Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 8:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
All Hail the Second Amendment
RE: All Hail the Second Amendment
Yeah.  Double-edged word.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/03/army-ve...-daughter/

Quote:Army vet who gave up AR-15s in viral Facebook post threatened with death and rape of his 14-year-old daughter

Quote:Speaking with Newsweek, Hemmert says that, while he received a flood of praise for his decision, that he and his daughter are now on the receiving end of “deeply disturbing” death and rape threats.
“I hope someone breaks into your house and rapes your daughter,” wrote one Facebook user according to screenshots provided to Newsweek by Hemmert. “While she is being raped I hope she looks up and says, daddy where’s the gun we built? Where!!!!”

According to the veteran, he has also received threats from 2nd Amendment supporters who say they are going to shoot his dog and that someone has been harassing his girlfriend by calling her cellphone.
“There has been a substantial negative and very ugly response,” Hemmert elaborated. “The thing that I have learned over the past three days is that there are a lot of unhinged people who own AR-15s, and I am convinced now more than ever that those people really should not be trusted with anything more dangerous than a butter knife.”

Can't argue with that.  Sick fucks with guns.
(March 20, 2018 at 10:57 pm)Minimalist Wrote:

It's a long thread and I may have missed it, are you for complete abolition?  Complete disarmament of the public?
I'm a strict constructionalist when it comes to the 2d Amendment.  This is what the FF had in mind.

[Image: graveceremonies.gif]

No automatic or semi-automatic weapons in civilian hands.
(March 21, 2018 at 3:31 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I'm a strict constructionalist when it comes to the 2d Amendment.  This is what the FF had in mind.

Not to mention that before the reinterpretation, or as I like to call it the misinterpretation, of the second amendment guns were only meant to be owned and used by the militia.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
People could own hunting rifles, shotguns or pistols.

Of course, in 1789 they looked like this:

[Image: 38936_1.jpg][Image: DSC_1315.jpg]

[Image: 11027905_1.jpg?v=8CE3D172C03B040]

Guns were also quite expensive.  Well out of the range of most people.
Quote:In the matter of reforming things, as distinct from deforming them, there is one plain and simple principle; a principle which will probably be called a paradox. There exists in such a case a certain institution or law; let us say, for the sake of simplicity, a fence or gate erected across a road. The more modern type of reformer goes gaily up to it and says, “I don’t see the use of this; let us clear it away.” To which the more intelligent type of reformer will do well to answer: “If you don’t see the use of it, I certainly won’t let you clear it away. Go away and think. Then, when you can come back and tell me that you do see the use of it, I may allow you to destroy it.

G.K. Chesterton - 1929
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
(March 21, 2018 at 3:31 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I'm a strict constructionalist when it comes to the 2d Amendment.  This is what the FF had in mind.

Was that an answer in preparation for an argument?  It doesn't seem very pragmatic.  I don't have any intent to argue.  I only mention it because I feel that 'No automatic or semi-automatic weapons in civilian hands.' will ever be a reality, even if it were policy.  At least not where I live. You should hear some of the things said by people around me, one even making plans to hide caches of weapons.  Crazy.
(March 21, 2018 at 3:35 pm)Lutrinae Wrote:

Not to mention that before the reinterpretation, or as I like to call it the misinterpretation, of the second amendment guns were only meant to be owned and used by the militia.

Who did that? The militiamen were supposed to bring their own pieces to drill.

(March 21, 2018 at 3:57 pm)rskovride Wrote:

Was that an answer in preparation for an argument?  It doesn't seem very pragmatic.  I don't have any intent to argue.  I only mention it because I feel that 'No automatic or semi-automatic weapons in civilian hands.' will ever be a reality, even if it were policy.  At least not where I live. You should hear some of the things said by people around me, one even making plans to hide caches of weapons.  Crazy.
I'm in favor of single-shot per load only guns of any type. One round per barrel, max two barrels for shotguns, one barrel for everything else.
Quote: I'm in favor of single-shot per load only guns of any type. One round per barrel, max two barrels for shotguns, one barrel for everything else.

All I'm saying is that when making a policy or editing the 2nd amendment, what citizens will actually accept, should be considered.

I agree that the 2nd is out of date, how could the FF's have known the atrocities that would be committed in the 20th century alone that are related to the essence of the 2nd. Disarmament of civilians was pretty much a precondition for lots of terrible things in the last 100 years.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If the 25th amendment wasn't meant for Trump, then who was it meant for? GODZILLA 24 1769 October 20, 2018 at 1:22 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Ivanka insulting the mothers of all immigrants, or better: all immigrants. WinterHold 22 2277 May 31, 2018 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Can someone tell me where in the 2nd amendment it says you can carry machine guns? NuclearEnergy 310 72635 May 16, 2017 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Paul Ryan (must watch) 39 second vid Manowar 2 1159 March 7, 2017 at 8:30 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  America Divided: Second Civil War Coming? Secular Elf 81 13045 February 24, 2017 at 9:37 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Naturally. The Fuckers Only Care About The Second Amendment. Minimalist 14 1983 December 10, 2016 at 7:48 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Trump's 2nd amendment call to arms not a criminal offense? Whateverist 17 3135 August 11, 2016 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Petition: second referendum for leaving the EU robvalue 37 4387 June 25, 2016 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Fuckhead Judge Faces Second Ouster AFTT47 3 1178 May 7, 2016 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  All Hail The Free Market Minimalist 7 2408 September 26, 2015 at 5:23 pm
Last Post: Minimalist