Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 4, 2024, 1:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tentatively Christian; looking for a reasonable discussion
RE: Tentatively Christian; looking for a reasonable discussion
Hello, welcome to the forum Smile

I'm always happy to receive PM too.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Tentatively Christian; looking for a reasonable discussion
Welcome.

I tend to see a pattern with most of the threads here. If a theist starts to preach, tell folks what they are thinking or make continued assertions without valid evidence then they should be prepared for a backlash. If you can avoid this sort of thing then discussions will take a more pleasant path usually.
Ok right, so Min has evidence when he claims that Jesus was a myth does he?
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
(March 18, 2015 at 5:20 am)TubbyTubby Wrote: Welcome.

I tend to see a pattern with most of the threads here. If a theist starts to preach, tell folks what they are thinking or make continued assertions without valid evidence then they should be prepared for a backlash. If you can avoid this sort of thing then discussions will take a more pleasant path usually.

We can be very pleasant indeed!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

It might help to know what type of Christianity you are questioning (Catholic, Baptist, Mormon, ...).
Smile
That's a good point. I still can't get my head around why Catholics/Orthodox consider the Vulgate and LXX to be of superior quality to the MT, given the evidence available today.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
I'm so pleasant that people's heads have exploded when I walk past them on the street.

No wait. Violent. I'm so violent that...

Never mind Big Grin Just having silly atheist fun. All I tend to do is engage in sensible discussion where possible, urge those who are deviating from it to return to it, and ignore people who just ramble on incoherently without caring what I say.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
Don't PM me.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Lol! You need that in your signature.

"If you're looking for someone to talk to, if you have any concerns, fuck off and leave me alone."

Index of my best videos
Religious attendance/participation is a positive determinant of health (categorised by happiness and longevity), recognised by psychiatry and by W.H.O. It doesn't have to be true to be helpful...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The fascinating asymmetry of theist-atheist discussion Astreja 5 594 July 22, 2023 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  "Why is it reasonable to believe in prisons, but not in the hell?" FlatAssembler 124 10279 February 19, 2021 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Information [Serious] How many reasonable solutions are there to any particular social issue? Prof.Lunaphiles 69 9128 April 11, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Looking for comments / ideas for WIP project ABCs of Atheism Judashpeters 18 4951 April 9, 2018 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Judashpeters
  Old threads of discussion I have had. Mystic 125 19188 April 3, 2018 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Am I a Deist? Cosmological Argument seems reasonable to me. _Velvet_ 97 18124 September 28, 2016 at 8:05 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Atheism Looking Good! TrueChristian 52 8152 February 15, 2016 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  Mock dialogue of the Theist/Atheist discussion here. Mystic 99 26672 January 11, 2016 at 1:14 am
Last Post: robvalue
  christian looking to understand athiests msid 212 38098 August 21, 2015 at 10:38 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  JW looking clarity followup Won2blv 108 13622 April 27, 2015 at 12:43 am
Last Post: Aractus