Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 13, 2024, 12:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Last Movie You Watched
RE: The Last Movie You Watched
(May 19, 2020 at 6:24 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(May 19, 2020 at 6:04 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: 'A sword never jams, never has to be reloaded.  Close on a man with a gun fast and he can't use it.  Close on a man with a sword and you'll be spitted.' - Robert Heinlein, author, military officer, fencing champion.

Boru
Quote:Heinlein's experience in the Navy exerted a strong influence on his character and writing. In 1929, he graduated from the Naval Academy with the equivalent of a Bachelor of Arts degree in Engineering, ranking fifth in his class academically but with a class standing of 20th of 243 due to disciplinary demerits. Shortly after graduation, he was commissioned as an ensign by the U.S. Navy. He advanced to lieutenant, junior grade while serving aboard the new aircraft carrier USS Lexington in 1931, where he worked in radio communications, then in its earlier phases, with the carrier's aircraft. The captain of this carrier was Ernest J. King, who served as the Chief of Naval Operations and Commander-in-Chief, U.S. Fleet during World War II. Heinlein was frequently interviewed during his later years by military historians who asked him about Captain King and his service as the commander of the U.S. Navy's first modern aircraft carrier. Heinlein also served as gunnery officer aboard the destroyer USS Roper in 1933 and 1934, reaching the rank of lieutenant.[21] His brother, Lawrence Heinlein, served in the U.S. Army, the U.S. Air Force, and the Missouri National Guard, reaching the rank of major general in the National Guard.[22]

What the article doesn't mention is that he was also 'first sword' at the Naval Academy for two years.

They say his fencing was pretty good as well.  Tongue

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
He certainly did well against the Soul Stealer. Levitate
(May 19, 2020 at 8:04 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: He certainly did well against the Soul Stealer.  Levitate

Well, motivation counts for a lot.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 19, 2020 at 6:04 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(May 19, 2020 at 5:34 am)onlinebiker Wrote: Guns out.

You blade people are soooo cute.

Tongue

'A sword never jams, never has to be reloaded.  Close on a man with a gun fast and he can't use it.  Close on a man with a sword and you'll be spitted.' - Robert Heinlein, author, military officer, fencing champion.

Boru
I have a Smith and Wesson model 610. 10mm revolver. It has never jammed in the thousands of rounds I have shot through it. I can reload in in less than 2 seconds - more like 1.5. (The cartridges are on a spring clip that allow 6 to load as quickly as one.)

The day that I have enough visigoths with swords attacking me that I can't reload fast enough to keep up I'll think about admitting Bob Heinlen was right.

Or I'll grab the AR15 and a stack of 30 round magazines.

That seems more likely.
(May 19, 2020 at 12:26 am)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(May 19, 2020 at 12:14 am)*Deidre* Wrote: Knives Out

Sword out.

What's the prize for the winner?

An all expense paid trip to nowhere. Sad
So, after some soul-searching, I've decided that this week's entry in the Deep Hurting Project is Rob Reiner's 1994 opus North.

It's most notorious for Roger Ebert's famous quote:
Quote:I hated this movie. Hated hated hated hated hated this movie. Hated it. Hated every simpering stupid vacant audience-insulting moment of it. Hated the sensibility that thought anyone would like it. Hated the implied insult to the audience by its belief that anyone would be entertained by it.
And, surprisingly, Ebert only glanced over why exactly this film is bad, and it would take until the movie was reviewed by the Nostalgia Critic for me to figure  out how horrible it really was. And given that it wouldn't go onto DVD until 2012, it was the best I could do except for the upload I was fairly certain was incomplete since it only worked up to a bit less than 80 minutes if the QuickLoosenHisPants upload from YouTube is the same one I saw over a decade ago. And now, we have this upload, in 720p, no less.

• 4:15: North isn't being listened to by his parents at the dinner table. And this is enough to give him a heart attack. Seriously? Maybe if their yelling was directed at him, but no, they're just complaining about their jobs.
  • 4:58: As one Tevye-lookalike to another, this is not a good look for Elijah Wood.
  • 6:03: "Loosen his pants?" How the fuck is that good medical advice?
  • 8:13: This secret spot is in the middle of a furniture showcase in a mall. This secret spot is in the middle of a fucking mall.
  • 8:31: Bruce Willis is the fucking Easter Bunny.
  • 9:20: Why would an independently wealthy man moonlight as a holiday mascot?
  • 10:17:  Yes, we get it, North is a Gary Stu.
  • 11:20: He'd settle for Mozart's parents? The stage parents who most likely caused significant hardship and might have led to him being an absolute prat IRL?
  • 14:17: What the shit kind of pants factory is this?
  • 17:18: They won't take this lying down. Obvious joke is obvious.
  • 17:52: Why is he pleading the fifth for a classroom question about the fucking cotton gin?
  • 18:30: Wait, I'm confused, is this a hearing or not?
  • 19:10: You just know that Stefan Molyneux is jizzing his pants right now.
  • 20:20: The Little Rascals weren't orphans. They were more or less free-range kids still under the care of their parents.
  • 21:57: The Texan parents are driving a golf cart with longhorn horns and a horn that plays "Yellow Rose of Texas." Why do I get the impression that this is going to set the tone for the entire rest of the movie?
  • 24:00: Except for the corn, this is more or less my actual order.
  • 24:36: So, the fuck?
  • 25:20: FUCK THE WHAT? This has to be the most random musical number I've ever seen in one of these movies.

• 29:45: Do you think ElectroVoice paid to have their merch in the film?
  • 31:42: TIME ZONES DO NOT WORK THAT WAY! GOOD NIGHT!
  • 33:07: The governor's wife is the only barren area on the Hawaiian Islands. That look is priceless.
  • 35:03: Did nobody think that having the prelude to a tentacle rape on every ad for Hawaiian vacation would be a bad idea that might turn everyone but the most degenerate people off it? And this little revelation only makes it worse!
  • 40:10: And they decided to drive the plane straight into the window only to have it bump a bit against it, in what I think is a misguided shout-out to the scene in Airplane
  • 41:14: Kathy Bates as the Eskimo mom. Tizh would have a field day with this if he was still here.

• 43:32: Just so we're clear, this tradition is (for the most part) bullshit. All evidence suggests that this was practiced solely during times of famine, and only as a last resort. I suppose there's always a possible exception, since the Inuit lived in their lands for millennia before the Inuit had their first contact with Martin Frobisher in 1576, but the available evidence suggests that this is the case. And, furthermore, the last recorded case? 1939.
  • 48:06: So, they've been in a coma for 76 days, and they've stayed in the same condition with no change, and they're now exhibits in the Smithsonian? Okay, fun fact, I went to Washington DC four years after this film was made, and went to some of the Smithsonian's museums and it looked nothing like this.
  • 50:18: Well, at least they were merciful to the Amish. And at least that line was actually a bit funny.
  • 50:36: Why is he the Emperor of China? Long after the 1912 abolition of the monarchy and the PRC turning the Forbidden City into a tourist trap?
  • 51:12: I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is bullshit.
  • 51:30: North is apparently a literal motherfucker now.
  • 52:00: Well, with Jerry Lewis on every channel, odds are, The King of Comedy has to be on one of them.
  • 53:08: I get the impression that that daughter's going to be going places...
  • 54:17: North's parents are back to life?
  • 58:00: Apparently, the only good family is this batch of surrogate Cleavers. Implications are staggering.
  • 59:41: We don't want Hugh? And North is convinced this is about him?
  • 60:23: Why is he leaving? Did nobody even bother to give him a reason?
  • 64:10: What, no "And the Band Played On" for this carousel shootout? 
  • 65:15: Who the fuck is Adam? Okay, apparently, he's Jussie Fucking Smollett. And to think that in about 25 years, he'd be making up a racist attack for sympathy, unintentionally setting back civil rights a couple decades.
  • 69:23:  Why do I get the feeling NASA is going to sue the other NASA? And could they really not come up with a better name than National Association of Smoke Alarm People?
  • 73:04: A vulgar joke about testicles, in this kid's film.
  • 75:40: And it took them this long to notice that the blood on his old cap is actually borscht? Fucking Hell, I used up the video quota with the "Stupid Fucking White Man."
  • 77:07: Being shocked at the word "Hell?" You have no room to lampshade the family-unfriendliness of such a scene, movie.
  • 78:15: Why does the judge have his office in the same furniture store as North's secret spot?
  • 79:56: So it was all just a dream? So all the drama that's been going for over an hour is all meaningless? And North imagined all these other cultures to be as racist as they are?
  • 80:50: I'm not even going to comment on that coin.
  • 86:30: What the fuck did you have to rope in the International Buddhist Progress Society for?
Years later, Reiner would defend this film, saying:
Rob Reiner Wrote:I loved doing it, and some of the best jokes I ever had in a movie, are in that movie. I made this little fable, and people got mad at me, because, you know, I had done When Harry Met Sally..., and Misery, and A Few Good Men, and everybody said 'Oh, it should be a more important kind of movie.' I said, 'Why? Why can't you just make a little slice of a fable or something?
And he fundamentally misunderstands the nature of the objections. It's not that it's a little fable. It's that it's a little fable done executed so horribly. The first half hour of the film is contrived as shit, cloying in a way that'd probably even turn off kids. And then, it takes a turn for the shockingly stereotypical, with insulting racist stereotypes, and a moral that's completely blown open by the whole "all just a dream" twist that renders it all a pointless waste of time. Maybe if you gave everyone some sort of depth, maybe giving them flaws that aren't totally tied to racist stereotypes, it might actually work. But they didn't. Hell, even making North some sort of everyman blank slate might have been salvageable if you didn't treat him like the Second Coming or at least have him not dreaming up all these racist stereotypes that never get challenged. Kind of undermines the whole "smart, sympathetic, kid" angle. And apart from that, it's filled with lazy jokes that kids will probably find tired, especially with the shitty delivery, and meanwhile, we have vulgar jokes that wouldn't fly for a kids' movie, and as for the adults?  They're going to know how not okay all the racial stereotypes are, and they're going to stay away in droves. So, after a run of seven films, most of which could easily be regarded as great, he made an absolute bomb that was useless for any audience. And while some films that failed at the box office in their initial run end up finding an audience and eventually become regarded as masterpieces, The Wizard of Oz (which I'm going to assume was a major influence on this film) and Night of the Hunter (my third-favourite film of all time) among them, the only afterlife North has had is among masochists like me looking to cringe and educate themselves about the worst cinema has to offer. At least in this respect, it does not disappoint.

So, next week, I plan to watch If Footmen Tire You, What Will Horses Do?, a fundamentalist scare film about what could happen if Communism sprouted up in Mississippi. And hopefully, if Pritzker doesn't extend the lockdown in Illinois yet again, I'll be back at the library, checking out films like I've been jonesing to do for over two months.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Finally got round to streaming 'Joker'. While I really, really, REALLY liked it, I never actually got the feeling that I was watching a film about The Joker. I thought it was a brilliant depiction of how a mentally ill individual could go from 'manageable' to 'full on psychopath', but it could have been any individual - there was nothing uniquely 'Joker-ish' about it.

Joaquin Phoenix was masterful, De Niro was a let-down - it may have been the role, but I got the sense that he was phoning it in (typical of his last few films).

9/10.

Boru
Been around too many crazies to want to watch that one.
Nerd alert!

I bought the Skywalker Saga boxed set today. So I've started watching the movies in order.

Phantom Menace through to Revenge of the Sith.
Solo
Rogue One
Then episodes 4 to 9.
Dying to live, living to die.
(May 29, 2020 at 6:57 am)The Valkyrie Wrote: Nerd alert!

I bought the Skywalker Saga boxed set today.  So I've started watching the movies in order.

Phantom Menace through to Revenge of the Sith.
Solo
Rogue One
Then episodes 4 to 9.

Are you atoning for some horrible sin?

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  About last night (A Haiku) no one 2 565 March 18, 2023 at 8:58 am
Last Post: no one
  What is your movie guilty pleasure? arewethereyet 51 3779 December 18, 2022 at 12:42 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Charles Bronson movie star Woah0 9 807 September 12, 2022 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  In Hunchback of Notre Dame Disney movie, does Quasimodo imagine the gargoyles Woah0 5 583 August 24, 2022 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Woah0
  How come "Snow White Disney movie" was so disliked by J.R.R Tolkien and C.S Lewis Woah0 3 469 August 21, 2022 at 10:56 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Soul 2020 movie Woah0 6 507 August 19, 2022 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  What Were You Dreaming About Last Night? Disagreeable 17 1709 February 2, 2022 at 11:51 am
Last Post: no one
  Last night my 10-year old daughter said that she did not believe in God. Jehanne 22 2272 December 26, 2021 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Horror movie suggestions BrokenQuill92 16 1689 December 7, 2021 at 5:25 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  The last book you read zwanzig 27 1774 October 18, 2021 at 9:45 am
Last Post: brewer