Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 15, 2024, 9:58 am

Poll: Welllllll???
This poll is closed.
yes
5.56%
3 5.56%
no
62.96%
34 62.96%
other
31.48%
17 31.48%
Total 54 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you wish God was real?
No I don't wish god existed. Just think of the wars, the bigotry and the misery that would lead as different individuals and groups fought to explain how they knew God best. Just like now but with more certainty 'I'm right and your wrong'
RE: Do you wish God was real?
(June 26, 2015 at 5:05 am)lifeskyblue Wrote: No I don't wish god existed. Just think of the wars, the bigotry and the misery that would lead as different individuals and groups fought to explain how they knew God best. Just like now but with more certainty 'I'm right and your wrong'

It could be argued that a bit of certainty might even reduce the zealous rage to silence dissenters.

Welcome to the forum by the way!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Thanks.
It might reduce zealous rage only if God was visible, interactive on a daily basis and seen to be doing good for all. Otherwise minutiae would picked over and entrenched ideas blossom. So no a real God would on balance I think be worse than a non-existent one.
(June 25, 2015 at 2:18 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Hello everyone, I have another question for all you fine folks of AF.

Do you wish there was a God?

It doesn't have to be the God of Abraham. But just A God. Some supernatural supreme being out there who created us and loves us.... Do you wish that was real or do you prefer the idea of nothing like that existing?

Please explain why or why not.

There's no middle ground that satisfies me in in relation to explanation for a god.

I can't wish the god of the bible exists because that's just undeniable straight forward dopey talk.  It's so primitive.
There's this being who was up there forever who can do everything then he all of a sudden decides to say let their be light, why does he say let their be light why didn't he just think it?  Why are there angels?  Why is god sending angels to find out things and do things for him when he can do anything anyway?  The list, of what in my opinion is dopey shit, that is in the bible is endless.  The bible pretty much depicts god as an angry dad who can turn a bit psychotic sometimes, you might aswell ask do I wish homer simpson created the universe.

On the other hand a complex/vague definition of god is just too overcomplicated for my brain to worry about.  it's in the same area as time, space, nothingness, infinity. 
Just stuff that if I focus on too much it's likely to drive me insane and make me end up living as a toothless hermit in a cave somewhere with diagrams drawn on the wall using my own bodily fluids.

I can't wish for a dopey character in a primitive book to have created the universe because....it's just dopey.
I can't wish for something I have no hope of understanding existing either because I just don't understand it.
 I don't prefer the idea of nothing, the concept of this god is equal to the concept of nothing to me.
I've never seen nothing, I don't know what it is, I can't imagine it, the same applies with a god.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(June 26, 2015 at 4:54 am)Alex K Wrote: Hmm, looks like I had my righteous angry day yesterday.

Every day is a righteous angry day for me if there are catholics around ._.

And if it makes you feel better, I didn't notice you being angrier than your usual hamster loving self
My dad spent many of his childhood nights being terrified of hell. He was never quite sure whether he had accidentally committed a deadly sin.

Bastards.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(Nevermind I'm an idiot)
I think I would like a genie in a bottle.
(June 26, 2015 at 6:19 am)Alex K Wrote: My dad spent many of his childhood nights being terrified of hell. He was never quite sure whether he had accidentally committed a deadly sin.

Bastards.

In what kind of environment was he growing up?

I'm asking because it took me a very long time to shake the guilt complex they gave me. Even today I can't stop my subconscious from producing these feelings off and on. I took therapy because of that among other issues. It was especially hard when my parents died, since that kind of triggered that old story I shared in the other thread NEIM opened.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(June 25, 2015 at 6:02 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(June 25, 2015 at 3:40 pm)Tonus Wrote: It seems as if you are saying that free will is our ability to make decisions and think for ourselves.  It's what drives one person to decide he will be a journalist, and another to decide that she will learn to play the guitar.  It's what makes chocolate chip ice cream your favorite dessert, but strawberry cheesecake your husband's preference.  It's why you love to wear blue jeans instead of a skirt, or a big floppy hat instead of a baseball cap.  Does that sound right?  Those are the things that differentiate us from one another.  Is that what free will does for us?
I'd say it's part of it, yes. Is there something else you had in mind?

I wanted to be sure I understood how you define it. My own view of free will is a bit more nuanced, but it's not fair or useful to ask you to defend your beliefs using my definitions. One more question, if I may: if, at the end of your earthly life, god grants you the gift of life in heaven, what happens to your free will? Do you keep it? If you do, does it work the way it did on earth, or does it change in any way?
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real? JJoseph 209 13380 June 12, 2024 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  If you learned that the god of [insert religion] is real, would all bets be off? Sicnoo0 59 4930 June 12, 2024 at 10:38 pm
Last Post: Prycejosh1987
  Do you wish there's a god? Catharsis 580 48750 April 10, 2019 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Two Myths I Wish Atheists Would Stop Buying Into Rhondazvous 26 4840 June 7, 2018 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  His wish sounds familiar purplepurpose 1 939 November 16, 2017 at 4:55 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Proof that God is not real? ComradeMeow 6 2542 August 5, 2017 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  I wish I had yall on Facebook mlmooney89 115 17354 August 5, 2016 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Wish purplepurpose 33 3573 June 11, 2016 at 2:31 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Who is the assholiest Theist you've met in REAL LIFE? bambi_swag 82 18702 October 7, 2015 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Good News God is real, woo hoo!!!! Manowar 7 3980 August 13, 2015 at 2:43 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72