Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:27 pm

Poll: Welllllll???
This poll is closed.
yes
5.56%
3 5.56%
no
62.96%
34 62.96%
other
31.48%
17 31.48%
Total 54 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you wish God was real?
Do you wish God was real?
Hello everyone, I have another question for all you fine folks of AF.

Do you wish there was a God?

It doesn't have to be the God of Abraham. But just A God. Some supernatural supreme being out there who created us and loves us.... Do you wish that was real or do you prefer the idea of nothing like that existing?

Please explain why or why not.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
RE: Do you wish God was real?
Difficult question! It's not clear cut so I say other.

There are some problems. If this "God" is anything like what we normally think about, then I would hold it accountable for the state of the planet. So I'd consider it at best a trickster God and at worst evil. I'd rather there wasn't either of those.

So that leaves one who loves us but has very limited power to stop suffering. If this is the case, I'd be happy that there is someone doing good rather than no one.

If it's a deistic God who set it all off and let us be, then sure I'd be interested in meeting him and finding out what the point was from his perspective. I would expect to be disappointed with both the God and the answer though. (Kevin, 42, works at Universes4U, trial run simulation, forgot to turn off.)
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
If there was someone like that who loves me, then sure! Love is good and I like to be loved Big Grin Even as Rob said it was a deistic god, then too I'd at least want one to exist so that I can talk to it and get answers.

However wishful thinking doesn't change reality!
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

No.  Gods are for losers.
I have an ambivalent attitude towards that idea, I guess. I mean, I definitely don't wish the Abrahamic god was real, or really any other gods people have ever tried to sell me, but an actual, loving skydaddy/mommy/other who made him/her/other self invariably known to his/her/other self's creations... I dunno. I guess that could be nice, but I don't really wish for it.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Depends on the god. YAHWEH? No,not really.

Baccus? Yeah, why the hell not. Papua New Guinean mud god, Pikkiwoki, the god who gives you a free pig and as many coconuts as you can carry? Damn straight!
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Yahweh? Nahweh Wink
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I don't play wishing games with reality.  Either something is real or it is not.  My desires don't enter into it.
There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide mankind that cannot be achieved as well or better through secular means.
Bitch at my blog! Follow me on Twitter! Subscribe to my YouTube channel!
For the longest period of my life I considered the possibility of a totally indifferent and neutral higher entity. But there's nothing to expect from a being like that. So no, I don't wish for any god to be real. I don't see the point.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Unless it's a deistic creator that just doesn't give a fuck, definitely no. I don't enjoy the idea of being under constant surveillance.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you learned that the god of [insert religion] is real, would all bets be off? Sicnoo0 58 4007 February 25, 2024 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real? JJoseph 207 10395 February 12, 2024 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Do you wish there's a god? Catharsis 580 42954 April 10, 2019 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Two Myths I Wish Atheists Would Stop Buying Into Rhondazvous 26 4622 June 7, 2018 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  His wish sounds familiar purplepurpose 1 922 November 16, 2017 at 4:55 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Proof that God is not real? ComradeMeow 6 2492 August 5, 2017 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  I wish I had yall on Facebook mlmooney89 115 16560 August 5, 2016 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Wish purplepurpose 33 3485 June 11, 2016 at 2:31 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Who is the assholiest Theist you've met in REAL LIFE? bambi_swag 82 17981 October 7, 2015 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Good News God is real, woo hoo!!!! Manowar 7 3943 August 13, 2015 at 2:43 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72