Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 27, 2024, 5:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Eternal Life Even Desireable?
RE: Is Eternal Life Even Desireable?
Hmmmm. Not sure if I'm misinterpreting the OP, but here goes.

Eternal life, as in, here on earth, would pose some problems that you'd need to deal with. If we never died, divorce would become a 100% given. Even disownment would have a very high occurrence, I'd think. Families are not perfect. Also, would we physically age as we are right now? I'm 39 and my back frequently aches, and my right knee has felt on the verge of an ACL tear for the last month. What'll happen when I'm 39,000 years old?

Also, what about our work lives. When would retirement come?

And how would we adapt to linguistic changes? Middle English is not the same as what we speak, that's for sure.

If the OP is talking about an eternal afterlife...well...depends who's running the show. The Christian god seems like a creep, and no other god seems much better. Also, heaven could be extremely boring or it could change as quickly as we can envision what's in it, which would be kind of unsettling.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
If it's forced, eternal life might become hell at one point. I'd still take it over forced death if it were really available. The true prize is being able to live as long as you want to. I'm not a particularly happy person but I think 70 - 90 years is a tragically short lifetime. I'm such a damn procrastinator, I would need 150 years to really get my shit together. Then, I would need more time to actually do something useful. I can't see me getting board in anything under a thousand years.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Given that the older we get, the faster time seems to go by, I wouldn't think living for eternity would be all that great in the long run. I certainly wouldn't want to spend an eternity in the same place. Being under the supervision of someone expecting me to continually worship him for mercifully not sending me to the other place he created to torture those that don't. I don't think heaven will be any better than hell, given a few million years.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I think the only reason eternity doesn't terrify us is that we can't wrap our heads around it. After a trillion trillion years, it will hardly have started.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(April 22, 2015 at 11:20 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: I think the only reason eternity doesn't terrify us is that we can't wrap our heads around it. After a trillion trillion years, it will hardly have started.

Right. Our brains just aren't equipped to grapple with concepts of eternity and infinity. That's not a slight on the human brain - considering half a million years ago its main priorities were eating, fucking and shitting (though to be fair, those are still pretty high up on my list, at least) we haven't done too badly at all.
But eternity...it will never end. Not ever. You would continue to exist long after the collapse of the universe, far beyond the time when the Earth is devoured by the Sun, condemned to go on, and on, and on...forever. I struggle to think of a more horrific fate, really.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
I don't want eternal life, at least not one imagined by a third party on my behalf. If I could design my own eternal life, to be perfect for me in every way and which I could turn off forever at any time, then I'd want that.

I spend a lot of time in that world anyhow, it exists on my head and I retreat to it to escape the shitstorm that is life on Earth.

Like most religious concepts, I don't think people put much thought into it at all. It's just a mental pacifier, to say "It's ok, you're not really going to die, and you're loved ones aren't really dead." It's actually a very harmful belief in many ways in my opinion. It devalues this life, doesn't permit proper grieving, and can lead to terrible decisions particularly on behalf of those under your care.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(April 22, 2015 at 6:49 pm)noctalla Wrote: Recently, I encountered a Christian who asked me what atheists believe happens after death. I suspect the question was posed partly out of genuine curiosity, but with an underlying assumption that, whatever atheists believe, Christians believe in wish for a more desireable outcome.
Fixed that for you.
I've noticed a tendency for some theists to expect reality to conform to their beliefs, rather than the other way round. For example I ask a question about hell and someone says, "Well I don't believe in hell." Whoosh! Hell disappears. Until I talk to the next guy who tells me all about hell and how I'm going to suffer there. Whoosh! Hell is back.

What you believe has absolutely no effect on reality, other than to inform your decisions.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(April 22, 2015 at 8:49 pm)Polaris Wrote: Depends entirely on how you will use that eternal existence.
So "videogames and ho-ho's on a larger scale"? I wonder if there will be internet chat sites in heaven.
Free wifi in heaven would help deal with all those grandmas and grandpas up there imo

Still I'd get bored after a couple hundred years and would try to get kicked out asap

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 4357 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, lunwarris 49 4878 January 7, 2023 at 11:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1654 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, barji 9 1609 July 10, 2020 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  [Not Even A Little Bit Serious] Why AREN'T You An Atheist? BrianSoddingBoru4 28 4443 December 28, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  No Financial Inclusion Today! No Financial Inclusion Tomarrah! Or For Eternity, Even mascale 21 2509 August 12, 2019 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, asthev 14 2396 March 17, 2019 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: chimp3
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, auuka 21 3543 October 7, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Reltzik
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, brukanzuu 14 3133 March 2, 2018 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, baah 59 11844 October 27, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: LastPoet