Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 9:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does human life have INHERENT value?
RE: Does human life have INHERENT value?
(June 27, 2015 at 4:20 pm)Godslayer Wrote:
(June 23, 2015 at 1:31 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I agree. Unfortunately, being Catholic doesn't automatically make someone a good person.

Well isn't that just the understatement of the century lol.

Make that several centuries, all the way to the inquisition times.
(June 23, 2015 at 1:31 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(June 23, 2015 at 1:18 am)Parkers Tan Wrote: Gosh, you'd think that someone who'd accepted Jesus into their heart would have more love in their hearts.  I mean, that's what you say he was about.

Call me crazy, but lighting the tinder-pile under another human just doesn't seem very loving. How could such hateful people be inspired by such a  loving god?

I agree. Unfortunately, being Catholic doesn't automatically make someone a good person.

Christ, I needed a good laugh today. Thanks.
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
(June 23, 2015 at 12:58 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(June 22, 2015 at 10:34 pm)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote: But isn't the pope infallible when it comes to church doctrine?

People often think that "papal infallibility" means the pope is a perfect person who never does or says anything wrong. This is far from the case.

Popes are infallible only on matters of faith and morals, and only when they announce that they are speaking infallibly for the Church.

^This has only happened about a dozen times in the last 2000 years, if that. Last time it happened was in the 1950's. The time before that was in the 1800's. It's a rare thing.  

To address the point, burning heretics was never Church dogma. It was a personal choice  made by some of the Catholic people of the time.

What did the church do over 300 years to stop it, you coolaid swilling bimbo?
(June 28, 2015 at 9:41 am)Chuck Wrote:
(June 23, 2015 at 12:58 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: People often think that "papal infallibility" means the pope is a perfect person who never does or says anything wrong. This is far from the case.

Popes are infallible only on matters of faith and morals, and only when they announce that they are speaking infallibly for the Church.

^This has only happened about a dozen times in the last 2000 years, if that. Last time it happened was in the 1950's. The time before that was in the 1800's. It's a rare thing.  

To address the point, burning heretics was never Church dogma. It was a personal choice  made by some of the Catholic people of the time.

What did the church do over 300 years to stop it, you coolaid swilling bimbo?

^A man just called me a bimbo for answering someone's question about papal infallibility...

(June 27, 2015 at 10:19 pm)Brakeman Wrote:
(June 23, 2015 at 1:31 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Unfortunately, being Catholic doesn't automatically make someone a good person.

How "good" do you consider yourself to be?  How would you describe yourself on a number line from
0= Satan at his worst to 100= Jesus at his best?

Hi Brakeman. That's a difficult qustion to answer. Too difficult to give an exact number, but I'd say probably somewhere in the middle, like the average person.

My parents and little brother are in town visiting me this week, so I probably won't get the chance to come back until late at night, if that.

Hope everyone has a great day. :-)
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(June 28, 2015 at 10:08 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: ^A man just called me a bimbo for answering someone's question about papal infallibility...

A different man just called me a sinner in need of a savior. Tough tits. Welcome to internet.
(June 28, 2015 at 9:41 am)Chuck Wrote: What did the church do over 300 years to stop it, you coolaid swilling bimbo?

'kool-aid swilling delusionist'

Fixed that for you. "Bimbo" was uncalled for. She has said nothing to indicate that she is a "bimbo" only deluded.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
No. I do not believe human life has value to anybody but whom it belongs to.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
(June 28, 2015 at 10:17 am)IATIA Wrote:
(June 28, 2015 at 9:41 am)Chuck Wrote: What did the church do over 300 years to stop it, you coolaid swilling bimbo?

"Bimbo" was uncalled for. 

I'll be honest and say I'll take being called a bimbo over being compared to the KKK like I was in a different thread. Though more misogynistic, I still think it beats being compare to racist murderers.

With that being said, I'm sure Chuck is a good person. Being annonymous on the internet and talking to others who are annonymous on the internet, can do funny things to an otherwise decent person. It's easy to forget that these are real humans who have feelings and who have people who love them.

Chuck, I'm sure if you were at my house and we were having this conversation over tea, you would treat me with a lot more kindness and respect, despite our differences.

Have a good night, everyone.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
I like to apologize for my demeaning and uncalled for epithet. It won't happen again.
(June 29, 2015 at 12:02 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I'll be honest and say I'll take being called a bimbo over being compared to the KKK like I was in a different thread. Though more misogynistic, I still think it beats being compare to racist murderers.

I can appreciate that, but you started following along the lines of Randy and that suggested an alignment which got you scooped in with him. Have you caught up with his postings just before you got here? I do not know if he truly believes all that or is just trolling, but he does have some scary posts.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 3188 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, lunwarris 49 4105 January 7, 2023 at 11:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  A Case for Inherent Morality JohnJubinsky 66 6905 June 22, 2021 at 10:35 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Atheists. Does life uh... find a way? Richimorto 6 1012 July 29, 2020 at 12:44 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Does Atheists have acceptability ? hindu 40 4776 July 18, 2020 at 6:04 am
Last Post: Porcupine
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, barji 9 1460 July 10, 2020 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, asthev 14 2158 March 17, 2019 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: chimp3
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, auuka 21 3263 October 7, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Reltzik
  The only human being to have won 2 unshared Nobel Prizes was an atheist. Jehanne 29 6794 March 14, 2018 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, brukanzuu 14 2927 March 2, 2018 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: sdelsolray