Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Petition: second referendum for leaving the EU
Petition: second referendum for leaving the EU
If you feel that this referendum was run poorly or unjustly, please consider adding your name to the petition here. (UK residents only, I imagine.)

Personally, I feel a 52% victory is woefully insufficient for a decision of this magnitude which affects not just all of Britain, but the rest of the world too. I'd like to see another one with a 60% threshold, as suggested by the petition.

It's already reached over a million votes, so it must be debated (it only needed 10,000 for that). But please consider signing anyway, to show the government how unhappy we are with this debacle.

I'm aware we have people who disagree. That's fine. No need to rant here, although I can't stop you if you really want to.

Thank you!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: Petition: second referendum for leaving the EU
From a purely personal perspective (nice alliteration, huh?) the worst part of Brexit is the almost certain return of a physical, armed border between NI and the Republic, something which hasn't been since the GFA.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
That is utterly awful, yes. I don't know what will happen between England and Scotland, should they ditch us.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
Holy shit!

Index of my best videos
I signed the petition. Although I don't think much will come of it. Thanks for sharing anyway.

Great, thank you Smile

They have to be talking about ways to get out of it. This will give them some leverage.

Index of my best videos
I doubt anything will come of this petition, even if half the country were to sign it. Farage and Johnson have been working for a long while towards leaving the EU, they got exactly what they wanted, even though they probably can't believe their luck, and will not let this victory out of their cold, dead hands.

At this point I can't think of anything that can stop UK from ultimately leaving, although I imagine the "Brexiters" will want to prolong this process, because they haven't really planned for success.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(June 25, 2016 at 7:18 am)Homeless Nutter Wrote: I doubt anything will come of this petition, even if half the country were to sign it. Farage and Johnson have been working for a long while towards leaving the EU, they got exactly what they wanted, even though they probably can't believe their luck, and will not let this victory out of their cold, dead hands.

You know, I wonder what they get out of it. It can be safely said, they're not having the wellbeing of the people in mind, but an agenda of their own.

In the case of Johnson, there's at least some kind of explanation, since he probably achieved his victory by kicking Dave out of office, but what's Farage's deal?
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

This train is off the rails, right into the sea of discontent.

Index of my best videos
(June 25, 2016 at 7:23 am)abaris Wrote: You know, I wonder what they get out of it. It can be safely said, they're not having the wellbeing of the people in mind, but an agenda of their own.

In the case of Johnson, there's at least some kind of explanation, since he probably achieved his victory by kicking Dave out of office, but what's Farage's deal?

I'm not sure, but I suspect, that he simply wanted to score political points with UKIP constituents. Whatever economical and political consequences leaving EU may have - the ideas of controlled immigration and freedom from outside regulations will always resonate with certain portion of the voting public. If nothing else - Farage will always be the guy, who made the big bad EU go away. Sure - at least half the population will always hate him for it, but then - they always have.

Although I also suspect, that Farage didn't really count on winning the referendum. The campaign was a good way of presenting himself as an important political player and had the vote to leave failed - he'd still be able to point to his efforts, in order to blame pro-EU politicians for whatever issues might come up in the near future.

In other words, I think he was just doing his usual xenophobic song-and-dance, pandering to his base - and he got more than he hoped for.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone leaving if Trump wins? onlinebiker 39 2420 October 27, 2020 at 5:35 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Petition to abolish the Electoral College Foxaèr 44 1746 October 19, 2020 at 11:41 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  All Hail the Second Amendment Minimalist 3795 642255 August 14, 2020 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Paul Ryan (must watch) 39 second vid Manowar 2 1154 March 7, 2017 at 8:30 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  America Divided: Second Civil War Coming? Secular Elf 81 12705 February 24, 2017 at 9:37 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Naturally. The Fuckers Only Care About The Second Amendment. Minimalist 14 1971 December 10, 2016 at 7:48 am
Last Post: GUBU
  How are you voting in the EU referendum? Ashground 335 34022 June 25, 2016 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Fuckhead Judge Faces Second Ouster AFTT47 3 1159 May 7, 2016 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  NZ to hold flag referendum in '16 c172 4 959 March 24, 2016 at 6:47 am
Last Post: c172
  I'm leaving Ron Paul land Videodrome 28 3164 February 12, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: Aegon