Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 18, 2024, 10:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ask a Catholic
RE: Ask a Catholic
(June 6, 2015 at 5:55 pm)Randy Carson Wrote:
(June 6, 2015 at 5:32 pm)pocaracas Wrote: I'm flabbergasted.... nothing about grace and truth in this piece you cited: http://www.catholic.com/tracts/grace-wha...at-it-does.

How does that grace give you some insight into what is true?

Actually, my question was "how would you know that what a particular religion claims is the truth?"
And you give me the presupposition that your religion's claims are representative of reality.
No, my question comes before the presupposition of the religion... How can you be sure that one of them is true?

And I said I know this by God's grace. But reason/logic and revelation play a role, too. Everyone may look at creation and discern God's handiwork - though not all do, of course.

I'd have to think about how revelation and grace are intertwined...

Any how, I thought the article was pretty clear on grace, but perhaps that's because I'm more familiar with the terminology.

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

GRACE: The free and undeserved gift that God gives to us to respond to our vocation and to become his adopted children. As sanctifying grace, God shares his divine life and friendship with us in a habitual gift, a stable and supernatural disposition that enables the soul to live with God, to act by his love. As actual grace, God give us the help to conform our lives to his will. Sacramental grace and special graces (charisms, the grace of state in life) are gifts of the Holy Spirit to help us live out our Christian vocation.

I understand that that's the catholic view and this is the "ask a catholic" thread.... but you're evading the core of the question.
You're still presupposing the existence of a god prior to the acceptance that the very claim of existence of said god is true.
You see, I'd wager that, when you were born, you had no such presupposition. It should be the case with every person as any one can be molded into any belief system.
As you grew, the presupposition was embedded into you, probably by your parents.
How did you come to accept that presupposition as true? Hence, how did you come to discern which god/s are truly there?

Truth (or true) is a word I hear quite often out of believers'... sadly, what is true may not have any bearing on what is real. And reality is what we'd like to ascertain.

You speak the truth when you say all these things about grace and god and whatnot... You do. I believe you do truly believe that those things are correct representations of reality.

However, such usage of the truth can lead the ignorant to a mental pitfall.
For the common usage of the word truth implies that what is being claimed is aligned with our best understanding of reality.
And our best understanding of reality is coming to us through the usage of science.
Beyond wishful thinking and some altered mental states, there is woeful lack of (scientific) evidence for the divine, any divine.
If science ever comes to show that reality contains a god, then so be it... until then, we should abstain from pronouncing as true that which is not aligned with the known reality, lest we become intellectually dishonest.

So, while you believe you are speaking the truth... you are not really saying true things.

(and, with that, I've exhausted all my stock of philosophy for the rest of the week)
(June 6, 2015 at 6:13 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: And I still do. When facing death, most people will be ready to get serious with God - Christian, Atheist or otherwise.

Excellent! You make a statement, deny having made it when pushed on it, and then double down on it later. So, were you lying when you made the statement, or when you denied claiming better knowledge about atheists than those same atheists possess?

Quote:You have home court advantage, I'm heavily out-numbered, and the refs have all been paid off.

I'm one of the refs: would you like to know how the voting went in the last report that was made about you?

I'll give you a hint: it doesn't do anything to support this claim you keep making. Angel
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(June 6, 2015 at 7:28 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Alright, let's test that. You show me this kingdom that is worth discarding one's whole life to buy. If I consider the transaction worthwhile, you have yourself a customer. I can't say fairer than that.

I'm not selling Pearls or real estate, Stimbo.

The parables say that the man finds the treasure in the field and the pearl of great price.

I've pointed you in the right direction pretty explicitly, but until YOU find them, you won't believe or accept my evaluation of them.
Just to recap, what is this right direction, and how can we make the evaluation that it is right?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(June 6, 2015 at 8:42 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Just to recap, what is this right direction, and how can we make the evaluation that it is right?

Hint: Because Randy assures you it's right.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Popcorn
Don't choke.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
The right direction is popcorn?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(June 6, 2015 at 10:57 pm)Stimbo Wrote: The right direction is popcorn?

i know the right directions. 

Take the rational road and avoid religion loop and head forward to happy guilt free life. 
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Ah, the road less travelled eh?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good exists - a Catholic comments Barry 619 39963 October 30, 2023 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
Tongue Scrupulosity - a Catholic disorder ? Bucky Ball 2 390 July 27, 2023 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Catholic Church against Cesarean section Fake Messiah 24 4171 August 14, 2021 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Not] Breaking news; Catholic church still hateful Nay_Sayer 18 1714 March 17, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Catholic churches profit under COVID PPP brewer 19 1447 February 23, 2021 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Catholic Bishops statement on Biden. brewer 9 865 January 25, 2021 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Catholic priests jailed for abusing deaf children zebo-the-fat 14 2643 November 26, 2019 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  This Is Stupid Even For A Catholic School BrianSoddingBoru4 16 2297 September 5, 2019 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  The Catholic Church has a prayer app zebo-the-fat 5 683 January 21, 2019 at 11:00 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  German Catholic Priests Abused More Than 3,600 Kids Fake Messiah 17 2230 September 14, 2018 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama