcanlogician 140 11400 July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Nihilism ShirkahnW 82 11694 January 14, 2018 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Dealing with existential nihilism Angst King 113 18837 April 2, 2017 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Sound and Nihilism henryp 26 5860 May 2, 2015 at 2:19 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Is nihilism the logical extreme of atheism? Whateverist 301 48733 October 23, 2014 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: TreeSapNest
  Does Deep Thought Lead to God? Here's a Shallow Answer Jenny A 31 5542 September 10, 2014 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Nihilism Napoléon 45 14107 May 23, 2011 at 8:11 am
Last Post: Napoléon
  Nihilism Light of Truth 24 7428 December 20, 2010 at 5:14 am
Last Post: lrh9
  How many forms of Nihilism do you subscribe to? Edwardo Piet 26 9334 May 18, 2010 at 2:27 am
Last Post: Violet