Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 4, 2024, 1:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tentatively Christian; looking for a reasonable discussion
RE: Tentatively Christian; looking for a reasonable discussion
(March 20, 2015 at 9:47 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: I call sock puppet.
ChadWooters is the object, sock puppet is the form.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(March 20, 2015 at 10:01 pm)Nestor Wrote:
(March 20, 2015 at 9:47 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: I call sock puppet.
ChadWooters is the object, sock puppet is the form.
Actually I wasn't even thinking of wooters.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(March 20, 2015 at 10:17 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote:
(March 20, 2015 at 10:01 pm)Nestor Wrote: ChadWooters is the object, sock puppet is the form.
Actually I wasn't even thinking of wooters.
Mezmos = Wooters
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(March 20, 2015 at 8:53 pm)Mezmo! Wrote:
(March 20, 2015 at 7:33 pm)Delicate Wrote: I'm sorry, but almost everything here is absolute garbage so far as refuting the first-cause argument.
Absolutely correct. They just keep knocking down straw men. When someone points to the error of their ways (trying to translate the Scholastic tradition into the language of modern analytic philosophy), they just prop the straw men back up and start over.

I think it's very telling that the atheists all respond with lengthy critiques of the argument, while the theists can't muster anything more than a weak "you're wrong and your arguments are bad." At least have the wherewithal to attempt an argument, theists. Dodgy
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Wooters is a panentheist now? He's dropped that Swede stuff?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
All I have to say about this is that he will receive a couple of cactii shortly. It should be obvious why.
(March 21, 2015 at 12:47 pm)LastPoet Wrote: All I have to say about this is that he will receive a couple of cactii shortly. It should be obvious why.

A couple!? Geez, it seems the comeuppance has gotten stiffer. Or pricklier...
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(March 20, 2015 at 8:09 pm)abentwookie Wrote:
(March 20, 2015 at 7:33 pm)Delicate Wrote: I'm sorry, but almost everything here is absolute garbage so far as refuting the first-cause argument.

Argh... Okay, I didn't want to get into this discussion but I will make a brief post. I haven't really bothered to read through the previous posts about Kalam so I don't know if anyone has already addressed these issues.

If the argument is that everything that exists has to have a cause and the theist insists that the cause is God, this is how I would respond.

#1. For the sake of brevity, I will just accept the claim that "everything must have a cause" and avoid going down that path entirely.

#2. I will also accept the claim that the universe has a cause. However, if everything MUST have a cause, then what created God? What created the entity that created God? You get the idea. This creates an infinite regress and the only option the theist has is to claim that God didn't need a cause, which completely invalidates his entire argument. You can't claim that everything must have a cause and then say, "Oh wait, everything except...." That is special pleading. Kalam is based on a fundamentally flawed idea and is not a sound logical argument.

The claim isn't "everything must have a cause" but "everything that begins to exist must have a cause." The sets of objects under discussion are different in both propositions.

As for your second point, I think the theist would say that God, by definition, has been defined as an uncreated being, like a bachelor is, by definition, unmarried. If you're talking of a being that has all of God's properties, except it was created, then it couldn't be God (just like someone that's like a bachelor in every way except he's married, he isn't really a bachelor). If you want to attack the notion of God qua uncaused cause, your best bet would be to concede that there must be an uncaused cause, and then ask "Why must the cause be a person, as opposed to a force of some other kind."

(March 20, 2015 at 7:42 pm)Surgenator Wrote: Why is it garbage? Please elaborate.

It takes a lot more time to correct errors than it takes to make errors.

So I'll let you pick what you think is the strongest argument against the first cause. Or maybe even the top three, and I'll respond to them here.

In fact, if they are good objections, I'll even apologize and eat my hat.
That's called special pleading. If you can just announce that some things didn't begin to exist, then how you do you know the universe began to exist?

And of course, "a cause" is not "a god". Not even close.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(March 21, 2015 at 1:22 pm)Delicate Wrote: The claim isn't "everything must have a cause" but "everything that begins to exist must have a cause." The sets of objects under discussion are different in both propositions.

And the fact that the "begins to exist" part was a lazy workaround addition to Kalam to avoid being asked the question "who created god?" doesn't bother you because...? Thinking

Quote:As for your second point, I think the theist would say that God, by definition, has been defined as an uncreated being, like a bachelor is, by definition, unmarried.

And you think it's okay to just define things that way for no other reason than rhetorical advantage, without evidence or justification, because...? Thinking

Besides, if you actually think that's a cogent way to argue this point then an equally cogent response would be to simply define the universe as uncreated, or as self-creating, and leave it at that.

Quote:It takes a lot more time to correct errors than it takes to make errors.

Yeah, tell me about it. Rolleyes

Quote:So I'll let you pick what you think is the strongest argument against the first cause. Or maybe even the top three, and I'll respond to them here.

In fact, if they are good objections, I'll even apologize and eat my hat.

Is there any particular reason you've moved the goalposts so that now we're talking about a first cause in general, and not the Kalam argument itself? The former isn't particularly objectionable- though a tad unsupported, which is really all the argument we need against it- while the latter is shot through with assumptions and assertions. We were discussing the latter all up until now; is that what you'd like to keep discussing?

If that's the case, I made a post with something like three objections to Kalam in it, all of which are valid. Why not start there?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The fascinating asymmetry of theist-atheist discussion Astreja 5 594 July 22, 2023 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  "Why is it reasonable to believe in prisons, but not in the hell?" FlatAssembler 124 10279 February 19, 2021 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Information [Serious] How many reasonable solutions are there to any particular social issue? Prof.Lunaphiles 69 9128 April 11, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Looking for comments / ideas for WIP project ABCs of Atheism Judashpeters 18 4951 April 9, 2018 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Judashpeters
  Old threads of discussion I have had. Mystic 125 19188 April 3, 2018 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Am I a Deist? Cosmological Argument seems reasonable to me. _Velvet_ 97 18124 September 28, 2016 at 8:05 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Atheism Looking Good! TrueChristian 52 8152 February 15, 2016 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  Mock dialogue of the Theist/Atheist discussion here. Mystic 99 26672 January 11, 2016 at 1:14 am
Last Post: robvalue
  christian looking to understand athiests msid 212 38098 August 21, 2015 at 10:38 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  JW looking clarity followup Won2blv 108 13622 April 27, 2015 at 12:43 am
Last Post: Aractus